Cathe--can you describe with more detail?

wendyloo

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,
Could you describe the cardio section(s) of the new workouts in a little more detail? Basically, I need to know if I will be able to use one end of my regular club-sized step for the cardio portions of the High Step workouts, or if I will need to actually buy a high step.

Thanks very much!

I'm anxious to find out if I "need" to buy another step for the new series. I would much rather make do with the regular sized step I already have if possible.

Thanks, Coletta

Wendy:

I am glad you asked. This is my dilema too. I do not like the idea of being forced to buy another piece of equipment either.

But, I think it would be perfectly OK to do the cardio on the regular step, after all Cathe said it would be on 6" for the cardio, then push it aside and get my chair that I use for step ups and other exercises that need the high step. And unless I hear to the contrary, i.e. that it is absolutely essential to have the HS, cannot do workout without it, this is my economy plan B plan!

Clare

Hi Clare (and sorry, Cathe to hog your Ask Cathe forum!),
My concern stems from a few threads I read over on VF. People are speculating that these new High Step workouts may be similar to old Firm workouts. I've never seen these workouts, but it sounds as though you would need to have the High Step, or a simialr piece of equipment, so that you could use all four sides... I can't really be sure, but it sounds as though using one end of your regular step wouldn't work. It's not the height of the piece of equipment that is the issue, but rather the side to side and front to back dimensions.
If that's not the case and the width/length doesn't matter, I'm definitely not spending money on anything new, either! :)

I was able to use my regular step with the firm workouts by turning it so the long part ran in front of me towards the TV. You only step up and to the left and right-you never go forward over the square steps because its too dangerous. However, Cathe will probably figure out some safe way to go flying all over the high step. So, who knows.
Beth

Yep, that's a concern of mine. I haven't tried very many firms but I did get the all step mix to try and it definitely requires some sort of little square box rather than a full size step. I didn't like it then and I doubt the idea will ever grow on me. If it turns out that the high step will be 'required' for these workouts I'll probably just get myself a cheep little step stool instead!

ah, yes, you have a point there........well, maybe I'll just spend my money on a new cute workout top instead!!!

Clare

Rubbermaid has a 14 inch stool that has a top that opens and you can store ankle weights, gloves and a couple of VHS tapes in it. I bought mine 5 years ago and it still serves as my high step. I used it for the FIRM ages ago and it is sturdy and just the right height for me.

I also have the Rubbermaid stool, but Cathe's description of the workouts says that the height will be lowered to 6 inches during at least some of the cardio portions, so that won't work...

:)

I was hesitant to buy a high step (I had a box-type thing that has worked well for years), but I finally caved and bought one. I don't have room for a lot of equipment, but I have to say that, other than my barbell, this is the BEST piece of fitness equipment I have bought. It's sturdy, easy to move around and very versatile. I'd buy it over a cute top in a heartbeat! You'll have it for years!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.