Cathe--question about circuit training

LauraMax

Cathlete
A trainer at my gym (a real thorn in my side--according to him there's nothing right about my routine & everything wrong w/it) told me that my once a week circuit training "wouldn't do anything for" me.

I'd never done a circuit workout until I tried Drill Max & that sucked me in--since then I've bought maybe 5-6 of your circuit DVDs & have been doing them every Saturday, on other days I do traditional weight training 3X a week & cardio about 5X a week.

So is circuit once a week truly a waste of time, or can you load me up w/some ammo to hit this trainer with next time I see him?}(

Sorry...obviously I'm not Cathe:) I just had to ask, where did this trainer get certified?? If I read your message correctly, sounds like a 'cracker jack' box:p Can't wait to see what Cathe says!!
I can see why he's a thorn in your side!:7

Hi Laura Max! If circuit workouts were a "waste of time", I wouldn't be making them. I don't have time to waste and I definitely don't want to be wasting yours :)

As far as circuit workouts go....you have to know what your goals are. If you are training for solid and absolute strength, then no, I wouldn't put a week of circuit workouts on your rotation. But if your goal is to become well conditioned in all areas of fitness including functional training then yes, without a doubt, I would 100 percent include circuit workouts along with your other fitness workouts in your rotation.

With that in mind, circuit workouts come in all varieties. Long, short, cardio based, fitness based, endurance based, etc. They are many times promoted for their time efficiency since you can get a lot of various fitness conditioning done in the same workout (this I personally feel really depends on what is done in the workout and to what intensity level). But generally speaking, you burn calories, burn fat, increase muscle endurance, and increase overall stamina all in one sweaty package.

Circuit workouts are great body shocking workouts in that their variety shakes up your routine, throwing you a "curve ball" ...a good thing, especially when your body starts to get too used to a certain workout program.

I love circuit workouts as my "buffer" workout. They are the icing on the cake when you have already done your solid cardio and solid weight workout for the week. It gets in there and does a nice touch up tribute to compliment your other workouts.

I could go on, but I think you get the idea. Perhaps you should do Drill Max together with your trainer on your next session and see if he changes his mind on it being a waste of time. If not then he and I will just have to agree to disagree ;-)

I agree. Do not listen to that trainer...there is nothing wrong with a circuit workout once a week to shock the body and to have a little fun. Working needs to be enjoyable to you...if you want to do that circuit one time a week, go for it! I LOVE drillmax. I am a trainer, and circuits do have their place. Take care;-)

Kristen

Way to speak Cathe!! You are so correct and so knowledgable!! I LOVE your workouts. SO....keep producing them!! ;-) ;-) ;-)

Kristen

>Circuit workouts are great body shocking workouts in that
>their variety shakes up your routine, throwing you a "curve
>ball" ...a good thing, especially when your body starts to get
>too used to a certain workout program.
>
>I love circuit workouts as my "buffer" workout. They are the
>icing on the cake when you have already done your solid cardio
>and solid weight workout for the week. It gets in there and
>does a nice touch up tribute to compliment your other
>workouts.
>
>I could go on, but I think you get the idea. Perhaps you
>should do Drill Max together with your trainer on your next
>session and see if he changes his mind on it being a waste of
>time. If not then he and I will just have to agree to disagree
> ;-)

Thank you! That's exactly what I was trying to do & I feel much better having you validate it.

I bet that dude would be a puddle of mush after DM. I think I'll bring the DVD in & challenge him to try it. I bet dollars to donuts he doesn't have the courage (replace courage w/Jersey girl word here). :p

Sounds like some macho B.S. to me........

Isn't it fun when such jackasses dispense pearls of wisdom?

I question his background and also his ethics. Perhaps he figures that if you are good at what you do, you will do it at home and drop your gym membership.

I love Circuit workouts and although I've been taking a break from them in order to focus on lifting heavier weights, I can't wait to get back to my circuits!

It sounds to me (and I'm obviously just guessing), that this trainer is ONLY in to strength training with a little running thrown in for good measure. I've met lots of trainers like this. My husband has his CSCS from NSCA. They are a superior organization but are mainly focused on strength training. He comes to me when he has questions about cardio and cardiovascular conditioning because frankly, he doesn't know about that stuff. His goal is to build muscle and that's it - anything else is superfluous for him. I once knew a trainer who put his clients through a circuit all the time but when he was asked to sub for a circuit class, he stated that 'circuits are a waste of time'. He obviously didn't know what a circuit was! I wouldn't put too much stock in what this trainer says Laura.

Carolyn

just to add my two cents. i just finished reading Strenght Training for Woman by Lori Incledon, and she says all types of training has its positives and negatives, but for overall fat loss and muscle maitnece what she calls "metabolism circuit" was the best to take a break from heavy strength training. she also likes to refer to it as "core circuits" b/c it engages the core the way you would in life. like you said doing it once a week, was also suggested in addition to your 2-3 day strength training workouts. she wasn't big on cardio but suggested if you enjoyed it add it on.

i like how men think they KNOW the woman's body and what is best for it. i'd rather take my adviced from the personal trainer/author of this book b/c she is a woman and knows from her studies what works for her and her subjects.

and love cathe's answer, you def. don't waste my time with those high step circuit dvds. i love them all and feel completely worked head to toe with those babies.

kassia

http://www.picturetrail.com/ldy_solana

"And do what thee wilt as long as ye harm none"

060104_10010099873.gif

Woo-ee! Cathe shows some spunk! Well spoken!

Gisela

"She's living in sin with a cowboy, and hell--he can hardly even walk!" --J.R. Ewing, "Dallas"}(

Trust in the LORD with all your heart.

so, is cathe saying not to do a rotation of only circuit workouts? she said she uses them as a "buffer". could someone show me a rotation like the one she is talking about?
thanks, cathy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.