cat checkup

i am going to have the vet check everything-urine,stools,teeth,ears.she turned 10 in january. i think its necessary because of all the problems she had before. but is it neseccary to also have her blood done?

bacterial infection
kidney level high from eating foot long dental floss
UTI
flea alergies
colds but only 2x in her life
everything else only once

laura

Yes it is important to have a complete blood panel done. It provides a guideline for any other problems down the road plus you will know how her kidneys, liver etc are doing. Bloodwork is important.

I agree that blood panels are good after cats reach a certain age (I usually start around 8). They can show things you otherwise would miss or catch things early that can become more serious if left untreated.

I would not have caught one of my cat's diabetes early without a blood panel, and a blood panel was the warning that another cat was on the verge of kidney problems.

Also - ask the vet to check blood pressure. They hardly ever do this unless you ask, but it is critical for their health. Also if their blood pressure gets too high, they will go blind. The good news is the vet can prescribe medicine to keep it under control which will prevent them from going blind.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.