Cardio Suggestions

ashaw

Cathlete
I'm making a lot of progress after my foot sprain, which came about 3.5 months after I injured my knee doing Cardio Slam. I can do weights without issue, but right now I'm so limited on what cardio I can do. Slide N Glide Double Trouble premix and Fit Split's Low Impact HIIT are two Cathe cardios that I know I can do and I've also done some of the easier Turbo Jam and Turbo Fire workouts. I might be able to do something like Low Max with 1 set of risers or even just the platform itself. I've had my eyes on a used Octane Fitness elliptical at the preowned fitness store, but I'm not sure if my husband would be on board with a purchase like that, even if I could finance it. I already walk my dog twice a day and other than that, don't really care to walk for cardio. I've looked at Hip Hop abs and it looks fun and doable from a choreography standpoint. I'm open to suggestions for other cardio workouts and am not here to promote other workouts/instructors because if not for my injuries, I'd still be going full speed with Cathe.

If you're interested in low-impact Cathe ...

LITE Cardio Party & Rev'd Up Rumble.

ICE Low Impact Sweat

Xtrain AOLIH (& Supercuts is low impact )

RWH Low Impact HiiT

Step Boss Step Sync & IMAX4

Perfect 30 Low Impact HiiT

Intermediate Low Impact Step

Basic Step & Body Fusion

4Day Split Lower Intensity Step

LIS Step Challenge

ICE & LITE's Metabolic workouts can be considered cardio

I can modify most kickbox workouts to low impact, as well as most step workouts. Just because there's higher impact doesn't mean you have to do higher impact.

Good luck & congrats on your progress after these 2 injuries.

I do Cathe's kickbox workouts but take out most of the jumping. I actually use some of the low impact modifications from Turbo Jam in some of Cathe's kickbox workouts, like the alternative to jump rope. ICE Rock M Sock M has Amanda showing modifications for some of the moves, so I incorporate these into other Cathe kickbox workouts too.

Thank you! I forgot all about Afterburn!!! I can do Afterburn without issue and haven’t tried cardio supersets. I love athletic training but am cautious about using a step as I haven’t been on one since my June knee injury. I’ve also done metabolic blast from ICE without issue. I’m primarily looking for cardio to supplement my weight training.

Thank you! I forgot all about Afterburn!!! I can do Afterburn without issue and haven’t tried cardio supersets. I love athletic training but am cautious about using a step as I haven’t been on one since my June knee injury. I’ve also done metabolic blast from ICE without issue. I’m primarily looking for cardio to supplement my weight training.
Cardio Supersets is fun ... I skip the segments I don't like & still get a good cardio workout.

Today I did Turbo Jam Cardio Party 1 and wore my knee compression brace. During a few parts of the workout, I could feel my knee, not pain, just a sharp feeling. I'm trying to really play it safe because right now would not be a good time for me to injure my knee working out. I do have health insurance, but it would be a stretch to cover something that was an unexpected emergency. I would love to be able to have an MRI and at least know is it just osteoarthritis, is it something to do with my meniscus, ACL, MCL, etc. There are places that do discount MRI's when you pay cash, but I learned my lesson on that because I did that a few years ago for an ultrasound and the facility I went to had really old, outdated equipment and I ended up spending more while trying to save money than if I'd just gone to the place my doctor recommended and it would've been one and done. I really miss Cardio Slam, that was my favorite go to Saturday workout because I could get burn a lot of calories in a relatively short amount of time. Because I've had such good luck with Slide and Glide Double Trouble premix, I'm thinking about when I finally do decide to try Cardio Slam to do certain moves, like the forward, middle, back and air jack series, the side to side burpees with the jump in the middle, the traveling power scissors and the spiderman climbers, just to name a few, using the gliding discs. I think that would work because Cathe doesn't go from one exercise to the next really fast so I'd have time to grab my discs when needed. And I also got on eBay and bought the old dvd's of Shaun T's Hip Hop Abs and Rockin Body. I've been so serious with my weight training that I'd like some fun cardio and these workouts seem pretty knee friendly as there's no jumping.

Last edited:
While I haven't done cardio slam, I have with some of Cathe's other moves kept the sliders out in front of me and subbed them in for some of those moves and it works great.

I wore my brace this morning and did Turbo Fire 45 class and I was beyond thrilled at how well I did and how well I feel afterwards. I only felt a few small twinges in my knee, but I also kept the workout very low impact. I didn't do the jumping jacks, air jacks or tuck jumps. I'm not sure what the difference was, unless this time I really had the brace on properly because I was sitting on the floor when I put it on and made sure the center was over my kneecap.

Yesterday I also tried part of the 15 minute tutorial for Rockin Body and I liked it and it seemed knee friendly so far. I also got the Hip Hop Abs series on eBay so I'll see how it goes.

Last edited:
Cardio Supersets was on my calendar today .. thought of you while doing it ... I encourage you to try it... the 2nd half uses the gliding discs & one of the timesaver premixes is the 2nd half. .. so give it a go! It's about 40 minutes, but premixes increase & decrease.

Cardio Supersets was on my calendar today .. thought of you while doing it ... I encourage you to try it... the 2nd half uses the gliding discs & one of the timesaver premixes is the 2nd half. .. so give it a go! It's about 40 minutes, but premixes increase & decrease.
Thank you thank you thank you! That's a great idea! I'm slowly getting more confident about my knee. Yesterday I did Butts and Guts without my brace because I don't feel I need it for weight training. This morning I did Fit Split Mixed Impact Cardio and Pull Day and I kept the brace on the entire time only because the cardio came first and I didn't want to fool with taking it off because then I'd have to take my shoe off just to take off the brace. I was able to do some of the high impact moves and only felt a "twinge" in my knee one time. No residual soreness. I was planning to do All Out Low Impact HIIT tomorrow, but decided to change because the next day will be Fit Split Shred Cardio and Push day. I'm definitely going to do the Shred cardio on just the platform or one set of risers max. I'd rather play it safe and be able to workout then try to push hard and sit out with an injury. So I was undecided about what cardio to do tomorrow morning and I think I'll give Cardio Supersets a try! It just feels so good to start breaking back into "normal" cardio again after the knee injury 5 months ago.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.