Cathes new push up challenge

wow, you ladies doing upwards of 50 push ups are amazing. I have finally managed to get to 28 before my arms were just shaking & wobbling; I stopped because I was afraid I was going to fall & smack my face on the floor. Seeing everyone else push themselves is driving me to try at least 2 more if not more on my next attempt.

Are we allowed to pause for 1 or 2 seconds at the top? I didn't think we were supposed to. My trainer always said pausing at during a weight lifting move allows the muscle to rest and wouldn't let me do that. I did them all at an average, not slow but not fast, pace with no pauses at all and tried to keep my tempo the same. I could have done more if I'd know we were allowed to pause. I may have to try again.

Challenge instructions

Are we allowed to pause for 1 or 2 seconds at the top? I didn't think we were supposed to. My trainer always said pausing at during a weight lifting move allows the muscle to rest and wouldn't let me do that. I did them all at an average, not slow but not fast, pace with no pauses at all and tried to keep my tempo the same. I could have done more if I'd know we were allowed to pause. I may have to try again.
The instructions for this challenge said "non-stop" - to me, that means no pauses.

You guys are putting me to shame! BUT, I improved from 25 to 32 on my second attempt!!! I'll take it. I guess at this point I'll shoot to break 40. Fun thread! DD, I'm so sorry about your nose! Did you fly off the bike? Thinking of you...heal quickly!

I don't pause when I do the push ups. When you do any kind of muscle training move, like weights or push ups, pausing gives the muscle a chance to recover and that's cheating-you're supposed to be fatiguing the muscle, that's what makes it get stronger. You can even rest a muscle while holding a weight. For example when doing a preacher curl, if you bring the weight too far up, it is resting. Resting is for inbetween sets, not during. Besides, I always hear my trainer's voice in my head telling me not to rest/pause between reps.
Several people said something about pausing, and I was just being funny. I do admit that the last couple ones were a little bit slower-and painful.

Keepin' it going!

Just did 65, and working on more for my next attempt!!! My arms are jello, but how great does that feel??!!!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.