Cathe - Rest period question

nineweare

I'm 41 (almost 42). I have been working out (weights, cardio, etc.) *faithfully* since March 2001. I have never taken more than a week off at a time. I have lost 20 pounds and 8 clothing sizes. However, my results have come to a standstill and no matter what I do things are not changing. I have been told from a couple friends (one a personal trainer, the other studying to be a pt) that I may need a rest period. Lately (within the last two weeks) I have not been able to lift as heavy as I normally do and my heart rate goes up a lot faster when I do cardio than before. They are suggesting a rest period of 2-4 weeks and then for the next 4 weeks only working out at 50-65% for heart rate.

I am SO afraid of losing ground. They have told me I will NOT lose ground and that when I start again I will see results. I love to exercise and even thinking about that long of rest saddens me. (Okay, I'm obsessed, but it makes me feel so good and relieves so much stress!) Anyway, what do you think? Will I lose ground? Is that too long? Should I do it? During the rest time, can I still take walks, do Pilates/Callanetics/ab work?

Thanks so much for your time, Cathe!!!

sport23.gif

Tammy C. in WA
married 22 years to my best friend, Steve
just Mom to 2 terrific sons (22 - married, 20 - engaged)
homeschooling Mom to 5 fantastic sons (14, 12, 10, 8, and 5)

Hi Tammy,

Congratulations on that 20lbs!

Rest is good. I really swear by getting a good rest period in when I feel I need it, usually a couple of times per year. I'm just coming off one now. Previously I was experiencing the same sort of lackluster workouts that you describe, heart rate going up fast and not able to lift as heavy, as well as some general fatigue.

I took about two weeks off from my regular, structured, intense cardio/heavy lifting workouts, but was still pretty active. I did some hiking, played golf (walking the course, of course), gardening, etc. You don't have to become completely sedentary, just maybe tone the intensity down a bit. Do some fun stuff during this time - it'll be good for your body and mind.

You won't lose any ground during that short a rest period. In fact, I always see an improvement in my musculature during a rest. It's quite cool.

Obviously not Cathe, and I'm sure she'll have the best advice for you.

I have had good luck with taking a couple of days off and then doing a week to 2 weeks of yoga, pilates, walking, abs. Chill on the weights and interval training for a couple of weeks and then go back to it. Your metabolism will take a jump and you'll break that plateau.

A few people on this board do calorie staggering and swear by it. You might want to check that out as well.

Good luck.

Shopgirl :)

p.s. Wow 7 boys - as if that isn't intense exercise in itself. Hats off to you.

I would agree with everyone else. I had went to vegas for a week and never did anything but walk, except one night of sit ups. I felt extremely guilty that I didnt do any weight work at all. But when I came back, I noticed a difference in my muscles. Especially in my waistline. I felt like I lost 5 pounds alone in just my waist! My pudge felt smaller...lol. I really think the rest was a good thing for me.
I think you should try it.

Karen

Occasionally, I just get to busy to work out for a week or so (teacher), and when I come back to it, I find I actually feel stronger and don't tire as quickly. It must be good for us!

I'm one who does calorie staggering, as well as eating 4-5 meals a day. It really helped. Also, although this sounds impossible (to me), you may be too active for the number of calories you're eating. I actually lost weight last time I plateaued when I finally upped my calories quite a bit to take into account the intense strength and cardio training.

Good luck! I know how frustrating it can be. I'm stuck again, too and haven't yet found what it is my body needs this time.

Shari

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.