catalina island

pumpfe

Hi -

Any suggestions about visiting catalina island? I will be in LA the end of Feb and I was thinking about taking a couple of extra days to see some sights.

Catalina island looks like a very interesting place.

Thanks in advance,javascript:smilie(':)')
Debbie Russo

Please note that Catalina Island is a sleepy eyed town during the winter where everything closes after dark (I'm not kidding). There is only one inhabited town, Avalon, where the boats dock. Lots of hotels and some shops here. You get around town in an electric golf cart that you can rent. There is a golf course and there is a tram that will take you on a tour of the Island. I highly recommend you take a tour of the ballroom.

If you don't mind reading at night (or see a movie at the ballroom), then you will be fine. I personally think you can do Catalina Island in a day during the off season.

The "aquarium" is what the bay is called.

Hope this helps.
Lorrayne

Debbie:
I am from CA and never went to Catalina till last summer. It is for sure a sleepy little town but so quaint and not to be missed. My hubby and I went on an eco rafting tour and dolphins swam right with the boat; it was so much fun! And they have a great burger place down town, don't remember the name but it's on the main street with a place to eat outside and the burgers are awesome (and I eat red meat about 3 or 4 times a year!)
If you're looking for night life this is not the place. If you're looking for a unique California experience, this is the place.
Paula

Lorrayne -

If you had 3-4 days to do something "different" in southern cal, any suggestions? I am not a night-life kind of person. More into nature, hiking, etc. (but I do not camp - need my indoor plumbing and screens!)

I currently live on the west coast of florida and will be stopping in LA on route to my new home in port townsend washington. I thought that while I was in the LA area it would be fun to see something uniquely southern californian. I have never been to that area before.

It seems that everyone you talk to has a different opinion on what is worth seeing.

Thanks again for any suggestions.

Debbie Russo

Hi Debbie,

I'm a native Southern Californian and can help you out. You mentioned you will be out here this February so you can do the following outdoorsy things:

skiing: Big Bear mountain in the San Bernadino mountains. This is only a 2 hour drive from LA. I used to go there in the summertime to go hiking, horseback riding, and fishing.

hiking: I recommend you check out http://www.latrails.com/hike/ for a listing of hiking trails in the LA area. Griffith Park is a wonderful place that is in the Los Angeles area. They have a zoo and an observatory. However, I believe the observatory is still closed for renovations.

You may want to check http://www.latourist.com/ as well. They have several links to places to visit.

I would suggest going to the Farmer's Market in downtown LA (not far from LAX). Really neat place to go shopping and to eat some good food.

Here are some additional suggestions:

There are some really interesting museums. La Brea Tar Pits are neat to walk through. It's also in downtown LA.

Take a tour of the Queen Mary in Long Beach.

Go to the Santa Monica Pier.

Go to the Venice Beach boardwalk. Only do this in the daylight, though. Here, you will find muscle beach where you'll see lots of big guns!

You can go to Palm Springs if you want to see the desert. The weather's pretty nice out there right now and is only a 2 hour drive from LA.

Hope this provides you with some ideas of things to do. I love Southern California (I now live in San Diego) and I go hiking every weekend!

Lorrayne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.