Cathe-ADVICE NEEDED!

runrn7

Hey there Cathe and the boards!

I have a question for you all...some advice/guidance needed.

I have been an AVID exerciser for over 10 years, but along the way I have done a little and got results, too much and ended up getting bulkier (from weights), and something in between and achieved results as well.

Now I just turned 36, and I am looking to start over again. I want to find a balance between life and working out, a balance between weights and cardio. I want to lose some inches in my legs, but that is also where I tend to get too bulky with too many cardio and too many weight workouts.

I don't know where to begin again. I have a home gym complete with everything, and I also belong to a gym for the classes and some cardio equipment I do not have.

I used to be an avid runner, but got tired of that and the results from it also stopped. I am just so confused as to what is a good balance. Cardio one day and weights the next?

I am 5 ft. 1 1/2 and weight 119 pounds. I am lean in the upper body and "fatter" in the butt//hips/thighs.

I lurk a lot on the board, and love my Cathe tapes. I like to throw them in for a change each week.

But, my BIG ?? is how to find something that will work without getting overboard/doing too much. And of course, I want results from what I do.

Any advice?

When I was in my 20's, I did not need to do much to get results. Now it seems as if I can exercise til the cows come home, and nothing works anymore.

I took a huge break (4 months recently off) to give my body a rest after so many years of pounding the pavement and getting nowhere. I am ready to come back, but don't know where to start.

THANKS!

Pamela

Hi Pamela! You have had a nice break for your body to totally recover and allow you to get in the mind set to start entirely new....so now the big key to your success will be to eat very clean. Thats 50% right there. The next part will be trial and error. It seems that you have done a lot but not quite happy with the results you were seeing from it. Being that you have access to DVD's, a fully equipped home exercise room, and a gym membership, you can do a lot of testing to see what works. If I were in your situation right now here is what I would do....keep in mind what works for me may not work for you. This is just one of MANY MANY MANY weekly routines you can do.

Monday:
Go to gym and work BACK AND BI'S(moderate to heavy weight...3 sets of 12 per exercise...about 4 back and 3 bicep exercises)...do 25 minutes of light running on the treadmill.

Tues:
Stay home and do Imax 2 and then 10 minutes of core work.

Wed:
Go to gym and do LEGS (moderate to heavy weight...leg press, deadlifts, walking lunges, leg extensions, hamstring curls, adduction/abduction machine, and calf raises)

Thurs: Stay home and do Kick Punch and Crunch.

Fri: Go to gym and do CHEST AND TRICEPS(moderate to heavy weight.....3 sets of 12 per exercise...about 4 chest and 3 tricep exercises)...then do 25 minutes of light running on the treadmill.

Sat: Go to gym and take spin class and then do SHOULDERS(or vice versa). Do moderate to heavy weight.....3 to 4 shoulder exercises at 3 sets of 12 per exercise. Then do AB/CORE....use the ab crunch machine, do decline sit ups, and use the oblique machine.

Sunday: OFF

Hi Cathe & Pamela!

I first just wanted to say to you, Cathe, that you are so committed to helping others no matter what day it is! Each time I read your posts, such as this one, I have all the more respect and admiration for the person you are! You are truly a dedicated healer to this world! Thank you for all you do!:*

I had a question to add to this post: obviously after taking a long break from working out the body is going to feel severe DOMS once it starts back up again. I know the general rule of thumb is to gradually work up to it, but more specifically; what would you recommend doing to reduce some of this as it may interfere with the ability to even move the next day, let alone pump iron again:eek:? Start with really really light weight? Less reps or sets? Shorter runs on the tread? I know it will be almost impossible to avoid any DOMS, but what would your professional advice be for working out after a long break? Thanks in advance Cathe!:7

HI!

Cathe,
Thanks so much for the advice and recommendations! Appreciated!

I decided to go with the trial and error approach and see how things go after a month...see if I am getting the results I desire.

What is DOMS? I am sorry I don't know what that means.

Pamela

As far as what weight load to use or how hard/intense the cardio should be I would say that is all individual. See how you feel once you start working out/lifting weights again.

>What is DOMS? I am sorry I don't know what that means.

Pamela,

I didn't know what that meant either until I found these Forums (and I've learned ALOT more! Everyone is so helpful!)...DOMS means delayed onset muscle soreness.

Have a great day!

DOMS = Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness. The pain or discomfort often felt 24 to 72 hours after exercising due to tiny tears in the muscle fibers which is caused by eccentric contraction, or unaccustomed training levels. Example of an eccentric contraction of the biceps muscle: the elbow starts the movement while bent and then straightens as the hand moves away from the shoulder.

Hope this helps!:7

Thanks for the explanation...I have been feeling sore since yesterday's workout and I am sure today's will bring more soreness on.

Pamela

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.