Cheap! Healthy! Yummy! Vegan! Lentils!

pixiesis

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,

I've been pretty MIA lately but I just had to share with you my recent (re)discovery of lentils. OMG, these little guys fit the bill in soooo many ways. Here's my list of what I love about lentils:

1. CHEAPER THAN DIRT: I pay $1.19 for a 1-lb bag and that yielded 7 generous servings (1.5 cups or so). That comes to about 16 cents/serving. I've been having it with pre-maid, single-serve containers of brown/wild rice, which is expensive compared with from-scratch rice, but even so, one of these rice/lentils meals comes to $1.16. When I make my own rice, I'm guessing that I can get it down to around 50-60 cents/meal. Compare this to the expensive frozen Amy's meals I was having (I pay at least $4 for these), and I'm saving major cash.

2. Very nutritious: lentils have fiber, complex carbs, folic acid (more than any other unfortified food), are low calorie, low fat, contain iron, and are protein rich.

3. Super easy and quick to make. You don't have to soak them, and they cook up very quickly. Once I have a big batch prepped, I can get lunch ready in less time than it takes to heat up a frozen meal.

4. Tasty and satisfying. I really like the taste. You can dress them up or keep it simple. Lately I've been adding a few drops of toasted sesame oil, tamari, garlic and onion powder, and hot pepper flakes, and Voila! Also, this lunch really sticks with me and keeps me from late afternoon snacking.

5. Vegan! And you don't have to buy organic (dried beans are considered low-pesticide residue foods).

Have I sold anyone? :p

Huzzah for lentils!

I was sold on lentils after watching Alton Brown make his lentil soup on "Good Eats." I make it on Sunday and bring it to work for lunch for as long as it lasts. Recipe here!

I Loooooooove Lentils! I can even eat them plain, straight out of the pot. But they're so versatile. Lentils and rice, Lentil chili, Lentil burgers (if you want to go to that sort of trouble), and on and on.

No need to sell me! I make lentils all the time, in all kinds of ways! I just made Tosca Reno's Stellar Bean Soup that called for lentil plus all KINDS of other beans! YUMMY!

Gayle

I'm a lentil lover too! I used to have a non vegan recipe for fish with lentils. I made it with tilapia and shredded carrots with a balsmaic vinegar and dijon mustard sauce-so good!

I love lentils too!

Afreet, I was looking at that recipe, and it looks great. I have to ask, though, what are "grains of paradise?" :eek:

I love lentils, too!
I love having a big bowl of lentil soup in the winter.
I also like lentil loaf (I know, very 70's veggie!) and lentil burgers.

Another thing to add to your list: they are easy to sprout, and are much easier to digest than other legume sprouts.

I love lentils too!

Afreet, I was looking at that recipe, and it looks great. I have to ask, though, what are "grains of paradise?" :eek:

Grains of Paradise are sort of like peppercorns, but with a warmer, less sharp flavor than traditional black pepper. I found them in Whole Foods, and I like them, but I think black pepper would work just fine in their place.

I also like this warm lentil salad (a la Julia Child). The photo on the website shows eggs on it, but the actual recipe is vegan. And delicious...or should I say...LENTILICIOUS??

:)

Last edited:
I have a pantry of 2 different kind of lentils. I love cooking them with my brown rice and I usually eat this with egg whites. I'm on day two of my vegan week so I can't have it with the egg whites but lentils will still be on the menu.

I'm a lentil lover too! I used to have a non vegan recipe for fish with lentils. I made it with tilapia and shredded carrots with a balsmaic vinegar and dijon mustard sauce-so good!

Klaudia, any chance you still have that recipe??? I eat tilapia several times a week and would LOVE a recipe that uses it!!!

Gayle

Sounds like a recipe that can be veganized too! If you don't have the recipe anymore, maybe you can recall some of the basics from memory, and we can play with it.

Also, has anyone tried Lizano sauce???? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salsa_Lizano It is so yummy on lentils and rice, or just about anything!!! :p

Maybe yummy, but not really something for a discussion about 'healthy' lentil dishes, LOL!

"The ingredients include water, sugar, salt, vegetables (onions, carrots, cauliflower, cucumbers), spices, acetic acid, pepper, starch, hydrolyzed corn protein, mustard, turmeric, sodium benzoate, sodium bisulfite, and sulfur dioxide."

I love lentils. Green and red. You can make a great red lentil soup in less then an hour. I also make a lentil bolognese pasta sauce. It's really good with both pasta and rice.

I'm glad there are so many fellow lentil-lovers. Kathryn, I'll have to try sprouting them sometime. I just googled sprouting and it seems like it's pretty easy.

Nancy, normally I cook the lentils and rice separately and throw them in the fridge (separately), then I just heat up a serving of lentils along with a serving of rice. I just kind of mix it up in a bowl and add in some tamari, garlic powder, sesame oil, etc.

Last night I made lentils and replaced some of the water with veggie stock and also added a bouillon cube. Very tasty!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.