Cathe: suggestion for the forums?

maddiesmum

Cathlete
Cathe/SNM:

There are questions that get asked frequently and some of us have spent a lot of time speculating on answers to them, on these forums, over the years! How about creating a FAQ forum to deal with these?

Today was a case in point. A poster asked about how to place and use workouts like Athletic Training, Afterburn and Supercuts in her week, whether rest is needed after each of these workouts because weights are used, etc, etc.

Your answer (see below) was seminal and if saved and placed in an FAQ forum, could be referred to for all time by the multiple Cathletes who ponder or post this question each week!

As time goes by, regular members of the forum could spot and suggest to you questions and threads that deal with questions that pop up often for inclusion in your FAQs forum.

Just a suggestion!

Clare

(Your fabulous and comprehensive answer follows, as promised)

"Any workout that involves weights as a supplement to aid in cardio output is generally not heavy enough to be considered a complete strength workout. Therefore it is okay to do this workout after a strength day. With that being said, if specific muscles are in a state of serious DOMS from the days prior strength workout, and even holding light weights fatigues the DOMS affected muscles, then you should rest those sore muscles completely for that one day (verses doing a cardio workout that involves light weight training of those specifically sore muscles) and let them recover.

If you are however, not sore at all or just very mildly sore, using light weights will not interfere with your recovery and in fact could even help to loosen up the light tightness in the muscles.

Realize also, that you can do light weight cardio based workouts on consecutive days (if you prefer to) but cannot expect to count these as weight conditioning workouts to develop high quality lean muscle mass. Your need to use your complete strength based workouts for that purpose.

Enjoy your new workouts Stacey. They are actually much more non-weight cardio-based than Afterburn and Athletic Training were."

Hi Maddie,

Agreed! that would be a useful way to reference Cathe's many perfect responses to a range of topics.

There's an FAQ link right at the top of this page we're on now, below the photo banner, between Blogs and Members List:

The Cathe Nation - FAQ

Strange though, just now I've tried entering term like "workout shoes" and "dvd" but keep getting a message: sorry - no matches. Please try some different terms. (hmm, maybe some little online glitch today slowing things down?)

I'm sure we'll be able to access this somehow...

Last edited:
I've used the Search Forum option witb success when I think/know there is something that has previously been discussed. You can filter to a specific forum if you want.

Lisa

This is not quite the same as I was suggesting. I too have used "search" services here and what I get is 3,000,000 instances of related topics included in zillions of posts and threads that I have to wade through looking for what I want, when what I want is a definitive answer from Cathe herself.

Not the same at all. But, hey....

Clare

This isn't a specific location of Cathe's answers.
But under advanced search you can put in a keyword, then over on the right side you can put in Cathe Friedrich as the user name. Might work for some answers as long as Cathe either quotes a question or mentions specifically what you're searching for.

But I like your idea. It would make things much easier to find.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.