Can't get my stability ball fully inflated!

Golfingirl

Cathlete
Help! I can't seem to get my stability ball to fully inflate. I pump it up so that it looks full-sized, but then when I start using it, it squishes down way too much. If I lie on it, it really flattens out. I can't remember what brand of ball it is, but it came with a hand pump. Do I need a different ball, different pump, or just a different ball-inflating technique?

Thanks in advance for all suggestions!
Martha

It's confession time - my husband has to "top off" the air in the ball. He doesn't enjoy it either. A bike pump won't work but a ball pump, e.g. for basketballs or vollyballs, works much better than the itty bitty pump that comes with stability balls. Your ball is going to need to be topped off every few weeks so the extra pump is a worthwhile purchase.

Debra

Martha,

I was never able to get my ball fully inflated either. This fall, when I got my Troy Lite from fitness1st.com, I also ordered their "deluxe ball pump". It was only about $11.00, and it works great. It made a big difference for me in my ability to do some of the exercise, such as the pikes. Good luck!

I'm having trouble with mine, too. When I add the weight of a couple of dumbbells and sit on it, it really squashes down. When I complained about it, my husband pointed out that colder weather will cause it to feel less full. In warm weather, the air expands; in cold, it contracts.

Then I remembered this from my days working at a balloon bouquet place. In the summertime, people would take balloons out to their hot cars and they'd explode on their way home. We learned to compensate by not filling them as full.

Angela

>When I complained about it, my husband pointed out that colder
>weather will cause it to feel less full. In warm weather, the
>air expands; in cold, it contracts.
>
>

Ah, so the cold makes these kinds of balls shrink too!
}(

Kathryn, you devil! I've been regretting my decision to follow the guidelines and get a 65cm ball. On my belly trying to lift weights my arms are so long that I know I resemble a chimp and the work is confoundingly hard! I think I'll visit fitness1st! (Thanks for the tip!) I think my ball must be underinflated too. I just can't blow hard enough. I know, that's hard to believe!
http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/user.gif Bobbi

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.