cardio help!

lbks

I just ordered the PS videos and plan to start doing them every other day during the week in the evening. I also do an interval type of training on Saturdays. In the mornings and on Sunday I would like to do my cardio, usually on the treadmill. My question is how many minutes of cardio do I need to do each week to lose and then maintain my weight? Also what is the optimum heartrate to burn fat, or how to you figure it for your height, weight, age?

Unfortunately, there are no definites to all of your questions. Let me see if I can help you by sharing the following.

To get and maintain cardiovascular benefits, 3 cardio sessions at 20 minutes per session are the absolute minimum reqirements. Doing this amount plus anything beyond will attribute to weight loss.

There are 3500 calories in a pound. If you were to burn off an additional 500 calories per day, you would burn off one pound after a seven day period(four pounds per month). In addition to burning off an additional 500 calories per day, if you were to eat 500 calories less per day(a total of 1000), you would now burn off two pounds after a seven day period(eight pounds per month). It is not advised that you burn off any more than two pounds per week. Going beyond two pounds per week is not considered safe weight loss practice.

How to know "about" how much you are burning per workout. You are burning about 6 to 10 calories per minute when you are working out in your training zone. 6 calories is the approximation when you are at the low end of your training zone and 10 calories is the approximation when you are at the high end of your training zone. Therefore if you are in your LOWER training zone for 30 minutes, you can figure that you have burned about 180 calories in that thirty minute period(note: you are also burning some calories during your warm up and cool down period). If you are in the HIGH end of your training zone for 30 minutes, you can figure that you burned about 300 calories in that 30 minute period.

How to figure out what percentage of your training zone you are in: Take your age and subtract it by 220. This is your maximum heart rate(we never exercise at our max). Now multiply your maximum by .6, then your maximum by .7, then by .8 and finally by .9 This will represent 60, 70, 80, and 90 percent of your maximum heart rate. 60% is the lower end of your training zone, 70% is the average end, and 80 to 90% is the higher end of your training zone. So for example: If you are 30 years old, you would subtract 30 from 220. This would give you 190. Now 190 x.6 is 114. 114 would be 60% of your maximum heart rate(your lower training zone). To multiply 190 by .9 you would get 171. 171 would be 90% of your maximum heartrate(your higher training zone).

Hope this helps you
happy.gif
!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.