Cardio Coach Version 2 Revised - Help

goldenpath

Cathlete
I am not really good at listening to my body and not really sure if I am working at the correct levels. As a guide, I was wondering if you could post what speeds and inclines you use for Challenge 1, 2 and 3.

I think this would help me out.

Thanks

Let me preface this with the fact that I am not a runner. So, my settings are usually around 6's. I walk for about 4.2 MPH as my baseline. When the challenge is a level three hill, I increase to 6%. Sometimes I go up to 7% or 8% but I start at 6% to see how I feel. The sprints for me are usually 6MPH. I pretty much use 6% or 6MPH for level three hills and sprints. Level 4 hills I go to 10% incline and level 4 sprints I go to 7-7.5MPH. Again, I'm not in tremendously great shape but these are my settings. I always work up a good sweat.
Aimee

I'm not good at listening to my body either. I will work way too hard too long and give myself problems from that.

I use my HR monitor and use the % of heart rate reserve and the levels within that that Coach Sean recommends (http://www.cardiocoach.com/aboutQSG5.php). I put my settings for my treadmill at a level that keeps my HR "in the zone." Or when I'm outside, I speed up or slow down to keep my HR in the place Coach Sean tells me.

Doing this allows me to work hard within the parameters of safety and I've seen speed and endurance gains because of it.

April

I go by how I feel. Some days are better than others. I tried using a HRM but found the zones were not doing anything for me. To say in zone 1 I would have to walk at a snails pace and usually found zone 3 I was always out of. So I put down the HRM and go by how I feel.

Today for example I did zone 3 at 10% incline and either 3.3 or 3.5 mph. Zone 4 was 15% incline at 3.3 mph. Zone 2 was usually flat at 3.5mph. I rarely go below 3.5mph during the workout, I will go below during cooldown.

Hope this helps,
Rhonda

Thank you for the responses. I only did Cardio Coach once and really was not sure if I was in the right zones/levels.

If I understand correctly, my MHR would be 226 - 35 = 191 and therefore my zones would be as follows:

Level/Zone 1 – 105.05 –124.15
Level/Zone 2 – 124.15-143.25
Level/Zone 3 – 143.25-162.35
Level/Zone 4 – 162.35 –191

Please let me know if I am doing this correctly? And I will try it and see how it works.

When I did the workout I was between 3.5 and 5.5 in speed and between 0 – 5 for hills.

When we are doing sprints, I guess I should be concentrating on speed and leaving it at 0 incline and therefore when going hills, speed should be lower and I should be concentrating on going higher on the incline. (Example: I was doing 4.5 speed at 5 incline and maybe I should lower the speed to 3.0 or 3.5 and up the incline to 8 –9 or something like that).

Thank you for helping me figure this out.

Debbie,

There are various ways people use to calculate Max HR and the age predicted formula is one of them. It is probably the least relaible. If you are using a Heart Rate Monitor the instructions probably have a method described that may require you to determine your resting heart rate and adjust the Max HR based on this.

Here is the Karvonen method which is adjusted for resting HR:
http://completerunning.com/archives/2006/10/27/the-karvonen-method-heart-rate-zones/

These methods too are not completely reliable especially for more fit individuals. You can get Max HR tested professionally based on an exercise test as an option. However, Karvonen or the mehod described in the HRM manual may be a more convenient option.

When you are doing sprints, it is suggested to use speed and leave the incline at 0%, and for hills it suggested to go slower and use incline. A trek is a combo of hill and sprint where you use moderate incline and speed in combination.

One example could be Level 3:
Sprint - Run at 5.8 at 0%
Hill - Walk at 3.8 at 10%
Trek - Run at 5.3 at 1.5%

Another alternative:
Sprint - Run at 5.8 at 0%
Hill - Run at 4.9 at 3.5%
Trek - Run at 5.3 at 1.5%

The numbers are just indicative, they should depend on what feels right for you.

During Level 3, you should feel like you can just-about-manage a few quick words while walking/running, not pushing so hard that you would feel annoyed/unable to respond at all if someone came up and asked you a question, nor working so easy that you will be glad to chat. You may want to try to find a setting for which within 30 to 40 seconds you move beyond comfortable, but not so hard that you feel you will be forced to cut back within less than a couple of minutes of starting that level. If when you enter Zone 3 HR, that feels too easy or too tough compared to this description, the Max HR formula may not be working for you.

~* Vrinda *~

I should mention I'm using the Karvonen method of determining % heart rate reserve, not just a straight % of max. Just % of max didn't do anything for me, either. My resting and max HR are my observed numbers, not guesses and definitely not 220-age.

April

I checked out the Karvonen method and really don't quite get.

This may be a dumb question but here it goes. What is my resting heart rate? Is there a special way to check for it? Do I just sit and monitor my heart rate?

I will also have to find my manual for my HRM, I can't remember where I put it.

Thanks for all the info everyone.

I'm 36 and in relative good shape. I based my levels on my heartrate as follows:

Level 4: 167+
Level 3: 160-165
Level 2: 150s

I use whatever resistance on my elliptical to get to these heartrate levels, and this varies from day to day. Typically a level 4 effort would be 12-15(max) resistance.

Just wanted to report that I used my heart rate monitor to determine the levels while doing Cardio Coach and my workout was amazing!!!! I think I am hooked on Cardio Coach.

I still have not been able to figure out the Karvonen method because I don’t understand the resting heart rate and how to figure that out. I will do some research and hopefully will get it.

Thanks again for all of your input.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.