Can you recommend a Yoga dvd?

SaraFit

Cathlete
I want to work on increasing my flexibility. And I want something relaxing. I am considering Cathe's Yoga Relax but am unsure. I have stretch max and for some reason don't really care for it; maybe it's the music I don't know. Any non Cathe yoga dvds anyone can recommend? Or would it be better to just find some relaxing music and work on some postures myself?

I've tried yoga on and off for years and hated. Finally my back pain forced me to do it. I'm not into the "mystical/meditative" aspect of yoga and most of the instructors drive me nuts. I did get Yoga Relax though love it - as much as I can love yoga. Mostly what I love is what it's done to relieve my back pain. For a while I thought I was going to have to hang up my running shoes but not any more. I'll be checking back for other recommendations though. Should probably get one more for variety.

I LOVE Bryan Kest! He has a three part series called Energize, Tone and Sweat. Energize is so relaxing with tons of stretching and basic poses. These are all Ashtanga flow, and the rhythm is part of what makes it so therapeutic, I think. Tone is a little quicker and more of a workout, but still very relaxing, and Sweat takes the poses to another level. The music is perfect, and all three are fantastic. Plus, Bryan is one of the best at what he does, and I enjoy his voice guiding me through the poses. His comments are not mystical, but about form and being conscious of the needs and limitations of your body and letting go of your ego. I swear, it's good therapy! He doesn't talk that much though. The fact that he is super hot doesn't hurt anything either!
Amazon.com: Bryan Kest Power Yoga Complete Collection: Bryan Kest, Randee St. Nicholas, Diane Isaacs, John Hopgood: Movies & TV

Last edited:
yoga dvd

I have cathe's yoga and it is not anything like the stretch max, it is a flowing yoga practice and acutally i find it well done, not too advanced and she offers modifications which are helpful if you are new to yoga, also i think baron baptists, rodney yea are also good; each offering different approaches and modifications to the moves. Yoga has helped to increase flexibility and i am not flexible, but this also has helped increase range of motion, It also helps balance and cordination and strenghth as an added bonus.

good luck with yoga

carol

I second Bryan Kest, but would also say that his tapes come from the ashtanga tradition, which is more intermediate to advanced. I have been practicing the primary series of ashtanga daily for almost seven years now and he is who I started out with. He also has audio cds on his website-- Bryan Kest's Power Yoga - Santa Monica Power Yoga, that I really like. Shiva Rea is another great yoga instructor and she has dvds where you can preprogram chapters to customize your practice. If you try Bryan and end up liking ashtanga, then I would recommend checking out David Swenson. I did teacher training with him and he is an ashtanga purist-- I learned more from him then in any of my other trainings. He has an ashtanga yoga short forms dvd, where you can choose between a 15, 30 or 45 minute practice, and he also has a primary series led dvd. I believe he also has a relaxation dvd. I am trying to remember his website, and am drawing a blank, but if you google his name it should come up. His brother Doug teaches, too, and is wonderful, but I don't believe he has come out with any dvds. I would also recommend heading to a yoga studio to check on your form and learn the asanas, and then you can practice by yourself whenever and wherever you like. Best of luck!:)

Thank you Natalie and Carol for the suggestions, I will look into them some more.

From the clip, Yoga Relax did look different to me but in the reviews some one said it reminds them of Stretch max so that's what concerned me; nice to know it is different. I will probably rent it from amazon in the next few days.

I did find Power Yoga by Jeanette Jenkins earlier today. It may be a little faster than what I had in mind but I like her voice: Jeanette Jenkins Power Yoga - YouTube Does anyone have any feedback on her dvd?

I just wanted to throw out another option. When I want to relax and de-stress, my absolute favorite yoga for that is Candlelight Yoga from the Crunch Fitness series. Despite the name, it is a well-lit set, and Sara Ivanhoe is one of the best non-pressure teachers out there. When I came home from an absolutely awful work day feeing angry and frustrated - THEN had to commute through some nasty traffic for 2+ hours - this one helped me feel much better about everything!

