Can't Tell Left From Right

Jonezie

Cathlete
Sorry to post two threads in two days...but what the heck. I'm looking for a kickboxing partner in the Pasadena area. I've got the heavy hanging bag, the gloves, wraps, focus mitts, etc. I'm all set. But here's the problem: I find it almost impossible to call out combinations for other people. I have two college degrees...but I CANNOT tell my right from my left without holding up my left arm in the "L" position. And I certainly can't think fast when calling out punches for my mirror image. PLEASE someone else tell me they have this same problem...and that I don't need electroshock treatments!

:) Jonezie

I thought I read somewhere Cathe wore a black (hairband?) on her right hand to help her with cuing in the early days. I could be wrong but I'm sure you are not alone in your dilemma.

I thought I read somewhere Cathe wore a black (hairband?) on her right hand to help her with cuing in the early days. I could be wrong but I'm sure you are not alone in your dilemma.

I think she wears it on her left wrist so she remembers that is the audience's right when she cues.

That's right! Or I should say - that's correct - it's my right, not hers. Good to know I wasn't imagining things.

I'm right there with you. I can't tell my right from my left. I have to look down to see which hand my wedding band is on. I always feel so foolish because when someone says, "its on the left", I hestitate for a beat to check out my wedding band.

I'm right there with you. I can't tell my right from my left. I have to look down to see which hand my wedding band is on. I always feel so foolish because when someone says, "its on the left", I hestitate for a beat to check out my wedding band.

Buffy...phewww!!! That means A LOT coming from an attorney (If I remember correctly)! That's me, too...I have to think a second when someone says left or right. :)

Thanks! And thanks to all of you who responded so far.

:) Jonezie

Most fitness instructors really struggle with this. Since we have to reverse our Rights and Lefts and that needs to be instinct we get pretty messed up. When we are first learning to reverse our right and left we are pretty much useless giving directions or following a GPS :eek::eek::eek:

Well, I know my left from my right because my fourth grade teacher slapped the inside of my upper arm when I kept screwing up her attempt to teach the class how to square dance. That was all it took to sear the difference into my mind. I hated that woman and think I still do.

Why don't I be your kick boxing partner. Then I can accidentally clobber you since I can't tell my right from my left either. :p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.