Cathelete's Cookie (Recipe) Exchange

I'm a tiny bit embarrassed to admit I made 14 different kinds of cookies to pass out to friends and DH's coworkers this year. I try to make about one kind of cookie for each recipient, so 14 folks getting cookies = 14 different kinds. I try to save as many as possible for myself! Keeping them in the freezer makes them last awhile and I can pace myself, not prone to overindulging, thank goodness. Everything in moderation, right?

Here are a few favorites:

Classic Gingerbread Cookies
Taste of Home

½ cup butter, softened
½ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup molasses
1 egg
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon salt (omit if using salted butter)
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1 to 2 tablespoons water

In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and brown sugar. Beat in molasses and egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, salt, cinnamon and cloves; add to the creamed mixture alternately with water. Mix well. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until easy to handle.

On a well-floured surface, roll out dough to ¼” thickness. Cut with cookie cutters. Place 1 inches apart on silpat-lined baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks to cool.

notes: Not bad for a cookie, only 1/2 cup of flour for a large batch. I often bump up the spices, particularly the cinnamon and adding nutmeg and allspice. Be careful in how many times you roll out the dough as this adds flour and can make for a tough cookie. The rule of thumb is to roll out dough no more than twice. I’ve heard of rolling out with powdered sugar, but have not tried this technique. I sprinkle these cookies with colored sugar before baking.

Mocha Truffle Cookies

1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup chocolate chips
1 tablespoon instant coffee granules (I use less)
3/4 cup sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups flour, all-purpose
1/2 cup cocoa (use a really high quality powder, www.bernardcallebaut.com is a good one)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup chocolate chips

Melt butter and 1/2 cup chocolate chips. Add instant coffee and blend well. Allow to cool for 5 minutes.

Add sugars, eggs, and vanilla to coffee mixture. Add dry ingredients, dough will be stiff. Stir in chocolate chips.

Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes. Do not overbake.

Chocolate-Chunk Oatmeal Cookies with Pecans and Dried Cherries

You can substitute walnuts or skinned hazelnuts for the pecans, and dried cranberries for the cherries. Quick oats used in place of the old-fashioned oats will yield a cookie with slightly less chewiness. These cookies keep for 4 to 5 days stored in an airtight container or zipper-lock plastic bag, but they will lose their crisp exterior and become uniformly chewy after a day or so. Add extra oatmeal if the cookies are spreading too much. Dark chocolate, cherries, oatmeal and walnuts: these cookies are practically a health food.

1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour (6 1/4 ounces)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder (use scant measures for high altitude)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (use scant measures for high altitude)
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 1/4 cups rolled oats , old-fashioned, (3 1/2 ounces)
1 cup toasted pecans (4 ounces), chopped
1 cup dried tart cherries (5 ounces), chopped coarse
4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped (about 3/4 cup)
12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), softened but still cool
1 1/2 cups packed brown sugar (10 1/2 ounces), preferably dark
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1. Adjust oven racks to upper- and lower-middle positions; heat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 large (18 by 12-inch) baking sheets with parchment paper.

2. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in medium bowl. In second medium bowl, stir together oats, pecans, cherries, and chocolate.

3. In standing mixer fitted with flat beater, beat butter and sugar at medium speed until no sugar lumps remain, about 1 minute. Scrape down sides of bowl with rubber spatula; add egg and vanilla and beat on medium-low speed until fully incorporated, about 30 seconds. Scrape down bowl; with mixer running at low speed, add flour mixture; mix until just combined, about 30 seconds. With mixer still running on low, gradually add oat/nut mixture; mix until just incorporated. Give dough final stir with rubber spatula to ensure that no flour pockets remain and ingredients are evenly distributed.

4. Divide dough evenly into 16 portions, each about 1/4 cup, then roll between palms into balls about 2 inches in diameter; stagger 8 balls on each baking sheet, spacing them about 2 1/2 inches apart. Using hands, gently press each dough ball to 1 inch thickness. Bake both baking sheets 12 minutes, rotate them front to back and top to bottom, then continue to bake until cookies are medium brown and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft (cookies will seem underdone and will appear raw, wet, and shiny in cracks), 8 to 10 minutes longer. Do not overbake.

5. Cool cookies on baking sheets on wire rack 5 minutes; using wide metal spatula, transfer cookies to wire rack and cool to room temperature.

