cereal vs. banana

Hello Bobbi & LUXX,

I very much agree that the obesity epidemic is overwhelming. I think a lot of people have the misconception that fruit, veggies, and healthy foods are really expensive. When not in season, fruit may be costly, but usually, they aren't so bad. You could probably buy a container of strawberries for the price of a big bag of Doritos- and obviously the strawberries would be the better choice lol. I live near a Trader Joe's also and am in fact on my way there in a few hours. I go with the organics too as long as the price isn't outrageous. Trader Joe's really has great values! Love their own brand too!

This has become a very interesting thread :)

Gina

RE: cereal vs. banana(((Gina)))

I never heard of a trader Joe's but here in PA fruits and veggies are very expensive ...yes even when they are in season sometimes it's costly and I do try and buy organic but that's even more expensive!! I shop around and watch the sales and that usually determines what fruit/veggies I eat. we have market too but the farmers are trying to get enough money to live so they are not that cheap either. be glad you have a trader joes- it sounds neat....meanwhile I watch my flyers and shop as cheaply as I can- we do have an aldi's which I never went to yet- I heard you can get some cheaper items there (as long as they are fresh)

RE: cereal vs. banana(((Gina)))

Sorry LUXX- just checked these out on MapQuest- noticed on your profile that you live in Sunbury- all the stores are 2 or 3 hours away :(

NatalieMay...

I bet the corn flakes mixed with whole milk would come out lower GI than the banana. BUT, you could also throw some nuts in your cereal to help the GI rating. Wayne is right, it also depends on what it is you eat with it. Adding protein and fat to a carb will always change its original glycemic rating. Calorically and nutritionally, you are right, they are the same. I would expect though that the banana could offer important phytochemicals that fend of disease? That is something that maybe no one has mentioned.

Bananas, watermelon, and pineapple could very well be the worlds perfect food.....after a workout. Every food has its place in a healthy diet, including cornflakes!

Bobbi.....you have really set the bar high for that cereal eh? 10 grams of fiber?? Ouch. Let me guess, Fiber One...All Bran? I can think of few that would measure up (maybe lots at Trader Joes):) A great high fiber cereal that I LOVE that tastes as close to "kid stuff" as you are going to get is Quaker's CORN BRAN. Mmmmmmmm.....even my brother likes it!

Boy, usually people like bananas!:)

Janice

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.