Caution-Promoting Product on Forum

tvan_horn

Cathlete
Let me preface this post by saying that I am not trying to stir anything up or accuse anyone of wrong-doing. I guess I just want to make sure that we are all careful regarding those who promote products on the forum.

I was at the Runners World forums this morning and read a post that had some links to discussions on this board. This post was regarding an individual who has been on RW promoting a product that she sells and then in her posts at RW she includes links to the discussions that have occured here.

The Runners World ladies were suggesting that the individual who is selling the products, also posts as a consumer of the products and gives all kinds of rave reviews about her own goods.

I myself have offered suggetions about shoes and sports bras, but these are not products that I sell and can make a profit on. So, please understand, this is not what I am talking about.

Just be cautious!

Tina

I saw the same thing yesterday on Karen Voights forum. It seemed rather strange that people's likeness for vitamins were linked back here and not on a more nutritional type forum.

Hi,

I am really not sure what the problem is or what we should be cautious about - other forum readers comments? Anyway - I work for a company that sells recreational products and if someone here posted and wanted to know about the product I would chime in why they should buy from my company. Is there something illegal with doing this?

Anyway - I think I am missing something but still isn't it the buyer beware.

Winter

Winter-I think the problem is that we "trust" each other's opinions here, to be honest and unbiased. Someone that is selling something is obviously NOT unbiased. VF has a strict rule about this, and I think it's a good one. If you are promoting something, just SAY so in your post and then it's not a big deal

I've posted about my love for Adidas clothes, New Balance shoes, etc.... .but the difference is that I have nothing to gain by saying this, so I assume others can take me at my word, and not wonder if I'm just saying something to profit. HTH!

ETA: When I said "if you are promoting something..." I didn't mean YOU specifically, but a "general" you. There is nothing illegal about promoting your own company's products; but there is something unsavory about someone that might be dishonest about it.

Winter, you are absolutely correct --let the buyer beware. That is all I am trying to reiterate.

We do trust each other here and we all have a common interest -- Cathe workouts. I am just concerned that there could be come future problems if outsiders attempt to use our own trust against us for their own profit by pretending to be "one of us".

I know your not talking about me but just wanted to say that when I see some one requesting information on something...say heart rate monitors...I'll lend my opinion and post the site I purchased from only because i want them to get a good deal. I'd hate for them to buy elsewhere and spend more $$$ only because they didn't know about the site I bought from. HOWVER, no profit involved!

Again, I know that's not what your talking about, I just don't want anyone to misunderstand the basis of your post. Everyone should be encouraged to offer opinions and feedback on products when asked. however, it is frustrating when the only time someone posts is in an effort to make a sale. I think that's what you mean;) .

sarah--Me too! I got a smokin' deal on a great HR monitor from someone I DONT' KNOW on ebay. I always tell people about it. But I don't know them or the company or anything, and you're right, there's a big difference.

I just logged on this morning and saw this post and I thought I better write. I am the person who put that info on the Karen Voight and WHFN forum. When I read the vitamin post here, I found it very interesting. I did put it on other forums to get people to look at it because I found it very helpful for me and I was just trying to help. I'm sorry if I caused any problems by linking other people to look at that thread here. I DO NOT SELL ANY VITAMINS & would NOT make a profit by giving out the link on other forums!
I respect all of you ladies and your opinions and thoughts and I by no means meant to stir up trouble by posting at other sites. I just wanted to clear up the confusion and say that I was the person who posted at those other sites.

Chloe

Chloe,

You are not SELLING the product for a profit! You were only recommending and sharing info!!! Nothing wrong with that. Please share whenever you find a product that you use and believe in.

The post I was originally referring to that I saw on the Runners World Forum was posted by the individual selling/representing the product.

Thanks for clarifying!

I think this was a good idea to mention this issue. While I do not have a problem with people mentioning a product that they sell if it meets a need someone has already mentioned that they have, I have seen threads that look suspiciously like what you've mentioned, and it sort of bugs me, and my eye rolling starts. Esp if any of the posters have a "1" or near their name, or a low #, with regard to # of posts. They remind me of an infomercial. I hope it isn't a new trend on this board.

I hope they would not feel a need to have a policy to ban anyone from saying ANYTHING about things they sell but I think caution is absolutely due to the buyer. Interesting post.

Jen

VF has a policy on disclosing a relationship with the seller, distributor, etc. of a fitness product for a good reason. There have been quite a few people posting on there who turn out to be the seller or the instructor of a new video or DVD, and they don't disclose that fact. Instead they post about a "great new video!!" they just "found", or something similar. When enough people get curious (usually because it's their first post ever or one of the first ones) and start digging, the person is outed. Not too long ago someone did this and was asked by more than one member if she was affiliated with said workout video, and she denied it. More than once. I'm sure I'm not the only one who can appreciate why members of a forum would feel angry and betrayed by something like that, especially when it's pointed out to them there is a policy of disclosure in place, and they turn around and lie again anyway.

It may be human nature to try and get away with things, but it does nothing to endear you to a community when you do such things. It's easy to be fooled, and even more difficult to trust after something like that.

I'm not sure if there is a policy on this site concerning disclosure? I'm sure someone will know. If not, the only thing to do is be cautious and check things out before jumping on a bandwagon.

Carol
:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.