CARDIO

Sabrina

Cathlete
Hi Cathy,
I really love strength training and muscle endurance, but I don't care for cardio much at all. Before I came upon your tapes I was following Bill Philips - Body for Life. He say's
one only needs to do 20 min. of cardio on alternate day's of strength training, as long as cardio is done effectively. Example: Walking for 2 min, the to a light jog for 1, and increasing each minute to 9, then dropping back to an intensity of 6 and building up again to intensity of 9. The last set go all out and then last min. you would walk to cool down. I have so much trouble following moves on step tapes although they look like fun, I have two left feet. I don't own a treadmill, or bike. Does one really have to do a lengthy cardio such as 45 min to lose fat. Don't we burn enough calories when we do a good strength or endurance workout??? Im I just a DREAMER. Your the Best!!

Hi Sabrina!

The minimum requirement for cardiovascular conditioning(conditioning your heart to lower your risks of heart disease, high blood pressure, etc.)are 3 times per week at 20 minutes per session. But the minimum requirement to lose body fat varies per individual. Some can do it on 3 weekly 20 minute cardio workouts while some can't. Yes, you are right, you will burn calories and fat as a result of weight training, however, it has been proven that to get the safest and most effective body fat loss results, you should do BOTH cardiovascular training and weight training.

My suggestion: Start off with three weekly 20 minute walk/jog workouts in addition to your weight training and see if this does the trick. If not, either increase the time of each cardio workout or increase the amount of days that you do your cardio workouts. Good Luck!

Thanks Cathy

I will follow that suggestion, because I find the Step Video's too long right now. I know I need the cardio because I am definately getting good muscle, but the fat is still there!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.