Lime Meltaways Recipe By :Martha Stewart

3/4 cup unsalted butter -- (1 1/2 sticks) at room temperature
1 cup confectioners’ sugar
Grated zest of two limes
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon salt

1. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream butter and 1/3 cup sugar until fluffy. Add lime zest, lime juice, and vanilla extract; beat until fluffy.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, and salt. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, and beat on low speed until combined.
3. Between two 8-by-12-inch pieces of parchment paper, roll dough into two 1 1/4-inch-diameter logs. Chill until firm, at least 1 hour.
4. Heat oven to 350°. Line two baking pans with Silpats (French nonstick baking mats). Place remaining sugar in a resealable plastic bag. Remove parchment from logs; slice dough into 1/8-inch-thick rounds. Place rounds on pans, spaced 1 inch apart.
5. Bake cookies until barely golden, 12 to 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to a wire rack to cool slightly, 8 to 10 minutes. While still warm, place cookies in the sugar-filled bag, and toss to coat. Bake or freeze remaining dough. Store cookies in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.

Heather,

I bought all the stuff today so I can make your Yummy Peanut Butter cookies. I'm always on the hunt for a good PB cookie recipe.

I hope they are YUMMY :)

I am making these as soon as I wake up in the morning!!

These are AWESOME! We've been making these for the past 4 years, and they are always requested. I only make them at Christmas, but DH and my stepdaughter asked that they be a regular cookie in the house LOL

If you make these as written, the cookies are H-U-G-E. I make them much smaller, and adjust the baking time (for me, 11 minutes works). These are rich and fudgy.

From the magazine:
"The recipe for Espresso and Chocolate Chip Cookies, passed down from pastry chef to pastry chef over the years, finally found its way to Rhonda Ruckman, owner of Doughmonkey in Dallas. She tweaked the recipe, making the cookie extra rich and indulgent. 'It's a little piece of naughtiness,' Rhonda says."

Enjoy!

ESPRESSO AND CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
BHG Christmas Cookies 2006

8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped (I've subbed semisweet also)
5 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1/2 cup butter
1-3/4 cup sugar
4 eggs
2 TBSP finely ground espresso beans (I've used instant coffee granules too)
1/3 cup sifted cake flour or all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1-1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips

In a medium saucepan, combine bittersweet chocolate, unsweetened chocolate, and butter. Heat and stir over low heat until mixture is melted and smooth. Remove from heat. Cool for 10 minutes.

In a large bowl, combine sugar, eggs, and ground espresso beans; beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 2 to 3 minutess or until well mixed and color lightens slightly. Add cooled melted chocolate, beating until combined. In a small bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, and salt. Add to chocolate mixture; beat until combined. Stir in chocolate pieces. (The dough will look like brownie batter.)

Cover surface of dough with waxed paper. Let stand at room temperature for 20 minutes (dough thickens as it stands).

Preheat oven to 350. Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper or foil. Using a 3-oz scoop (or use 3 TBSP of dough per cookie), scoop dough in mounds 2 inches apart on prepared cookie sheets.

Bake in preheated oven about 13 minutes or just until tops are set and the cracks on top do not appear moist. Let cookies stand on cookie sheet on a wire rack for 1 minute. Transfer cookies to wire rack; cool. Makes about 24.

To store: Layer cookies between waxed paper in an airtight container; cover. Store at room temperature up to 3 days or freeze up to 3 months.

These are really good. My family always knows Christmas is here when I make these. This recipe makes A LOT. Make sure you have a BIG mixing bowl. Of course, you could always half the recipe:p!

Chrismas Rocks

2 sticks butter
1 tsp cloves
1 lb raisins
pinch of salt
1/2 C sugar
3 eggs
1 lb dates
1 tsp baking soda (dissolved in about 1 Tbsp of HOT water)
1 tsp cinnamon
1 lb broken pecans
1/2 C cut up candied cherries
3 C flour

1. Mix cherries and dates; add pecans and raisins
2. Put 1/2 C flour on fruit and nuts
3. Cream butter and sugar until smooth; add eggs, soda, and balance of flour
4. Mix in remaining ingredients
5. Stir in fruit and nut mixture
6. Drop by teaspoon on buttered pan
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes

If dates left out, put in 1/2 pound more pecans.

