Cathe PLB weight limit question? and why 12,10, 8 reps?

kittykat

Hi Cathe,
I have recently returned to heavier lifting and am doing PLB/PUB and Pure Strength. My question is for PLB I can do the squats, lunges and deads, with 40, 40, and 50 lbs, in the pyramids with ease. I need to go heavier but cannot get over 50 lbs. above my head to get it on my shoulders. What should I do? I am trying to increase my upper body strength but until then? I can hold the barbel at my hips for lunges but that doesnt work well for squats.
Question 2 Why are the reps 12, 10, and 8, to build muscle would it not be better to do fewer reps with heavier weights or am I missing some info here. Thanks, Kitty

Hi Kitty. I'm not Cathe, but I can help you with your answer. The reps are standard for pyramid training. Cathe does put a twist to the pyramid workouts by supersetting each exercise. Do you have Cathe's Slow & Heavy workouts? Since you are looking to increase your strength in your upper body, I think this set would be a better choice for your goal.

Hi Kitty,
Also not Cathe here, but I've heard it suggested that to lift heavier without loading your barbell to the point of causing injury try wearing a weighted vest. You will be able to increase your overall weight load and still use the 50 lb barbell.

HTH

~Susan

I wear 2 2 1/2 lb ankle weights velcroed around my waist, then use 40,45, 50 lb barbells. This works nicely to raise everything 5 lbs without lifting it over my head. When I need 60 or 65 lbs (like for PS Legs or Slow and Heavy), I wear a fishing vest with weight plates in the pockets, in addition to my ankle weight belt. Someone uses scuba weights around their waist also.

>
>Question 2 Why are the reps 12, 10, and 8, to build muscle
>would it not be better to do fewer reps with heavier weights
>or am I missing some info here. Thanks, Kitty

I like the number 12, 8, and 4 for supersetting. You should be able to lift heavier this way. Why not use this technique and cut down the reps for each set during the Pyramid Workout?

Crystal

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.