Cathe's 16 week max. wt. loss rotation

darla723

Cathlete
Hi, Cathe

I'm currently finishing up week 2 of this rotation, and am enjoying it but recently read on this forum that fat loss and weight training to gain muscle shouldn't be attempted at the same time. I have been lifting the recommended weights on this rotation (not too light, but at times going to failure) and am concerned that this is why I have not lost any weight. Is there enough cardio in this rotation to achieve fat loss? Am I just toning the muscles? When the fat eventually comes off, will a loss of weight show up on the scale, or should I throw the scale away in tomorrow's garbage pick-up???

I'm kind of confused, but determined!

Thanks
Doreen

Don't confuse weight losss with fat loss. It's fine to lift (heavy) and also burn calories with cardio. What you need is a way to measure your body fat percentage. That will help you determine if you're *really* losing fat. Scales are not a good way to measure fat loss. I measure my body fat with an accumeasure caliper and find it to be quite accurate. I do a lot of cardio *and* heavy weights. You can do both. The best way to burn fat is cardio. That is how you achieve a "toned" look. Strength training is good for other reasons. It's not a big calorie burner (despite what people will tell you!).

I found a rotation in April 04. for fat loss!
It really looks tought!!!
The subjrct was called :
Cathe, need a suggestions for losing 20-30 lbs"
Hope this helps1 Good luck!

Belinda

Hi Carrie - I found it on this forum (Ask Cathe) dated Jan 5 2007. Here it is for ya!

WEEK ONE:

Mon..... Cardio Kicks
Tues....PS BBA plus a 30 minute walk/run interval program. (A seven-minute walking warm up followed by seven/four minutes cycles where you run for 3 minutes and walk for one minute). Then cool down and stretch.
Wed..... Power Max
Thurs....Interval Max
Fri..... Off
Sat..... PS SL&A
Sun..... PS CST Plus the cardio portion of Xpress Step & Intervals.

WEEK TWO:
Mon: MIC
Tues: MIS
Wed: Off
Thurs: Step Fit
Fri: MIS
Sat: A 40 minute walk run workout. Aim to run more than walk. Then cool down and stretch.
Sun: Circuit Max

WEEK THREE:
The Cross Train Express series in the order of your choice. But separate the Power Circuit video from the Leaner Legs video. Seventh day is OFF.

WEEK FOUR:
Mon: Biking for 45 minutes (if you are including some hills, then 35 minutes). Cool Down and stretch.
Tues: Step Works
Wed: PS BBA plus a 30-minute interval run/walk workout.
Thurs: PS CST Plus the same bike routine as Monday.
Fri: PS L/A
Sat: OFF
Sun: Body Max

Have fun!!!:D

Doreen- I guess it depends on your body when it comes to losing fat. Me, for instance, I tried for years to lose fat with workouts that incorporated weights and cardio to no avail. I'm not sure why I couldn't lose it with weights- then this dude I was dating (who was a certified trainer) told me to drop the weights for a month and do cardio everyday (if possible.) So I ran, I did cathe's cardio workouts, walked (if I felt as if I was overtraining), or did cathe's stuff low impact (taking out the jumps sometimes in the workouts) and it worked for me. But I was at my wits end trying to figure it out- I guess it could have just been the shock to my system...but that was my plan.

Michele

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.