Cathe- help with cravings after lifting?

morningstar

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

I like to do long workouts on Tuesday nights; tonight I did all of the Pure Strength series in a row. I find that when I lift heavy for a few hours, like I did tonight, I get really ravenous for protein and complex carbs. As a lacto-ovo vegetarian, I tend to focus on those food groups anyway, but when I lift heavy, I am not even the slightest bit interested in a healthy salad, even though my salads are protein-heavy. All interest in veggies goes right out the window, along with my caloric target resolution for the day. I usually take in about 125g of protein a day, most of it a complete protein, but I aim for 150g. I'm a big, muscular girl!

Do you have any idea why this might be, other than the obvious, that muscles need protein and my brain needs carbs? Do you have any suggestions that might help me stay more on an even keel with my diet on heavy lifting days? I think I had 8 hard boiled eggs today, for cryin' out loud!

Anyone else out there have this same issue, by the way?

Not Cathe (obviously), but I would recommend a postworkout 4-to-1 carbs-to-protein smoothie/shake (right after working out, your body needs more carbs than protein, and too much protein at this time can even impede recovery. The carbohydrates are necessary to provide glycogen to the muscles, which helps the body go from breakdown mode to build-up mode).

Here's one article for you:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=627&page=3

Also, you might want to reconsider your regimen of "lifting heavy for a few hours". Some experts recommend keeping weight workouts to an hour or less. More than that can actually be counterproductive.

If you do continue to workout for 2-3 hours at a time, you may need a mid-workout feeding. Or at least have something before your workout and something immediately after (though I still think doing all PS back-to-back is excessive and could be counterproductive).

Thanks! I do eat before and after my workouts; just after this workout, I had hardboiled eggs and whole grain bread. I know about the carb-after workout thing, and have done that in the past, but was never completely sure if that was just for cardio workouts, which are more common, or for weight lifting too. I prefer longer workouts when possible because I just love lifting - it is definitely an emotional thing for me, not just a way to get more fit.

Not Cathe (obviously), but I would recommend a postworkout 4-to-1 carbs-to-protein smoothie/shake (right after working out, your body needs more carbs than protein, and too much protein at this time can even impede recovery. The carbohydrates are necessary to provide glycogen to the muscles, which helps the body go from breakdown mode to build-up mode).

Here's one article for you:

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=627&page=3

Also, you might want to reconsider your regimen of "lifting heavy for a few hours". Some experts recommend keeping weight workouts to an hour or less. More than that can actually be counterproductive.

If you do continue to workout for 2-3 hours at a time, you may need a mid-workout feeding. Or at least have something before your workout and something immediately after (though I still think doing all PS back-to-back is excessive and could be counterproductive).

Kathryn,
This is a really interesting article! I always thought I needed mega protein after lifting! I workout early in the morning and after my cardio or weight work (I generally do about an hour), I have my protein shake, which runs me about 25grams of protein, but lower in carbs (although I make it with 2% milk and usually add 1/2 banana and some cranberry/raspberry yogurt - it's yum!). Within the hour I eat either two eggs with two slices of whole wheat toast, or oatmeal loaded with banana, blueberries & walnuts. I'm wondering if this is not enough carbs? Any thoughts?

THanks for the article! I think I "hit the wall" often because I THINK I'm eating enough, but my meals aren't hearty enough, or maybe not the right carb/protein ratio at times.

:)Christine

I have my protein shake, which runs me about 25grams of protein, but lower in carbs (although I make it with 2% milk and usually add 1/2 banana and some cranberry/raspberry yogurt - it's yum!). Within the hour I eat either two eggs with two slices of whole wheat toast, or oatmeal loaded with banana, blueberries & walnuts. I'm wondering if this is not enough carbs? Any thoughts?
From what I've read, it's better to do more carbs first (for the reasons I stated above), then eat a higher protein meal a bit later.

An easy change for you would be to flip the two feedings: have the oatmeal, blueberry or toast right after working out. Then about 2 hours later, the eggs and maybe something else.

Another easy after-workout feeding with about the right carb-protein ratio is chocolate (soy) milk (I'm vegan, so I do the soy).

So, does anyone have a definitive answer on the whole carbs after workouts thing -whether mostly carbs are best after strength AND cardio workouts, or just after cardio workouts and strength workouts are best followed by a mix of protein and carbs?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.