Cathe, just got back from Germany!

Juliekins

Cathlete
And in spite of spending five days in Bonn and five days in Bavaria (Munich and surrounding area) on a steady diet of bread sausage, bread, beer, sausage, sausage, SAUSAGE, and bread, I lost about four pounds! (I was LONGING for clean eating by the time we got on the plane to come home--something I thought would never, ever happen!) We walked like CRAZY. Between getting lost a lot and using public transport to get everywhere, I bet we walked a minimum of 2-3 miles a day, sometimes many more. Also, all the stairs and climbing in the Alps around Neuschwanstein castle would make a great Cathe workout. ;)

Last night I had a dream that I was asking you about why I could have possibly lost weight eating like I did, and you were all annoyed and were like "why are you bugging me about this? Germans can just eat sausage and stay fit, it's just the way it is!" Ha. I have no idea where that came from.

I'm glad to be back in the States and looking forward to the new DVDs! :)

I am from Bavaria ( Bayern!). Why did you eat so much Bratwurst (sausage) and drink so much beer?? Unless you really like Bratwurst and Beer ! In May I went to Germany for 3 weeks and ate out every day! I didn't gain a pound! I didn't worked out or walk alot! Since I sat in the Hospital all day long on my moms bedsite! Believe it or not I don't like Bratwurst ( sausage!) or beer! The bread in Germany is alot more fillng than the one in the states! It is all natural!! No sugar unlike the bread you buy here in your regular grocery store ( not the one you buy in the health food store!) ! A 1/2 a slice of Bauernbrot and you are full! Most German women don't eat a lot of sausage and drink a lot of beer! Not sure where that came from??? We do have healthy food in Bavaria! If you would been staying longer than 10 days in Germany and eating and drinking like this you would have gained a lot of weight! No one can eat like that every day and not gain weight, not even the Germans! Glad you didn't gain anything! Yes, in Germany people walk alot!

Belinda

Welcome back! I lived in Augsburg for a few years and really loved it. I was a meat-eater then and LOVED the food! The spaetzle is out of this world!!!!

Glad you had a great time - I really miss all of the walking that I used to do when living there. I thought the s-bahn was wonderful and wish we had something like it here (I live just outside of DC). Seems like there was always a stop within walking distance!!

Again, welcome home!!!
Liz

Hello...

I am sorry that all you did was experience Germany for its beer and sausage. In fact I am shocked that you spend 10 days there and that is all you ate...in my opinion it is a bit cliche. I too am from Germany born and raised...and I myself am a vegetarian which I started because there are so many health food stores and vegetarian restuarants in Germany. I am sure you were in no way trying to be offensive; however, your post did come off as I said before a bit cliche. I just hope you did not have as horrible as a time as it seems that you did. Germany or even Europe in general has a lot to offer.

Bayernbaby

I apologize, I exaggerated in an attempt at humor. :p We definitely did not eat sausage every day, although we did eat a lot more of that kind of stuff than we do at home! It was all excellent. :) I wouldn't trade the experience for anything! I was very amused that I had that silly dream.

It was not my intent to offend, so again I apologize! We had a wonderful time and experienced lots of different cuisines, not just the "cliched" German foods of sausage and beer.

I will definitely miss all the walking we did. We don't have a very walkable neighborhood when it comes to walking to shopping and recreation.

But...but...you CAN'T go to Germany and not partake of the sausage and beer! The traditional foods are delicious and a wonderful treat when you're there for fun and frolic. It's a beautiful country, and yes, we walked so much that we actually lost weight, too. Bavaria is absolutely breathtaking and the area around Neuschwanstein castle is truly fairytale-like!

Belinda, I think when you're just going to Germany for short vacation it's only natural to partake of the "cliched" foods that we've come to associate with Germany, in the same way that we would want pasta and pizza if we went to Italy, etc. I really enjoyed the food when I was there.:)

Ah yes, sausage and beer. I do see that stuff everywhere here. It is difficult to be a vegan here - more difficult than I thought it would be. But, there are some health food stores and we just don't go out to eat very often. There are some great Asian restaurants though so that helps. :) Don't get me wrong, I love it here...it's just difficult for vegans.

