Cathe...can I do step workouts without the step??

eaglobo

Cathlete
Ok, before anyone laughs at me, let me explain....A couple of weeks ago I decided to purchase a step simply because a couple of my Cathe purchaes came with step workouts...namely Body Fusion and KPC.

Now, I do have a back condition which prohibits me from working as a landscaper, and am doing desk work. I was told by my physician several years ago...(in whom I have complete trust)..that exercise would greatly benefit my back, and I fell in love with kickboxing..and my back hasn't felt this good in years!!

Last week, I attempted Basic Step for the first time, and about 5 minutes in, I wanted to die, my back was killing me, so much so to the point where I wasn't able to work out at all for a week...that was tough.

My doc tells me I need to stay away from step aerobics because it involves different areas of the body, and she is sure I aggravated my condition...On the surface, this doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me..I feel zero discomfort when I weight train, walk, or kickbox, but I have learned to trust me doc, so I must abide by her..so no step for me.

So, here's my question..will I get an effective workout if I simply do the same moves without the step...knowing full well that it won't be as effective as with the step??

I was able to do KPC today..with zero discomfort at all..save for the discomfort tha comes from no activity for a week!!

Any HHHHEEEELLLLPPPPPP would be greatly appreciated!!:)

Jerry

PS..would I still be able to take your high step class at your studio and just modify without the step?? I can still use the step for tricep work...concentration curls, that sort of thing....;-)

Hi Jerry! You don't need to use the step to have a good workout. I did this while recovering from my knee surgery. I taught my step class on a a yoga mat for four months(so that my class had a visual). I still broke a sweat each and every time. Its a great low impact workout.

Listen to your body, listen to your doctor, and have a great workout! Oh and yes, you will be just fine doing high step without a step. Please set one up anyway though because you will need it for a prop when we do triceps dips or as a chairwhen we do seated exercises. Hope to see you soon:)

Cathe...thank you so much for the response...I was feeling kind of bummed out the last few days, mainly because I couldn't get my workouts in, also because I have these step workouts here and felt I couldn't use them....Thanks for re-assuring me!!!!

I will definitely be heading up your way this fall, and I'll call your studio a few days in advance to make sure you're teaching!!

PS...I love the upper body workout that comes with Basic Step and Cardio Fusion!!! KPC is still my #1, though!!

Jerry

you know i will be darned if i can find the website again, but there was a mat that you could use for pylometrics and speed agility training that was shaped pretty much like the step. i got the catalog before but i can't remember the company. that might help out some too. but i think anything like a mat or even marking the floor(if its possible) with tape will help you keep in the movements,while still getting to enjoy the creative choreography of cathe videos.

kassia

http://www.picturetrail.com/ldy_solana

"And do what thee wilt as long as ye harm none"

http://images.meez.com/user03/06/01/04/060104_10010099873.gif

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.