Checking in on call

sleepingmom

Cathlete
A few weeks ago I asked for suggestions on how to get through a long call shift at the hospital and still maintain healthy eating. Today is my first long call (24 hours) since I asked, so I thought I would check in. We have been incredibly busy, so I haven't had a lot of time to eat. I brought a really nice big salad for lunch and a mix of quinoa, vegies and grilled chicken for dinner. Snacks have been peanut butter on whole grain bread and dried apricots, blueberries, and two tangerines. All in all, bringing more snacks has really helped (you are so smart!). I have to admit that the nurses haven't brought the usual donuts, pizza, candy that they usually do, so I haven't really been tempted. I cannot leave the Operating Rooms, so going to the cafeteria is not an option. So, while I would like to be proud of myself for not going off my diet, I think I have been successful because I have not had any alternatives!!

Next challenge is when I arrive at home (8AM), very tired (might get about an hour of sleep if I am lucky on call), and then typically I graze until I collapse about 10AM. Carbs seem to be the thing I go after the most, and I really get after it..bread, bagels, cookies, brownies, you name it! So if anyone has suggestions on how to avoid that diet bomb, I would love to hear it!

How come you do not go to bed as soon as you get off?? I work night shifts sometimes and my eating at work is probably better then what it is when I spend the night watching t.v with DH:eek: But when I get off I am usually hungry and if I don't go straight to bed, I end up eating alot.And sometimes its not even hunger, its just the fact that I don't have enough energy to do anything else.And I pick through the cupboards and the fridge.If I am starving, of course I will eat something before I go to bed.But most times I will wait.In my eyes, its the same as eating something in the night time and then going to bed.
So..when I am hungry I will have a small bowl of cereal or a slice of toast.I know its carbs but its fast. I would suggest eating something when you get home.The cals from a bowl of cereal, probably aren't near the cals your eating when you have a picking frenzy.:)
Lori:)

I usually spend a little time with my kids, talk to my DH etc. before I fall asleep. I need to unwind a bit from the call...today has been especially brutal. I've thought about taking a shower right when I get home, and having the kids come talk to me in the bed while I relax. But I think you are absoutely right about being so tired you cannot do anything else but eat.

I really appreciate your spending time trying to help me. Most of the time when I flub up on my eating, I walk around feeling like such a weakling/ failure etc. When I hear from others...that other folks go through similar ups and downs to me, it helps me realize that I am not alone, not a weakling, and that it is okay for me to take a break from beating on myself!

smom, I used to work second shift in the lab. I could never come home from that hectic job and climb right into bed. I always had to unwind with TV, a book or something. I don't have any great suggestions for your diet. Sounds like you are doing great. Just be proud of making it through the day eating healthy and hope that good feeling helps you avoid the "bad" snacks. Good luck.

Oh, don't ever feel alone! I use to have my weeks planned when I had a "normal" job. I knew when I was going to workout and I ate at meal time but when I started here, everything was thrown for a loop.I didn't know what I was doing 1/2 of the time:) We also have loads of ice cream here and cookies.So around 6ish I use to get pretty hungry and I would start eating cookies, but only the chocolate chips! hahaha I would go through about 3-4 cookies like this and then when I would get home, I would have some cheese and crackers, or more cookies.Now that I have finally gotten the swing of things I know what I am doing.
For one thing, I made myself sick of the GD cookies...and ice cream is only appealing for so long.Then when I realized that I was eating more cals, just by picking, thats when I decided that if I were really hungry when I got home, I would have breakfast.And I also lost a couple of lbs this way to.
I can understand you needing to whine down though b/c your job is alot more heart pumping then mine.You could try getting in the bath, that would make anyone lazy.When I get home, I can't wait to get into the bed and if its a school day, I am usually home for about 30 min before I am alone in the house but on weekends as soon as I get home I crawl into bed.Mainly b/c I love crawling into bed while DH is still there cause its nice and warm! Geez..I wish I were there now! hahaha
One battle at a time right? You'll get the hang of it yet!
Lori:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.