Can't Seem To Get Started.

punka274

Cathlete
Hello all!

So, its been a while since i've posted in this forum.

If you click on 'my story' in my profile then you will read how I lost a lot of weight about 8years ago and kept it off for about 6yrs. A total of 112lbs.

Over the period of about a year and a half I have put on about 40-45 pounds.:( I could blame it on depression and medication but in the end it was me who said 'I just don't feel like doing this anymore' and gave up.

But now I do care and I want to feel great again. But for some reason I'm having the hardest time getting started. My mindset isn't changing like it did before. I will go a few days or even a couple of weeks of healthy eating and exercise then something happens and I quit. Its like I just give up - and I'm not quitter.

I know this is a lifestyle change and I shouldn't be so hard on myself. I also know its going to take time to get back in the swing of things, I just wish I had more willpower and determination like I did before.

Any words of encouragement, support or thoughts are welcomed.

Set small goals and think day by day. Eating is like 75 percent of the battle so tackle that each day and try to give that 100percent. Add in exercise that you think is fun like 3x a week to start. And just remember every day is a new day! Good luck.

You've done it before which proves that you can do it. Dig deep and remember how great you felt about yourself for achieving that goal and that you really did feel better, probably had more energy.

We all get down on ourselves for one reason or another. You've come to a very supportive group who will provide you encouragement and even a little (virtual) kick in the butt when needed.

Lace up your sneakers and get ready! Take one step at a time, one day at a time. Stay committed on what you really want to achieve!

We're here for you. Good luck!

Lisa

Amelia, don't think of where you use to be - give yourself a clean slate; new energy, new goals and a fresh new day every day. Believe me many of us have been exactly where you are and get through it slowly. What has helped me is to take a deep breath and just be "born again" through healthy eating and exercise. As long as we are healthy, we can start over anytime, so just start with something today, ok.

Everyone here has given great advice! I'll throw in this- visit the Cathe forums everyday or at least on days when you are feeling like you need extra motivation! Sometimes you can feed off the motivation of others when you feel like you are sliding in the wrong direction.

The health/fitness journey is one that never ends. If you spend too much time looking at an "end" goal then you can lose yourself in the process. Every single day do something that makes you feel great! Whether it be a full out high intensity workout or a short walk outside. Don't let one food slip give you an out excuse for the rest of the day. Instead drink an extra glass of water and make your next choice a healthier one :)

None of us are perfect when it comes to this stuff, but we are definitely stronger together! Good luck with everything!

Amelia,

I love the clean slate idea. Something must be bothering you, try and find out what it is. Sometimes what bothers me goes pretty deep, and it effects my fitness and health goals. Also about the pros and cons of staying healthy. Sometimes we all need a reminder of the terrible consequences when we don't continue with health and fitness.

When we don't continue with our health and fitness:

Colds, flu's, not getting enough sleep, foggy minds, weight gain, heart attaches, diabetic dangers, cancer (depending how we eat), feeling low about oneself (depression)... As you know the list goes on for at least a mile.

When we continue with our health and fitness:

Just the opposite from above; Can fend off colds and flu's more readily, can sleep and rest easier, sharp minds, weight loss, gain muscle, stronger heart, feeling accomplished, self respect... As you know the list goes on for at least a mile. ;)

If you are a person who likes to record things, then use the workout manager here daily. I feel using the calender and putting workout rotations on certain days and finishing those exercises helps me a great deal. Also I have to constantly watch what I eat. It's a game of sorts and you can win this. Your memories say you can. Remember?

Congratulations for losing so much weight and sticking with it for 6 years! I have to ask for your advice on how you did it?
Would love to know the knowledge you have especially for maintaining it. I think that is the hardest part of all for me. You have a lot to offer all of us in helping with our goals.

Noticed you have a check in group, but also would like to invite you to our thread in Check Ins & Challenges called "Getting Our Licks In". There are only two of us and from time to time others who check in now and again. We post our goals, exercises and everyday lives. Slow at times, but that's life. Having two groups to be accountable in might be good. You never know.

Take care and hope you find that certain something to motivate you back into health and fitness. Would also hope to see you on "Getting Our Licks In".

Janie

Last edited:
Hi Amelia! Congrats on how far you've come so far, you've done a great job while working in a bakery - you must have some serious self-control!!!

Instead of getting started I suggest you create a habit. This site (I have no affiliation) Habits: A Simple Change in Mindset Changes Everything : zenhabits has some great posts on creating habits. I use this site (again no affiliation) https://www.lift.do/ for tracking my follow through.

You can also join us on the fat loss thread if you're so inclined :) I wish you much success!!!

Sue

Thanks girls,

I will come back to this thread over the next few months to remind myself that I can do this.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that I work in a bakery:eek:I love parts of my job but honestly didn't have a lot of weight gain until I started working there. But I am proud to say that I'm in the process of looking for another job. I had an interview this past Thursday and hoping to get that job. I will continue looking if I don't.

Sue- I checked out both those sites, thank you. The 'Lift' one is very interesting...something I may consider doing.

Janie- Yes, a few things have been bothering me lately, but they are things I can't do anything about so I told myself a couple of days ago to stop trying to change them. (one of the reasons I'm looking for another job). And I absolutely agree with you on the pro's and con's. Thank you for your kind words.

AYLE- Visiting this site has always lifted my spirits, gave me motivation. Thank you for the reminder. And your absolutely right, I'm focusing on the wrong thing here when I should be thinking about today. Only today...the weight loss and strength gains will come in time.

Workout-I decided to be born again today. Today is my fresh new slate. Thats awesome advice, thank you!

horsing around- love the name, lol. Thank you, yep...I can do this again. I just have to remind myself from time to time that I am a very strong person and can get through this. Im lacing up my sneakers today and going for a power walk.

hrcfitness- great advice. I will do it. thanks.

How did you lose the weight before and get on track? Is it something you can go back to? When you have success one way, maybe you need to try the same thing again. I'm glad you're trying to change what you can and not worrying about the things you can't change. Keep exercising. Have you had a medical check up lately? Keep checking in and letting us know how it's going.

How did you lose the weight before and get on track? Is it something you can go back to? When you have success one way, maybe you need to try the same thing again. I'm glad you're trying to change what you can and not worrying about the things you can't change. Keep exercising. Have you had a medical check up lately? Keep checking in and letting us know how it's going.

I will keep you guys updated.

And come to think of it, its been about 2 yrs since i've had a check up, think I will schedule one.

The last time I lost weight I was very committed to a food log, I wrote down everything I ate and counted calories to lose weight. It was painfully slow, but it worked. Guess thats what I have to do again. I kept the weight off the same way...just watched what I ate with a little bit more indulging here and there and kept up with my workouts.:)

Exercise can be a real good thing to get you going. I know that sounds funny, but it is addictive! If you start out slowly so you don't get too sore initially, you can build up to where it really becomes an important part of your physical, spiritual, and mental health.

Logging your food is a great way to lose weight. It really makes you mindful of what you are consuming and holds you accountable for your decisions. You did it before, and it worked! Good for you!

Start with both of them: exercise plus logging your food. I hope you're soon back on the wagon and doing great!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.