Cant seem to get back into the groove

I had a little boy 12 weeks ago. He is so sweet, and he is my first. I had to have a c section, but recovery has been very easy and I think it's because I was able to stay in shape during my pregnancy. I was given the green light to start working out again at 5 weeks, but to start very slow.

I have been trying to up the intensity, but I just don't feel like myself. Certain things still bother my incision. And I feel like I'm trying to do workouts with the same intensity that I used to and I'm falling short. I can't seem to work up a great sweat. I'm getting frustrated.

Not only that, but I can't seem to find time to work out! Logistically, I should be able to. He takes 4 naps a day! But there's always something that seems to get in the way. Either he takes a short nap or I need to pump, or work needs me to do something on my day off. I work three 12 hour days, and on days I would work I would get up at 5 am and do a 20-30 min workout and then workout an hour on days I'm off. So I would work out 6 days a week. Now I'm lucky to get 30 min 3 times a week.

Working out is a passion of mine like I'm sure many of you understand. It's necessary for my mental health! I want my mojo back! How do you mamas do it? I know there are many of you with children who are able to workout like crazy. What are your tips, will it get easier to get into a groove again?

getting in the groove

Hi,

I am the mommy of a 1 yr old and a 4.5 yr old, who had c-sections for both of my little ones. My only answer for you is give it time. I remember being super frustrated that I couldn't get a workout in with both of my kiddos. As soon as they started sleeping I would pop in a workout and it was like they had little baby radar and could tell mommy was doing something fun and they would wake up. I started working out when they were awake and watching me, which is weird but my 4.5 yr old loved it when I was home and would try to do step workouts with me, super cute.

I recommend just trying to get 20-30 min in and maybe start with yoga. One of the hardest things is trying to clear your mind and stay focused, your hormones are still flipping out, you are sleep deprived, you're at work, you have chores to do at home, ugh. I recommend Travis Eliot, if not Ultimate Yogi (great workouts but loooong) then his short and sweet one would work.

Just take your time and enjoy the time you have when they are still little ones exploring the world, soon they'll be like mine, talking non-stop, or trying to eat everything off the floor.

Thanks! Baby radar is a good way to describe it! Literally as soon as I go downstairs he wakes up! It's unbelievable. I've started the x train beginner rotation that someone posted. This is the first that I've really lifted since I found out I was pg. I felt really good even though I'm just doing the quickie premixed. Hopefully little guy takes a good nap so I can workout today.

My son also had the "baby radar"....it was incredibly frustrating and kind of a shock to a first time mom that I couldn't just do a work out. And I needed to, badly, for both my mental and physical well being. I remember putting him down, he was out for the count, turning on the monitor and 15 minutes later as I was happilly stepping away he would wake up, it never seemed to fail. Finally I stopped trying to squeeeze the workout in during the day, and took 45 min - 1 hour to myself when my husband got home to get my workout and a shower in, uninterruped. If you have an SO at home, I highly recommend that!!

My daughter is 11 now, but when she was a baby, I used to put her in her bouncy chair in my workout room, where she could see both me and the TV (I did Cathe workouts then too :) ). She would watch and often fall asleep part way through. The great thing about having her in the room is that if she started crying or fussing, I could quickly check if anything was wrong. I can't say that I was able to get through every single workout without having to stop early, but I was able to do at least half of them. As she got older, if she wanted to watch, she learned to sit quietly in the corner.

Stebby

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.