FWIW :)

JJ Power Yoga

I have this DVD and while I like her style, it's not one I reach for as often as my Baron Baptiste, Cathe or Bob Harper DVDs. Power Yoga does move a little faster than what you may be looking for.

Lisa

Rodney Yee

For something relaxing, I like Rodney Yee. I have Ultimate Power Yoga, which IMO is not as fast-moving or intense as TBL Weight Loss Yoga (my #1 fav) or Jillian's Yoga Meltdown. It is broken into 5 parts:

1) Power Foundation (20min)
2) Strengthening Sun Salutations (20min)
3) Sculpting Standing Poses (15min)
4) Broadening Back Bends (20min)
5) Ultimate Power Restoration (20min)
**you can chose to do each one separately. Perfect for add-on's or time constraints**

There is a beautiful beach scenery and calm music, which enhances the "relaxing" aspect. There is a voice over, so you may or may not like that.

Here is a link:
Rodney Yee's Ultimate Power Yoga - YouTube

Natasha

You have a lot of great suggestions up above, but in case you want another for added variety, I am a big fan of Shiva Rea's Daily Energy. The nice thing about this one is the format of the DVD is in a "matrix" - you can choose from two warm-ups, 7 twenty minute yoga practices which vary from total relaxation up to more vigorous practices, and then your choice of stretch/relax endings. So you really get to mix-and-match as you please - some longer workouts, or just straight-up twenty minutes which is awesome for me on a lot of days because then I can squeeze in a practice when otherwise I may not. Her voice is incredibly soothing.

I use Namaste Yoga. It was on Fit TV. Their website address is namaste.tv. I have the DVDs for their first season. Each segment is about 23 minutes long with a warm up and relaxation. It seems to work for me. They have others to choose from as well.

I LOVE Bryan Kest! He has a three part series called Energize, Tone and Sweat. Energize is so relaxing with tons of stretching and basic poses. These are all Ashtanga flow, and the rhythm is part of what makes it so therapeutic, I think. Tone is a little quicker and more of a workout, but still very relaxing, and Sweat takes the poses to another level. The music is perfect, and all three are fantastic. Plus, Bryan is one of the best at what he does, and I enjoy his voice guiding me through the poses. His comments are not mystical, but about form and being conscious of the needs and limitations of your body and letting go of your ego. I swear, it's good therapy! He doesn't talk that much though. The fact that he is super hot doesn't hurt anything either!
Amazon.com: Bryan Kest Power Yoga Complete Collection: Bryan Kest, Randee St. Nicholas, Diane Isaacs, John Hopgood: Movies & TV
Ooh, he is hot. I might have to purchase this just to have a hot guy to look at (and turn him off when I'm done with him. Ha! Ha!). I've been looking for some different yoga lately. Thanks for the suggestion!

Ooh, he is hot. I might have to purchase this just to have a hot guy to look at (and turn him off when I'm done with him. Ha! Ha!). I've been looking for some different yoga lately. Thanks for the suggestion!

Hubba, hubba! You should see how he guides some of his students through their poses...WOW. Soft and nurturing and, well, just incredibly hot stuff. Sigh...

nkhansen1 said:
Hubba, hubba! You should see how he guides some of his students through their poses...WOW. Soft and nurturing and, well, just incredibly hot stuff. Sigh...

Lol thats funny.... both of u. And i have Not heard anyone but my mother repeatting my grandma, say hubba hubba! To cute!
ok now I got to go look.....and possibly will NEED to purchase. Hum for the yoga of course! Teehee :))

Lol thats funny.... both of u. And i have Not heard anyone but my mother repeatting my grandma, say hubba hubba! To cute!
ok now I got to go look.....and possibly will NEED to purchase. Hum for the yoga of course! Teehee :))
I found several videos on Youtube for Bryan Kest. Wait until you hear his voice - too sexy.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.