Cathe or SNM- 1 rep max question

nkhansen1

Cathlete
I found a great online calculator for the 1RM, and I was wondering if you could specify exactly which muscle groups we need to find our 1RM for. Right now I am finding my 1 RM for the following:

biceps
triceps
lats
delts
anterior delts
pecs
legs

Is this comprehensive enough, or do I need to get more specific?
Thanks so much!

Since certain exercises for certain muscle groups can take heavier weights than other exercises for the same muscle groups, you may want to be a little more specific for particular exercises. For example, people can usually handle more for a shoulder military press than for rear delt raises, and a lot more for squats than for lunges. I know I can lift more on chest press than chest flyes, and way more for tricep overhead extensions than for kickbacks. More for back barbell rows than for one arm rows and more for deadlifts (working lower back) than lying overhead extensions for back.

Does this give you an idea?

Clare

Thank you, Clare, for saying it better than me. What I mean is what exercises, not the muscle groups. What you said is right- I absolutely have different ranges of weights for the same muscle group depending on the exercise. That's where I'm feeling a bit unprepared for the STS. I want to have my 1RM for every area ready to go.
Is there any way to get a comprehensive list? Maybe I'll look up the breakdowns of each cycle and see if the individual exercises are listed. I've never noticed before...

If you have several weight training DVDs of Cathe's from different series already, you make a good guess as to which exercise will be included. Do you keep record of how much you lift per exercise per workout? Just use these same exercises to work out a whole load of 1 rms.

Chest: bench press with barbell, and separately with dumbells: flyes

back: barbell rows, one arm rows, overhead extensions, deadlifts

shoulders: military presses with barbell and with dumbells, arnold's presses with dumbells, side lateral raises, front raises with plate nd with dumbells, rear delt raises

biceps: curls with barbell and with dumbells, hammer curls with dumbells, concentration curls, crazy 8s

triceps: overhead extensions, french press (skull crushers) with barbell and with dumbells, lying cross body tricep extensions, kickbacks,

legs: squats, plie squats, static lunges, walking lunges, lunges with rear leg raised on bench, sit-n-stands, deadlifts,

I am sure there is more, but start with this list and you will be pretty ready!

Clare

Clare,

Fortunately, I'm not new to exercise or Cathe, so I have almost the entire Cathe library (except for a few of the earliest videos), and I do keep track of what weights I use (I need a whole new notebook for the STS!). I started a list today, like the one you so generously posted, to work from. I think I'll just print yours off. :) I might pay for a session with a trainer at a gym to get the 1RM just right, especially since I'll need a spotter for a few of the exercises. Such a lot of prep work! I'm glad we've got a few more months to get it all done. I'm interested to see what percentage my 1RM goes up after the whole program is completed.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.