Cathe - weird things happening....HELP!

Asha

Cathe-
First of all, I have to say you are an inspiration and the BEST in the business IMHO. Anyway I have a few questions that are driving me absolutely crazy. Some background info- I am a long-time exerciser. I have been exclusively using your DVDs for 18 months. Last Spring I had a bout of hip bursitis and laid off cardio and leg work for about 3 weeks. This summer, however, I increased my cardio by biking about 50-60 minutes 6 days/week along with some upper body lifting 5 days/week. After 2 months, my upper thighs and hips have gotten BIGGER! Not exactly what I was looking for!:) My eating habits hadn't changed and if anything since then, have gotten better. I panicked and cut back on biking and began Freestyle Training for my lower body. I have done that for 3 weeks. My workouts tend to run 80-90 minutes per day by the time I get everything I want in. I will admit I have a hard time with "more isn't better" issue. I am 5'4" and weigh about 112-115 (before the gain). I eat about 1300-1400 calories per day.
Long story...now to my question- lately my legs and I feel extremely tired and my hips are irritated. I am wondering if I am overtraining? Was the gain in size fat or could it be muscle? I also wonder where I go from here? I feel a bit lost. I've NEVER been working out so hard, yet my pants are trying to squish me out!!:)
Any ideas will help ease my mind and maybe I will stop asking my husband a jillion questions anymore:D (I'm driving him CRAZY!)

Frustrated-
Julie

I am not Cathe, but I am a Personal Trainer, so I might be able to help you a bit. I agree with you that Cathe is the best in the business, and I am hooked. I don't know if you are overtraining, as I love to work out long and hard, and my workouts run from one to two hours a day. In my opinion, you are not eating enough, and your heavy workouts are burning quite a bit of calories. I don't think that you can get all the nutrients you need in only 1300 calories a day.

Bike riding works your quads and glutes, and, as you grow more muscular, those muscles will get bigger. As Cathe knows much more than I do, perhaps she can give you points about lengthening these muscles and not building them up so much. You should also be stretching for about ten to twenty minutes after your workouts. Are you doing that?

You should have your bodyfat tested as bodyfat is a more accurate assessment than the scale. In my opinion, if you are muscular and toned, you can easily weigh from 120 to 130 or more for your height.

Julie, I know what you mean.

I spin about 4x's a week and 1x a week I do cardio kickbox. I have been experiencing the same thing my thighs, butt have never looked bigger. It is not muscle (I jiggle). I have only been weight training once a week and my diet is just ok.

Part of my problem is my mindset. I hear such success stories about spin burning tons of calories and can't get past that. I also have a problem understanding the fact if you are doing a lot of cardio why you wouldn't be losing fat.

Debbie

The same thing is happening to my thighs and my stomach!! Last month I did an intensity series rotation and this month I'm doing BB rotation. I think I am not eating enough but I don't know what enough is!:eek: Is there a formula or a way to figure out how much to eat? I follow the point system on weight watchers( helped me lose the last 10 pounds from my last baby) and usually eat about 22-24 points. Thanks, Deanie

Bump... can't wait to see Cathe's reviews on this one! I go through the same thing! I go toggle back and forth wondering if I am eating enough! I have intense workout routines and don't count calories, but probably don't eat more than 1200-1300 cal a day. I HAVE experimented with eating more... but I actually do put on weight when I do and I don't like that.

I just spoke with a friend who is a personal trainer, and according to her you should not change your eating habits. Assuming of course, you eat well balanced to begin with! She said you should eat protein, carbs and fiber in a balanced diet and most women make the mistake of eating to much protein. (this may be me in the last month) I'm going to go back to the way I was eating and see if I see positive results. Deanie

CD, I have a similar situation. I'm anxious to hear an opinion from a personal trainer. (Cathe, I'd also love your input.)

I began my fitness program last April. When I started, I had flab on my arms, stomach, and of course my butt and legs. I began with step classes and free weights, and over the summer gradually increased the intensity of my workouts. My arms got bigger first, but the flab slowly disappeared and is now history. The same thing happened to stomach - when I began working it, my pooch got bigger, but is now close to being flat. (There's skin left over from pregnancy, but it looks okay in clothes!) Now, my jeans are tighter through my butt and thighs, but there is a lot more muscle under the flab. My guess is that, since I gained weight there first, this will be the last place to lose it. Any thoughts?

Also, my experience makes me think this: when one gains muscle, the parts may get bigger initially, but at some point the muscle burns up the flab and things get smaller and more toned. Is that just how my body reacts, or has this happened to others?

I'd also like your input on my current rotation:

Sunday: Cathe's Basic Step, Low Impact Step, or Step Heat for 30-40 min.

Monday: 30 min. Step class, 30 min. Upper Body (weights)

Tuesday: 40 min. Kickboxing class (or DVD), 30 min. abs, 30 min. Lower Body (weights)

Wednesday: 30 min. Upper Body (weights), 1 hour Yoga

Thursday: 30 - 40 min. Step Class or Cathe DVD, 30 min. abs

Friday: Interval Step for 1 hour - This is a class I just began teaching. I use bands for sculpting.

Saturday: Elliptical or Kickboxing 30 - 40 min., 30 min. Lower Body (weights)

I may miss 1 day of cardio if my body starts feeling weak, but I usually find that only doing Yoga on Wednesdays works.

GOOD JOB WORKING OUT FIRST OF ALL. SECOND YOU ARE NOT EATING ENOUGH CALORIES AND YOUR BODY IS TRYING TO CONSERVE EVERY FAT CELL IT CAN BEFORE BURNING MUSCLE FOR ENERGY. SO FOR WHAT YOUR ARE DOING EAT LIKE 1800 A DAY. YOU CAN DO PEANUT BUTTER OR BANANA, RAW GRANOLA OR BEANS FOR HEALTHY LOW FAT ENERGY SOURCE. LAST THE TRAINIG YOU ARE DOING REQUIRES YOUR BODY TO AJUST BY PRODUCING MORE MUSCLE. THAT IS GOOD THAT MEANS YOUR BODY IS DOING WHAT IT IS SUPPOSE TO. JUST CUT BACK TRAING A BIT TO LOOSE SOME OF YOUR LEGS. OR MAYBE YOU CAN ALSO ADD MORE STRECHING TO ELONGATE YOUR MUSCLES. CAN'T WAIT TO HEAR WHAT CATHE HAS TO SAY.GOOD LUCK.

HI!

I agree w the other poster. You are not eating enough calories for all that exercise! You are probably burning off 500-700 calories w all that exercise. I would aim for 1800-2000 calories. Your body thinks you are starving so it will hold onto everything you have. You may be ruining your metabolism. Gradually add some calories w nutritious foods. Balance protein, fat, carbs. Good luck!

Hey Everyone!
I wanted to thank you all so much for your advice. My husband has been telling me for years that I don't eat enough for my activity level. He is a physical education teacher and coach and I should've taken his advice, but sometimes it takes someone else to tell you something before you believe it.:) I have taken a recovery week this past week and am starting back with the October Upper Body Bliss rotation. This will hopefully get some bulk off my legs. I can already tell the past week has been good for them. Granted I need to stretch more, but they do not feel tired like they had before.

Again, thank you so much! I truly appreciate your words of wisdom!

Julie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.