Capri pants for "pears"?

NitWit

I usually am just a "lurker", but I have a question/problem that's about to send me over the edge that I'm hoping you can all help me with.

I am a "pear". Always have been, always will be. And I hate it, but I'm trying to learn to deal. Some days are better than others...And a bad day is when I go shopping for capri pants. My question is, have any of you pears been able to find capri pants that fit? I have looked and looked and they just don't make these things to fit my proportions. They all seem to be cut straight from the waist down which absolutely is not a design that fits me. I need a tapered waist and some room through the hips and butt (apparently something the clothers designers have never heard of). If I do find some that fit in the hips and butt, the waist is so big that someone else could jump in with me. The waist is always so big I can actually pull the things off without unbuttoning/unzipping them. Does anyone have the answer to my problem? Please tell me where you found your capris.

I have not been successful finding the perfect Capri Pants for my tall pearshape figure. That's why I make my own. If you know how to sew, there are great patterns out there.

Hi...I'm a pear too and know exactly what you're talking about...it's such a royal pain!!! The only luck I've had with capri pants is from Talbot's. Not sure if you have one in your area but they have a website and you could order a catalog. Also they arent cheap, but they have a big sale every June-ish and you can get great deals.

Stacy

I am so glad to know I am not alone on this. That at least makes me feel better.

As far as sewing...I wish I could. I have tried in the past, but that ended up being another exercise in frustration (much like finding pants that fit.)

I do have a Talbot's near me. I will definitely check them out. I know they can be spendy, but at this point, I almost don't care how much the darn things cost. I WANT A PAIR OF CAPRIS, d**n it!! (Sorry, a little bit of attitude there.)

Anyone else with ideas, keep 'em coming.

Denise

I'm not a pear but I do have large hips. I bought some Jones New York capris (from their last year's sports collection, I think) that are narrow at the waist with roomy hips - I found them in Marshalls. They do have a flared bottom though and I know a lot of women prefer a tapered fit. I also bought a pair of bootcut capris from Express that have a drawstring waist. They are made of a nice material so they look smart in spite of the drawstring and you can adjust the waist. Best of luck with your hunt for capris. I am sure it is just a matter of time before you find the right ones!

I'm not a pear, but have a friend who is and remember her frustration over trying to find certain pants. She goes to a tailor, who will either alter the existing clothes (including very cute capris - I believe she bought them at Old Navy) or make new ones. The tailor is not *that* expensive, but of course you have to shop around a little to find the best price.

I usually have to take my pants to the tailors to get the hem taken up (I'm short), or just buy a really tall pair of shoes (I know this has nothing to do with your post, but I can somewhat relate) ;)

Hi! I got mine at JCrew-and I am not straight from the waist down! I had to order one size bigger than I normally take. They even have petite sizes too! I got mine 2 years ago, and am still wearing them. Good luck!
Does anyone find that you have to go one or more sizes up from your normal pants size at Old Navy??? That store has been frustrating me lately!!!
Aside from capris and pants....are there any short people (5 1") out there who know where to get good fitting shorts??? Not long ones, not up my butt ones either-just regular shorts???

My waist is 11 inches smaller than my hips and I have the same problem a lot. I have a pair of denim capris made by Rider (I believe it's the same company that makes Lee jeans) that I really like. They have a flat front and no back pockets. They are a tad too big in the waist but definitely wearable. I got mine last year at Kmart for less than $20. I have seen this brand at Walmart also. If you want denim ones you might check the Lee brand also. I have had good luck with their jeans in the past.

i got a pair of jones ny capri pettite - stretch
They fit really well - I went down a size - so i guess they run pretty big

a nice pair of capri's is great - but yes hard to find!

It is a constant battle for me too, I have been trying to buy a new pair of boot cut blue jeans for about a year. Banana Republic has a few styles that work, give them a try. They also carry petites. My experience has been that if I find pants that have a little spandex in them they fit better. Last pair of jeans were Diesel and have a little stretch, I love them.

Hi NitWit, I too, have always had the same problem, although, thanks to Cahte and lots of hard work, I am now a smaller pear!! I just recently bought Dockers Capri pants at JC penney and absolutely LOVE them. Look for labels that say "sits lower on waist" or "sits on natural waist" they will fit much better. When I try to wear pants that button too high up on my waist (near the belly button, as oppossed to below it) that it just emphasizes my "trouble areas" . I always had a hard time finding jeans so alway wore Lee's that made me look like an old lady, till somebody turned me on to Tommy Hilfiger "classic fit" and Polo "saturday Jeans", which a so awesome. (fortunately, I have a Polo and Tommy outlet nearby!) Just thought Id add my 2cents! Good luck ! Judy

Ladies - www.landsend.com they have lots of cropped chinos and capri pants and they are actually cut for women who have hips, not 16 year old skinny teenagers! I swear by Lands End. I'm a total pear no matter what I do and I swear I have not bought one single pair of pants from anyone else in the last 2 years since I discovered Lands End pants. They have a very wide range of sizes, petites, talls, 'regular' and larger ladies sizes. They even have custom made jeans and chino's too! The other nice thing is that they are not low rise, which most pants these days seem to be, and for those of use who do not have rock hard abs, this is a blessing!

Wow!! I never expected to get so much helpful feedback. Thanks everyone for sharing all of your information. I can't wait to start checking out some of these leads.

Thanks so much!!

I am 5 ft. 3 1/2 inches and definitely a pear. Last year I bought several pairs of shorts from Gap that were classified Retro on the label--I think because they were supposed to recall the 40's and 50's in styling. I love them--and they came in lots of colors: black, denim, khaki, an aqua shade (I bought all of these) and tomato red (which I did not buy). They really fit nicely. I also bought their Retro labelled capris and they fit well too. I think it's because both the shorts and capris fall just a little below the waist, so you don't have to worry about your waist swimming in them and they just hug the hips nicely. They look great with tank tops. Sizing is also gratifying. I usually wear a 10, but with these, it was an 8.

I was also going to suggest Dockers since they nip in at the waist. I have the ooposite problem. I love those straight up and down britches since I am an apple and there's a five inch difference between my hips and my waist. Go by my waist and I ma large. Go by my hips and I am extra small. Will the powers that be ever make clothes for "real" bodies be they apple or pear? Finding clothes that fit is so frustrating sometimes!

Bobbi http://www.plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Chick's Rule!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.