Carolyn

After going back and reading our post we wanted to make sure that you know that in no way we're attacking you.Just making an
observation! We hope you did not take it any other way:)
Our apologies to you! I am glad you had a great time in Germany! Where I live we do have a walkable neigborhood, but in a 111 degree ( I live in El Paso, TX!)heat it's almost impossible to go for a walk! If you ever go back to Germany come and visit me in Grafenwoehr! I will move in a month!

Take care!
Belinda and Alesia

Hello everyone,

I also had the luck to be in Germany for 2 1/2 years when my husband (at that time) was in the service. It is a VERY Beautiful country. I love the towns and their style. They have the coziest cafe's, and restaurants. I lived in Babenhausen and Muenster but visited Darmstadt, Achaffenburg (please forgive spelling it has been a while), Hanau, Rheinmein, Frankfurt. Oh just so many places. We did get to walk all the way to the top of the cathedral in Ulm (or was it the Ulm IN Munster) all I remember is that it was a lot of stairs. My husband went to Grafenwoer for training, he said it was beautiful in the winter.

Anyhow I really enjoyed visiting the castles (by the way I was 19 when I moved there) and the coutryside at Neuschwanstein was breathtaking.

Again I do apologize for all the spelling errors. It just makes me happy to talk about it to someone who has been there :)

Reminiscing,

Colleen

Belinda,

I visited Germany 25 years ago - Bavaria, Heidelberg and Karlsruhe and I still remember the bread!! My favorite were Semmeln (a type of dinner roll).

I would love to go back! Oberammergau was so beautiful! Actually all of it was beautiful...and everyone we met was very friendly.

I wish I could find bread that was a good as the Semmeln I ate every morning or a Schwartzwald Kirsche Torte (Black Forest Cherry Cake) like my host mother made...that would keep me content until I could visit again.

Hi Lori Ann,

that was a long time ago since you visit Germany!! Bavaria is a beautifull place to visit! I have not meet anyone yet that doesn't like Semmeln ( Broetchen) Here is a recipe for Semmeln:

Broetchen:

3 c. flour
1 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. aalt
1 plg. active dry yeast
1 Tbs. oil
1 c. warm wtter
1 egg white

Pour 2 1/2 cups flour into large bowl and make a well. Pour yeast , sugar and 2 Tbsp. warm water into well.

Do not mix with the flour at this time.

Cover the cloth and set it in a warm place for 15 minutes, add the remaining water and oil and beat until mixed.

Turn out on counter top. Knead until smooth. Add the remaining 1/2 cup flour as needed.

Put dough in bowl, cover and let rise until double in size( about 45 min.- one hour).

Punch down and divide the dough into 12 parts. Shape into oval or round rolls and place three inches apart on a greased and floured cookie sheet.

Cut star pattern or long slit into the top with a sharp knife. Cover and rise until double in size ( another 30- 45 min.

Beat egg white and 1 tsp. water with a fork until frothy. Brush on rolls.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Bake for 15 to 20 minutes or until golden brown.

Yield; 12 Broetchen

Let me know how you like them!
Belinda

Thank you for posting this recipe Belinda :)

I sure miss those tasty Broetchens from the village bakery.

Hope you don't mind my asking}( Do you have any recipes for
Bauren Brott, the German Rye bread, and the dressing they put on
Teufel Salad. Apologies for any bad spelling and thanks!

Thanks again :9 rushing in to kitchen now to whip up a batch!

Hi Bubachick,

you very welcome:)

I will post more recipes for Bauernbrot and Teufelsaladdressing later today or tomorrow!:9 I am meeting a friend later!

Did you like the Broetchen??

