Cathe harder than gym classes???

KimDW

Cathlete
Does anyone else find that their Cathe workouts are much harder than the gym aerobic and strength classes? I've posted before that I'm wanting to get rid of my gym membership but can't until the contract is up in July. I am planning on working out at home with Cathe after that. I haven't been going lately to the gym because of "the winter slump" and because I'm just so bored with the gym. I used to love the instructors and the classes there but I think that they try to keep things simple for the people who've never done any exercise. So last night they started a new step routine and let me tell you I was SO BORED that I kept thinking "I could teach this class better than this". The music was slower than usual and since it was a new routine they broke it down so much that my heartrate didn't go anywhere. It just made me look forward to my home workouts with Cathe. I've only got a few Cathe workouts so I'm starting to buy more workouts for when I do only workout at home. My mother-in-law gave me $150 to use for workout stuff so I'm going to by 3 DVD's and my mom bought me a 12 lb. body bar (I eventually want to get a 15 and 18). I told my husband that I need a new step because I think mine is warped (I posted earlier about the Reebok step). I'm so excited. The only downside of working out at home for me is the motivation. But if I'm not motivated to go to the gym either what's the difference other than I'm not getting my money's worth at the gym. Well sorry this was so long.

Kimbra

I don't take any strength classes, but I've never had a step class at the gym that's even close to Cathe's intensity. Besides the fact that they spend too much time teaching the moves so you don't get to the high intensity quickly enough or long enough.

That depends on what you mean by "hard". If you are talking intensity -- then, no, I have not found a class at the gym to be as intense. But I also haven't attended many cardio classes at the gym. I usually do my heavy lifting there.

However, the first time I do a new Cathe video...it isn't that intense either because I'm just learning it and can't really put everything I've got into it. So it's not fair for me to say that an instructors class isn't that intense when I haven't attended more than once.

If you are talking about choreography -- well, there are some really complex classes being taught around here (DFW) with very little break-down of the moves (which, actually, is not good either). I don't have a problem catching on to any of Cathe's moves...and yet I found myself standing in awe just looking at the combo being taught by the instructor at a recent step class. These types of classes are hard mentally, but not really very intense.

I think it's good to get a variety. If you aren't enjoying the gym -- then working out at home seems like a good idea. I really like doing both to keep things interesting.

Shonie

The only thing that I've found harder than Cathe's workouts have been when I was training for martial arts at 90 minutes a class four times a week. However, Cardio Kicks comes very close to the type of intensity we had in class. It was brutal and I screwed up my knees pretty bad during that time.

My situation may be unique, but I take a kickbox class that is by far tougher than anything Cathe tape I own. I think the teacher is simply exceptional and very well educated and experienced. Honestly, the class I take is like Boot Camp meets KPC with 8 interval bursts using the step and a 1/2 hr. sculpting segmant and 10 minute ab section and cool down! To boot, the teacher changes the power bursts often and keeps us guessing. Also, I love,love,love the steam and sauna and the Smith Machine. I am keeping my gym memebership for now, and my Cathe workouts!;-) dmd

Is Cardio Kicks really intense? I only have Cathe's Kickbox video & it really didn't do much for me so I never bought the other two. How does it compare to the step videos, say either IMAX? Would you say it's at the lower end of Cathe's intensity, middle or high? Is Kick Punch & Crunch intense as well?

Cardio Kicks isn't as intense as KPC, IMO. It's more intense than Kickbox, though. KPC will literally kick your butt! KPC is the hardest cardio one for me.

I trained for a little while to become an aerobics instructor and I never felt like I got a good workout while I was at the gym.

I have gone to kickbox classes that are also tougher than Cathe. And I have gone to many a spin class that is just as tough as a Cathe class, and one aqua aerobics class that was just as tough, but I couldnt stand the chlorine fumes. (Not taught by Annette Aquajock, I'm sure that one would kill me.)

Generally speaking though, most gym stuff is not worth my time. I just go to the occasional spin class and while I'm there I sometimes use some machines.

I agree with Shonie, I think it's good to get variety. I only go to the gym for classes (my gym is so incredibly overcrowded I have no patience to wait for machines, etc)and the list of instructors that can come close to or match Cathe's intensity has dwindled down to only one, IMO. When this instructor leaves, I think I will too!! There is one kickbox class at the gym I used to take that really kicks butt and is just as intense as Cathe's, but this class is soooo overcrowded that it just isn't worth it for me.......cannot get a good workout when people invade my spacex(

Maximus....KPC is MUCH more intense than Cardio Kicks!! I would have to say it is more towards the high end of Cathe's intensity, especially when you really give it your all!!! Honestly, Cardio Kicks is one of my least favorites of Cathe's workouts, in fact I think I've only done the entire workout only once. I think I'm put off by all the high/lo that is in this workout. If you like high/lo then you will probably like CK, but KPC is pure kickbox. It is definitely one of my favorites:7! Hope this helps!

My most ultimate videos are the IMAX series. However, cardio kicks was right up there. What used to clean my clock was the drills she would have you do after the cardio section. At the time you may think that it's easy until the next morning and you cannot believe how sore you are and where you are sore. I underestimated that video, thought I was in pretty good shape and overdid it. I couldn't get my abs sore come save my life but after that video, I could feel a very nice burn the next day and I didn't even think I worked my abs that much.

The video that is my least favorite is MIC, icky. It's all a matter of preference. When I trained in martial arts, we never went to martial shows, it was all full body contact where you build body armor. It was geared around street fighting and how to hit once and take your attacker down. If you have watch extreme martial arts, it's exactly like that.

Do this video hard and you'll realize just how in shape you are. Just my humble opinion.

I agree that KPC is a very intense workout. It has "intervalish" spots and, for me, it's right up there with Imax2. It is really worth owning.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.