Cathe, I don't understand what you mean...

SassySean

Im new to your workouts. I was previewing Power Max. In the explanation on how to protect the knees you said something like "When jumping be sure to unload on the lead leg".

I know there must be some trick to protecting your knees -- you have been doing this for a number of years and it looks like your knees are fine.

Would you please explain what you mean by "unloading" and when I am supposed to "unload", or just how to protect my knees in general during step???

TIA

While this might not answer your question specifically, here are some strategies for safe stepping.

1) When stepping onto the step, strike with the heel then roll to the toe. When stepping off the step, strike with the toe and roll to the heel (you can hear Cathe sometimes say 'land toe-ball-heel').

2) When doing any jumping, either on or off the step, be sure to soften/bend the knees when landing. Landing a jumping motion with legs that are too straight and stiff will lead to injury.

3) When doing any steps or motions that have twist or torque (ex: a ricochet, an over and back, a half hop turn) be sure to add a little jump to 'unload' the knee so that the foot turns freely and you maintain good alignment between the two joints. If the foot is planted during a twist or torque move, both the ankle and knee are in jeopardy for a serious injury, such as a twist, sprain, or tear of the tissue.

4) Never go beyond 8" in height when doing step. Any higher places a lot of stress on the knee joints. If you are really advanced, you can always modify the moves to a higher level by adding propulsion.

HTH,

"Unloading" your foot means to take the weight off of it. For example, when you do jump-turns over the step,or anytime you change direction, make sure the foot comes all the way off of the step before you do the turn, otherwise you could injure your knee. In other words, "hop" into turns rather than "sliding" into turns. (It doesn't have to be a huge leap, just enough for your foot to completely clear the surface of the step).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.