Carrie

tricolored/rainbow cookies

Tricolored Cookies

Traditional Italian Tricolored Holiday and special occasion treat. Sometimes they are also called Rainbow Cookies
7 ounces marzipan paste or almond paste
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups (3 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
4 large eggs, separated
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 cups sifted all-purpose flour (, sift before measuring)
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 drops green food coloring (or to desired color)
5 drops red food coloring (or to desired color)
1 (12 ounces) jar raspberry jam (preferably seedless)
12 ounces Baker's German sweet chocolate or 1 (12 ounces) bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 350 F and grease three (13" x 9") metal baking pans.
2. Line bottom of each with wax paper — letting it extend at two opposite ends — and grease paper.
3. Break marzipan paste into small pieces and grind with sugar in food processor until no lumps remain.
4. Transfer to a large bowl and add butter.
5. Beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy, then add yolks and almond extract and beat well.
6. Beat in flour and salt on low speed.
7. Beat egg whites in another bowl with cleaned beaters until they just hold stiff peaks and stir one third into batter to lighten slightly (batter will still be stiff).
8. Fold in remaining whites thoroughly.
9. Cook's note: Do not make this dough ahead of time.
10. Divide dough into thirds (about 1 1/2 cups each).
11. Stir green food coloring into one third and red food coloring into another, leaving one third plain.
12. Spread each dough separately into a pan.
13. (Layers will be thin.) Bake layers in batches in middle of oven until just set and beginning to turn golden along edges, 7 to 10 minutes total.
14. Run knife along edges to loosen from pan, then while still hot, invert a large rack over pan and invert layer onto rack, pulling gently on wax paper overhangs to release if necessary.
15. Peel off wax paper and cool completely.
16. Line a large shallow baking pan with wax paper and slide green layer into it.
17. Spread half of jam evenly over green layer and carefully top with plain layer.
18. Spread remaining jam evenly over uncolored layer and carefully top with pink layer (trim edges if necessary).
19. Cover with plastic wrap and weigh down with a large cutting board or baking pan.
20. Chill at least three hours.
21. Melt chocolate in a double boiler or a metal bowl set over a pan of barely simmering water.
22. Remove weight and plastic wrap and spread chocolate evenly over top, but not sides, of pink layer.
23. Let stand at room temperature until set, about 1 hour, and cut into small rectangles (3/4 x 1-1/4).

Last edited:
Melissa, thank you for posting the Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars!! My mom used to make these when I was a kid, and the recipe has been long gone. I knew there was graham crackers and confectioners' sugar, so this is the one. YAY!

Does anyone have a recipe for soft fluffy sugar cookies? The ones you frost and they are yummy :)

DELUXE SUGAR COOKIES
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) margarine or butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 egg
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon cream of tartar

Mix powdered sugar, margarine, vanilla, almond extract and egg in large bowl. Stir in flour, baking soda and cream of tartar. Cover and refrigerator at least 2 hours.

Heat oven to 375°. Grease cookie sheet lightly. Divide dough in half. Roll each half 1/4 inch thick on lightly floured surface. Cut into desired shapes with cookie cutter. Place on cookie sheet. Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from cookie sheet. Cool on wire rack. Frost with Decorator Frosting, and decorate as desired.

Makes 5 dozen 2-inch cookies

CREAMY DECORATOR'S FROSTING
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon water or 1 to 2 tablespoons half-and-half
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
Few drops of food color, if desired

Beat ingredients until smooth and of spreading consistency.

[FONT=&quot]MIXED NUT TURTLES[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A layer of melted chocolate nestles between salty nuts on this candy-like cookie.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]¾ cup butter, softened[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]½ cup sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 egg yolk[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 teaspoon vanilla extract[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 ½ cups all-purpose flour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 (9-ounce) can mixed nuts (with almonds, macadamia nuts, cashews and pecans)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 ½ cups semisweet chocolate morsels[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 teaspoons shortening[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy, and gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolk and vanilla extract, beating well. Add flour, beating just until blended.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Drop dough by level tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten each ball of dough into a 2-inch circle, using fingers. Press nuts firmly into outside top edges of cookies.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges of cookies are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets 1 minute. Carefully remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Place chocolate and shortening in top of a double boiler over hot water; stir until melted. Spoon 1 heaping teaspoon melted chocolate mixture onto center of each cookie. Spread and smooth chocolate mixture between nuts. Let set until chocolate is firm.[/FONT]

CRANBERRY TREASURE COOKIES

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
One 10-oz. package (1 1/2 cups) Nestle Toll House Treasures Premier White deluxe baking pieces
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon grated orange rind

Preheat over to 375 degrees. Grease two large cookie sheets. In small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

In large mixer bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until creamy. Blend in egg. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in white baking pieces, cranberries, pecans and orange rind. Drop by heaping measuring tablespoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets.

