Carole - Vegan Indian Food Recipe for you!

andtckrtoo

Cathlete
Carole - found one and I think all of the ingredients are easy to find. The chili powder is different, but probably not enough to notice, and this is one DH cooks frequently.

Aloo Gobi

3 tbsp of sunflower oil
1 large onion
1 tsp garlic paste (or fresh garlic)
1 tbsp fresh ginger root cut into slivers
2 large plum tomatoes, peeled and chopped
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 tsp red chili powder
1 tsp cumin seeds
salt
1.25 pounds potatoes (peeled and diced)
1.25 pounds cauliflower, cut into medium florets
5-6 tbsp chopped cilantro

Heat the oil in a saucepan, add the onion, and cook until slightly browned. Add the garlic paste and ginger slivers, then add the tomatoes, spices, and salt to taste and stir well. Add potatoes and cauliflower together with 1/2 cup water. Stir well, then put the lid on the pan. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are tender.

Remove the lid and continue cooking until the oil seperates out. Stir in most of the chopped cilantro leaves. Garnish with the rest of the cilantro and serve.

This is a very traditional Indian dish. Serve with the following:

Curried Chickpeas

1 can of chickpeas
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 large onion
4 garlic cloves
2 tbsp curry powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp salt
1 chopped serrano chili (seeds removed)
cilantro

Drain chickpeas, heat the oil in a large frying pan, add the onion and the garlic and cook for a few minutes until golden. Stir in the curry powder and add 4 tbsp water. Cook for another few minutes. Stir in the chickpeas and cook for another 5 minutes. Pour in 1 cup of water and season with cumin, salt, and chili. Bring to a boil, the reduce heat to low. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until thechickpeas are soft and juicy adding more water if necessary.

Serve both with whole wheat tortillas warmed in the microwave (or if you have an Indian store close by, buy some parathas instead). The aloo gobi and the chickpeas should be eaten in the bread for authenticity.

Not Carole but salivating like Pavlov's dogs reading this recipe. I have it printed and will prepare it for our family dinner on Sunday!:9 :9

Thanks for posting this Christine my family will love this!! You are making me look very good Girl!:7

Take Care
Laurie:)

Laurie- glad I can make you look good! I love easy recipes that are delicious. And I love good food. A hint -if you or the girls like things hot - the Indians will keep serrano peppers on the side of their plate and take a bit of the pepper before they take a bite of food. Sometimes I can handle that (I have days when I can eat extremely spicy, and days while something a bit more mild feels better). You can get the same kind of flavoring with peppers that are not as hot - like jalapenos. You can also de-seed them and cut them into strips - the seeds are the hottest part.

Wow!! Christine....this recipe looks so good....:)...Thank you!! I for sure copied and saved it!!! My DH can tolerate a bit of hot...:)...I really like it!...:)

:9
This looks perfect for this weekend!
The weather here is quite dreary, so I am in the mood for comfort food. Thanks,

bhappy

Hi,
thank for the recipe. i will be making it this weekend. I love Indian food. I got engaged outside the indian restaurant. It is our favorate restaurant. Since we are almost vegan we love indian since they have more vegetable dishes than the standard restaurants.
thanks again.
violet

Hi,
thank for the recipe. i will be making it this weekend. I love Indian food. I got engaged outside the indian restaurant. It is our favorate restaurant. Since we are almost vegan we love indian since they have more vegetable dishes than the standard restaurants.
thanks again.
violet

Thank you! Love Indian food and this is a great recipe. (Now if I could just say no to the naan and the raita and the chutney and the samosas!!!!!!)

(BTW...did anyone see the episode of The Office where Michael thought a samosa was a s'more??? Pretty funny.)

Thank you! Love Indian food and this is a great recipe. (Now if I could just say no to the naan and the raita and the chutney and the samosas!!!!!!)

(BTW...did anyone see the episode of The Office where Michael thought a samosa was a s'more??? Pretty funny.)

Tpf - missed that one - how funny! Just a note - Amy's Kitchen makes a samosa that is healthy and delicious. I was so happy to find that! I'll often eat one for my 4:00 snack. Sooo good.

Tpf - missed that one - how funny! Just a note - Amy's Kitchen makes a samosa that is healthy and delicious. I was so happy to find that! I'll often eat one for my 4:00 snack. Sooo good.

Christine,

I've had those!!! Amy and Green Guru make very good frozen Indian entrees and meals, too. Green Guru even makes naan!!!!! No perservatives, natural ingredients (hmm...I've even gotten some grit from the spinach in Amy's Palek Paneer...not necessarily a good thing!)

I think DH and I might be going out for Indian food tonight...
:)

Christine,

I've had those!!! Amy and Green Guru make very good frozen Indian entrees and meals, too. Green Guru even makes naan!!!!! No perservatives, natural ingredients (hmm...I've even gotten some grit from the spinach in Amy's Palek Paneer...not necessarily a good thing!)

I think DH and I might be going out for Indian food tonight...
:)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.