Chinese New Year

banslug

Cathlete
Tomorrow is the Chinese New Year...the year of the Rooster. I thought it might be cute to do something for/with my kids. do any of you know any traditions or anything that I can throw together real quick? I thought I remember reading somewhere that kids in China receive candy in red bags for this holiday.

Anybody?

Gayle

My girlfriend has invited us over for Chinese New Year twice. Oranges and tangerines are good gifts (though I forgot what they symbolize), also gifts for the kids including games is big as well. Someone else might have more suggestions.

My co-worker brought in a ton of different fun Chinese candies to celebrate the New Year!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! to all who is celebrating!!!!

She also brought in the red bags you were speaking about to show me - but she said the kids get MONEY in them!!!! :7

Yes - money (just a few dollars) goes into the little red envelopes. My parents and grandparents always called it "Lucky Money" to explain it to me and my brother. My brother and I are American-born Chinese and didn't always understand the traditions. I really should have paid more attention.

Michelle

Thanks for the responses everyone! I am going to put some money in red envelopes for them, then take them on a 'tour of China' on the internet tomorrow so they can read and see what we are celebrating!

Thanks!

Gayle

>Yes - money (just a few dollars) goes into the little red
>envelopes. My parents and grandparents always called it
>"Lucky Money" to explain it to me and my brother. My brother
>and I are American-born Chinese and didn't always understand
>the traditions. I really should have paid more attention.
>
>Michelle

Yes, I believe the money is for good luck and prosperity. I'm also American-born Chinese (as are my parents), but we still follow many of the traditions. The "catch" to the giving of the "lay see" is that it is usually the married adults that give it to the younger generation of (unmarried) children. I just got married last October, so this will be my first year giving out the lucky money. I figure I'll give the envelopes to my younger cousins, cousins' children, and a couple to each of my two younger brothers -- even though they are in their 30's they're not married and should get a kick out of it! :)

There are also special foods that are eaten around this time. The one that comes to mind is a vegetarian dish called "jai" (rhymes with "eye"). It is made out of a lot of chopped up Asian food ingredients (mushroom, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, rice noodles, etc.). Haven't learned to make it myself, but my mother makes sure to save some for when we visit.

Then there's the different food items that are left out overnight on New Year's Eve (I think for the ancestors who come to visit that night), some cooked chicken, dried watermelon seeds, dried coconut, rock candy, tangerines. My mother always leaves a large plate of these things on the kitchen counter with a nightlight on all night. She also puts a little plate of the seeds, coconut, rock candy, and a tangerine in each room of the house.

Well, there are other traditions, but these are the ones that sort of stick out in my mind. I feel a little badly that I don't follow all of these in my own home. I'll maybe put a tangerine or two out on the counter...I suppose if and when I have children I'd like to pass these traditions down to them, though, so I try to observe and remember while my parents are still around...

Oranges symbolize prosperity. So do grapes and peaches. Pomegranates will also make a good gift. The seeds in the pomegranates symbolize potential for all kinds of opportunities.

A lot of specially made moon cakes make their appearance in Asian stores this time of year. That would also make a good gift.

Since it's the year of the Rooster, a figurine or statue of a rooster would also be good. Other options are that of a peacock, phoenix, parrot or cardinal. Anything mostly RED and colorful to symbolize fire, one of two elements that 2005 is devoid of. That other missing element is water, so a table fountain would also make a good gift.

Hope this helps,
Pinky

Snowbee - thanks for this information. This is great. I have 3 little kids and I will give them "lay see" tonight from me and my dh. I do have the little red envelopes (although I think they're for weddings. My kids won't know any better right now and that's all I have.) My dh is an American but is very interested in our traditions. He even tried to learn Cantonese when my mom was still alive so that he could talk to her. I do want to pass these traditions on to my kids. I need to check with my dad to find out more while he is still around.

Thanks again,
Michhelle

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.