Bake 12 to 14 minutes until golden brown. Let stand 2 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets; cook. Store loosely covered, up to 3 days.

Makes about 2 dozen

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

gooey cake cookies

My husband got this recipe from work. They are super easy and really yummy. I served them last night at my family party and they were a big hit. And did I mention how easy they are?

INGREDIENTS:

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese

1/2 cup butter, softened

1 egg

1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix

1/4 cup confectioners' sugar

Prep Time: 5 Minutes

Cook Time: 13 Minutes

Ready In: 18 Minutes

Servings: 24

DIRECTIONS*:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

2. In a medium bowl, cream together the cream cheese and butter. Stir in the egg and vanilla. Add cake mix, and stir until well blended. Roll into 1inch balls and roll the balls in the confectioners' sugar. Place 1 inch apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet.

3. Bake for 10 to 13 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from baking sheets to cool on wire racks.

Chris, thanks for starting this thread. There are lots of great recipes, and I tried a few yesterday. I made the Andes Creme de Menthe cookies, White Chocolate Cherry Chunks (I used cranberries, too), and Snickerdoodles. All of them are delicious. I'm not much of a cook/baker, so I was very happy with the results.

Thanks for sharing, everyone!

Michelle

Oh those cranberry cookies sound so good!

[FONT=&quot]MIXED NUT TURTLES[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A layer of melted chocolate nestles between salty nuts on this candy-like cookie.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]¾ cup butter, softened[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]½ cup sugar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 egg yolk[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 teaspoon vanilla extract[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 ½ cups all-purpose flour[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 (9-ounce) can mixed nuts (with almonds, macadamia nuts, cashews and pecans)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 ½ cups semisweet chocolate morsels[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 teaspoons shortening[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy, and gradually add sugar, beating well. Add egg yolk and vanilla extract, beating well. Add flour, beating just until blended.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Drop dough by level tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart onto ungreased baking sheets. Flatten each ball of dough into a 2-inch circle, using fingers. Press nuts firmly into outside top edges of cookies.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Bake at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges of cookies are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets 1 minute. Carefully remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Place chocolate and shortening in top of a double boiler over hot water; stir until melted. Spoon 1 heaping teaspoon melted chocolate mixture onto center of each cookie. Spread and smooth chocolate mixture between nuts. Let set until chocolate is firm.[/FONT]

CRANBERRY TREASURE COOKIES

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 egg
One 10-oz. package (1 1/2 cups) Nestle Toll House Treasures Premier White deluxe baking pieces
1 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup pecans, coarsely chopped
1 teaspoon grated orange rind

Preheat over to 375 degrees. Grease two large cookie sheets. In small bowl, combine flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.

In large mixer bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until creamy. Blend in egg. Gradually beat in flour mixture. Stir in white baking pieces, cranberries, pecans and orange rind. Drop by heaping measuring tablespoonfuls onto prepared cookie sheets.

Bake 12 to 14 minutes until golden brown. Let stand 2 minutes. Remove from cookie sheets; cook. Store loosely covered, up to 3 days.

Makes about 2 dozen

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

Melissa, thank you for posting the Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars!! My mom used to make these when I was a kid, and the recipe has been long gone. I knew there was graham crackers and confectioners' sugar, so this is the one. YAY!

You're very welcome!!

I made these yesterday and while the choc was setting, the dog pulled the pan off the table so they were ruined!!! GRRRRR...making the second batch tonight!

Wow, I'm not much of a baker, but you guys inspired me!

I made the Snickerdoodles and the Andes Mint Cookies- both turned out AWESOME! Especially the snickerdoodles - making another batch!

Thanks!
Heidi

Hi everyone

I'd like to share with you my fav cookie recipe

I've found it here

Best Cookie Recipes

3 ingredient cookie

Ingredients
2 cups gluten free rolled oats
3 large overripe bananas, mashed
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/4 cup chocolate chips of choice (optional)

Step 1
Preheat the oven to 175C/350F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Step 2
In a large mixing bowl, add all ingredients and mix very well, until fully combined. If using chocolate chips, stir them in with a spatula.
Step 3
Lightly wet your hands and form 8 balls with the cookies. Place each ball on the lined mat, and press each ball into a cookie shape. Bake for 10-12 minutes, until slightly golden on the edges.
Step 4
Allow cooling on the mat for 10 minutes, before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.

Enjoy!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.