Cathe, SNM!! Is music volume supposed to be this low?

Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Cathe, SNM!! Is music volume supposed to be this l...

Im also one that is new to posting on the board, altho I have been loving and enjoying Cathe for the last 2 1/2 years:)) I have only previewed a few workouts so far, but I completely agree, the music is SO low! I couldnt believe it, and worked with my settings also, but altho the music CHOICE was OUTSTANDING! The volume is WAAAYYYY too low, and I also wonder, if this is a "glitch" on several or a problem with all of them?? So sorry to have to voice a complaint, but the music is SUCH an important part to my energy level, and vital to me, for the workout:(( Sincerely Misty

I definitely think that this is a legitimate complaint. Since there was never a problem with the music being too low prior to this series, this was definitely not expected.

>SNM posted these suggestions in another thread:
>
>http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?...85&page=2#39897
>
>I just changed the DVD player's audio setting from the default
>to PCM, and it made a world of difference when I re-tested the
>IMAX3 DVD. The music and Cathe's voice were much louder and
>clearer.
>
>

jogger can you post that link again? It doesn't work, it just takes me to the main page, not a thread. TIA!

:)

That link doesn't work for me; it takes me to the forums page.
??? I can't find the message either, which forum is it in?

Mine sound the same as the Intensity Series.

Does anyone out there have a Sony DVD player? How do you change the audio setting to PCM??? TIA!!!

This is scaring me! I don't want them if the volume is too low to get you motivated, after awhile you don't need to listen as carefully to Cathe and you just enjoy the music! Is anyone going to return them?

Nevermind. We figured it out. I'm not at home so I had DH check the player for me. Yay! He set the player audio to D-PCM (I have a Sony) and the music is a lot louder now.

FYI: For Sony DVD players, I found these instructions.

Set-Up Menu
*** The set-up menu is accessed by pressing the Display button (on the remote) and navigating to the last icon/menu item. There are three options: Quick, Custom and Reset. The last one resets the player settings to factory defaults.
*** The Quick option sets the following options by asking a few questions:
On Screen Display Language (default: English)
TV Type (default: 16:9)
Audio output type (Default: line output L/R)
Dolby Digital conversion (Default: D-PCM)
DTS conversion (Default: D-PCM)
Speaker Setup (Front/Center/Rear/Subwoofer)
*** The Custom option allows you to set all options through a series of sub menus. All in all, the set-up options are quite extensive and the built-in multi-channel decoder supports features similar to that of most A/V processors, including bass management, time delay to compensate for speaker distance (in metres), channel level and balance, and test tone generation. About the only thing missing in terms of bass management is the ability to change the crossover frequency.
*** The player can also be configured to remember where you are up to on a particular disc (up to the last 40 discs), as well as auto-play and selection of audio track. Interesting audio options include a "CD Direct" mode (I am not sure what this means), selection of audio filter (between Sharp and Slow), and whether or not to permit output of 96 kHz/24 bit PCM audio tracks to digital out.

There is absolutely no problem with the audio levels of the new DVDs. The ratio between music and vocals is as high as we can make it without causing distortion. The loudness of the music will depend on the type of TV set up a person has and several other factors. If you're playing the DVD on a regular TV with just a mono speaker, I'm sure the music will sound low compared to the vocals. But if you play the same disc on a system with stereo speakers you will find the music is right on. When we edit a workout our audio engineers make sure that the music is as loud as possible without causing distortion. There are very strict standards for broadcast that have to be adhered to when doing this. Also, you may find that just changing your audio setting to PCM (the proper audio setting may be different depending on how your system is set up) will make a very big difference in how the DVD sounds. If you have a computer with stereo speakers you will see what I mean. You also want to make sure your player and TV are set up for stereo.

What is "PCM," and what would the audio system be set on if it's not PCM? I've been trying to find something that ressembles PCM on my DVD player, and haven't found it yet. (I haven't gotten my DVD's yet, just anticipating what to do if the music doesn't seem loud enough).

It stands for "pulse code modulation". If you want to learn more just go to www.dvdreview.com You can usually change your audio settings for your player by pressing the audio button on your remote.

Hi Cathe and SNM!!
I just wanted you to know I have had NO problems with low sound and I have played the dvds on two different players. You have put out a terrific product and I admire all the hard work everyone has put into these great workouts!! I love every single one!!!
Thank You Cathe and SNM!!!!
Jen

>Hi Cathe and SNM!!
>I just wanted you to know I have had NO problems with low
>sound and I have played the dvds on two different players.
>You have put out a terrific product and I admire all the hard
>work everyone has put into these great workouts!! I love
>every single one!!!
>Thank You Cathe and SNM!!!!
>Jen

I just wanted to second everything Jen said!! Love, love, love them so far!!

SNM - a follow-up question

If the settings are off on my equipment, why do all other Cathe DVD's & non-Cathe DVD's sound fine? Using the same set-up, the Hardcore music is muted. I do not use the music louder option on the older workouts.

Debra

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.