cardio coach - how's it work?

fargomom

Cathlete
I've read so much on this forum about CC, and am interested, but have a few questions.

How does it work? I get that you use it while on the treadmill or the elliptical, but does Coach Sean (I think that's his name) tell you what incline or resistance to set the machine at? Or do you do it on your own? How long is each volume? Is there a volume, in particular, that you would suggest for someone trying it for the first time?

Thanks! :D

Kara, I'm sorry, but the only thing that's in my head right now is the song
Another One Bites the Dust!

lol

Gayle

Kara - in the end, the best way to understand it is to try one. I didn't really get it until I did that. However, here is my best at explaining...the volumes range in length from about 35 min to just over an hour. This includes warm up through stretch. They each have steady states, where you work in your green zone, which is above the warm up level. For example, if I am on my bike, warm up is level one and I easy pedal to get my legs warmed up. Then green zone, or level 2, comes next and I push it to the next level. I'm not huffing and puffing, but working a little bit harder. For the challenges, you stay in the orange zone, or level 3, for the most part - this is not all out, but almost. At times, you do go all out, and that is red zone, or level 4. You choose what settings you want based on your fitness and perceived exertion (how hard you think you are working), or if you have a HRM, you use your HR levels to determine your zones once you know your max HR. For me, my HR will change based on what machine I am doing though. Level 4 on the TM is different than level 4 on the stepmill. The music is awesome in the workouts, and Coach Sean's guidance is amazing as well. You will be able to more than you ever thought you could with these workouts and the time flies by. Hope this helps. Oh, the challenges consist of hills, sprints, and combos of the two. If you go to the cardiocoach.com site, there are explanations of each workout and what they consist of.

How does it work? I get that you use it while on the treadmill or the elliptical, but does Coach Sean (I think that's his name) tell you what incline or resistance to set the machine at? Or do you do it on your own? How long is each volume? Is there a volume, in particular, that you would suggest for someone trying it for the first time?
Thanks! :D
Mercifully, NO, Coach Sean does not tell you the settings to use on your equipment. While some people prefer it that way, I'd rather work at my own level of perceived exertion, and that is how Cardio Coach is designed. The Quick Start Guide is a great resource for CC newbies. It gives a pretty clear explanation of how the workouts are structured and the levels of perceived exertion, etc. Here's a link: http://cardiocoach.com/Quickstart.php

I started with Volume 1 because that just seemed logical to me, but it isn't necessary. The higher the volume, the longer the workout will be (and the challenges are longer with shorter recovery periods making it more difficult). He has a sale on right now -- 50% off when you buy 4 or more downloads -- I'd take advantage of that (the sale was supposed to end 2 days ago but it's still on!). If you just want to get one to try it, then I'd get Volume 2. It's short but fun and challenging. :)

Last edited:
One of the best things about using your perceived level of exertion is that what that is on Monday morning and what that is on Wednesday morning can be different for the same person. I've often hopped on the treadmill on Monday and been really able to push myself but, for whatever reason I'm a bit slower getting going on Wednesday. I love the self-adjusting aspect. On the treadmill, you just play with speed and incline until you have a good idea what your setting are. On an elliptical it's speed and resistance. You'll surprise yourself with how fast you progress.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.