Take care,
Belinda

This thread is an interesting example of the differences between styles of humor in different cultures. From an American (IMO)viewpoint there really wasn't anything at all offensive in that post. Nor was there anything to indicate that she didn't have a good time. In fact, the cliche is complimentary to Germany and it's cuisine. That is what most people want to do when they visit another country is experience the traditional, cliche foods, it's part of the experience!

With regard to the walking, I visited Spain several years back and experienced the exact same thing, eating lots and walking lots and losing some extra weight. I am certain that all the walking does more than most of us give it credit for. I've know exchange students from Russia who have the opposite experience, they come here, eat less, walk less and gain weight. Recent studies of the Irish population show that in spite of what we would call "dirty" eating x( by that I just mean not clean:p (please don't yell at me) anyway they eat lots of the foods we typically deny ourselves and yet they are slender and in better cardiovascular health because they walk, walk, walk, everywhere they go!

You know, I also wonder though, last time I went home on vacation (Alaska) to visit my family I lost a couple of pounds and I think it may be because I was so relaxed and not at all stressed or pressured about life in general. Maybe vacations are just that therapeutic!

Kerry, I don't think this is so much an example of cultural differences as it is about how someone's intended humor can be lost through posting.

I am a dual citizen and read the OP's comments as just poking a little fun, but I also understand how Belinda and Alesia might have interpreted it another way.

I can see, too, why the OP would leave with the impression that there was always sausage and beer available. It's similar to the way a foreign visitor might be struck by seeing a McDonald's and Burger King and Starbucks on every corner over here. Yes, there are other options available, but because it's *different*, that's what a visitor would notice more.

And you are absolutely right, Europeans generally do much more everyday activity like walking and biking than we do, which is a huge factor. When I am overseas, I allow myself the indulgence of all the "goodies" I can't have at home, but with all of the exercise, I always manage to lose a few pounds.

~Cathy http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/4.gif

"Out on the roads there is fitness and self-discovery and the persons we were destined to be." -George Sheehan

I am from Munich, Germany and I think what the OP was referring to was that no matter where you go out to eat, beer, bread and sausage is always available. Especially, if you go to Munich and surrounding areas during the summer time, the beer gardens (Biergaerten) are open and while offering "some" healthy choices, beer, bread and fatty meats is what people eat there.

I took it as a fun poking post as well! And it sometimes is funny how we exercise so hard and weigh every morsel we put on our plate, then we go on vacation, pig out and come back a few pounds lighter.

Of course, it is not an every day diet (although some Germans do eat this stuff every day - just like some Americans survive on hamburgers and Coors Lite) but come on it's a vacation. Couldn't have been too bad eating, otherwise she would have gained.

Julie, I am glad you enjoyed Germany and had some typical Bavarian food and beverages :). Climbing up to Neuschwanstein Castle (instead of opting to go on a horse carriage) comes pretty close to a Cathe Drill Max workout }( :+

Wow, there are a lot of German Cathe fans!

We had so much fun on the trip and really loved the hospitality we encountered. I have to say that while the atmosphere of the Hofbrauhaus was really touristy and fun, the beer there was the most mediocre that we experienced. (It wasn't bad, by any means--it just has a lot of stiff competition!) Speaking of Cathe workouts, I think the monks of Andechs probably have the best legs in all of Germany. The monastery is built into the side (and at the top) of a very, very steep hill. The food and beer was amazing, though. My husband managed to get some of the (bottled) beer from Andechs home in his checked bags in one piece.

Aside from all the wonderful local fare, we also had dinner at great Japanese and Vietnamese restaurants in Munich. That's closer to the kinds of foods we eat when we go out here at home. :)

We adored Munich and would love to return someday. Next time I'm sure we'll delve deeper than the usual touristy stuff. There are lots of active touristy things to do (bike tours, hiking) that we didn't get to do while we were there this time. Plus, my husband is a big beer nerd and we know there are plenty of those we didn't get to try.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.