Can we talk favorite cakes?

Havingfun

Cathlete
Hi all,

It's my job to bring a cake to the Christmas holiday get together. I'm tired of the same old ones we always have and I'm looking for a new idea. It doesn't have to be clean (what cake really is?).

Does anyone have an all time favorite that they would like to share?

Tracy

Heck yes we can talk cakes!

Cake is my favorite food. Here's one that's scratch-made but simple, kind of old-school Southern. It would be lovely to have it this time of year. It always turns out BEAUTIFULLY for me. And everyone goes bonkers for the caramel sauce...

Caramel Apple Cake

You’ll Need:

1 1/3 cups vegetable oil

3 cups all-purpose flour

1 tablespoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

2 cups sugar

3 large eggs

3 to 4 Granny Smith apples, cored and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (3 cups) – Do Not Peel!!

1 cup chopped assorted nuts, such as pecans and walnuts (optional)

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Nonstick cooking spray with flour

1. Preheat oven to 350°. Spray a 12-cup bundt pan with cooking spray

2. Working over a large sheet of parchment paper, sift together flour, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt; gather sifted ingredients into center of sheet; set aside.

3. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine vegetable oil, sugar, and eggs; mix on high speed until lemon yellow.

4. Fold reserved parchment in half lengthwise; with mixer on medium speed, gradually shake in dry ingredients until just incorporated.

5. Add apples and, if desired, nuts, to batter; mix to combine. Add vanilla, mixing until incorporated.

6. Pour batter into prepared pan, and bake until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean, 75 to 90 minutes.

7. Remove from oven, and cool slightly on a wire rack.

8. Invert cake onto rack; turn cake right-side up to cool completely on rack, and serve drizzled with caramel sauce

Caramel Sauce

Makes enough for 1 cake

1 cup light-brown sugar

1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter

1/4 cup evaporated milk

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Pinch of salt

1. Combine ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Cook, stirring, until thickened to desired consistency (Like melted caramel…)

Cool the cake and pour the warm sauce over it. Serve with ice cream. You can also make the sauce in advance, and keep it in a container in the fridge until you need it, then gently re-heat it on the stove when it's time to serve the cake.

Enjoy!

Lisa

better than sex cake!!!

cant post the recipe right now - nursing baby - bbl....

that caramel apple cake sounds wonderful!

I am almost embarrassed to admit this, but my best bundt cake EVER come from a mix. Go get Devil's Food by Duncan Hines. On the side of the box is a recipe for a bundt cake, it uses pudding mix and turns out so incredible, no one has ever guessed it came from a box.

I bake it in a festive bundt pan, and after it cools, sprinkle powdered sugar over the top! Easy and easy gets.

I mostly eat chocolate cake, the more frosting the better. Down here, Red Velvet Cake is pretty popular. You can Google a recipe. It's a red cake with some kind of white frosting. My mother loves them. Seriously, she would happily murder me, her only daughter, for just a bite of one. :D

does it have to be cake?
family and work fav

Polka Dot Brownies

mix 1 c softened butter,1/2 c sugar,1/2 c light brown sugar,1 tsp vanilla,1 Tablsp water,and 2 egg yolks

in a separate bowl fluff with a fork 2 c flour,1/4 t salt,1 t bp,1/4 t bs

mix everything together and press into a greased 9x13 pan.sprinkle with chocolate chips about 1 cup.press down.

beat 2 egg whites til stiff.gradually add 1 c light brown sugar while beating.spread over chips.sprinkle more on top for decore. bake 350 30-35 minutes.meringue should be golden

laura

Funfetti!!!

No one can resist the fun!

Pillsberry funfetti mix, sub applesauce for the oil and use 4 egg whites instead of yolks for a "healther" verison that will not dissappoint!

Cream cheese vanilly frosting with the tiny little sugar cookie sprinkles yum!

My absolute favourite!

And cook them baout 2 mins less than recommended for a fully moist version that you don't need to choke down with some milk :)

I actually got carried away with my last batch the other day and put a TB of flax seeds and a TB of fiber sprinkle on it hee.. couldn't even tell.

thanks

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm going to put some options before the familiy and let them choose.

Happy Holidays!

Tracy

Waldorf Hotel Red Cake. Teh best cake ever!

6449927_bodyshot_175x233.gif

better than sex cake!!!

cant post the recipe right now - nursing baby - bbl....

that caramel apple cake sounds wonderful!

I agree!

I have a simple recipe to follow. Note: I use Devil's food cake and modify the box cake mix by adding a box of chocolate pudding mix

Serves/Yields: 1 - 9x13 inch cake. (24 servings)
Prep. Time:
Cook Time:
Category: Chocolate Cakes
Difficulty: easy

title_introduction.gif
Isn't this a great cake?!
title_ingredients.gif

1 (18.25 ounce) package German chocolate cake mix
1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
2 cups hot fudge topping
1 (12 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
4 (1.4 ounce) bars chocolate covered English toffee
title_directions.gif
1 Bake German chocolate cake mix according to package directions.
2 While cake is still very warm poke holes in top of cake with the end of a wooden spoon, poor sweetened condensed milk over top. Let cake cool. Pour hot fudge topping over top of cake and let set. Spread on whipped topping and garnish with crushed Heath ™ Bars (toffee crumbles).

I use Mrs. Richardsons Carmel in the Better than Sex cake instead of chocolate sauce...it is YUMMMY!
I think the recipe is on the Duncan Hines German Choc cake box...as Better than ANYTHING cake!

cynthia & shelsmaha,
i put down the fudge sauce then the caramel on top of it - oh my!!!:D:eek:

i havent had this cake in years!!! now i want a piece!
maybe i should just have sex???:confused: nah, i'll have some cake!:eek::D

cynthia & shelsmaha,
i put down the fudge sauce then the caramel on top of it - oh my!!!:D:eek:

i havent had this cake in years!!! now i want a piece!
maybe i should just have sex???:confused: nah, i'll have some cake!:eek::D

Now, I'm going to have to make this cake for the holidays. I'm too busy for sex:p:p
I LOVE Mrs. Richardson's caramel sauce! I use that brand of fudge. I'll try both on the cake.

Sopapilla Cheesecake

This is really a really really good mexican version of cheesecake!! YUMMY! If you google this, you can find lots of recipes for this. There are even some that are low calorie/low fat too!

You can use lowfat or fat free cream cheese and you can use baking splenda instead of regular sugar. And, instead of regular butter, you can use PAM butter spray to cut some calories and fat. Another idea is to use lowfat crescent rolls instead of the regular kind. REAlly good!

Recipe makes 12 servings

Ingredients
2 (8 ounce) packages cream cheese
2 (8 ounce) packages refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or almond extract
1/2 cup margarine or butter, melted
1/2 cup cinnamon sugar
Directions
1Using a 9 x 13 baking pan, unroll one package of refrigerated crescent rolls and line the bottom of the pan.
2Flatten.
3Mix together the cream cheese, sugar and extract.
4Spread over the crescent rolls.
5Unroll the other can of crescent rolls and place on top of cream cheese mixture.
6Pour one stick of melted butter or margarine over the top and sprinkle with about 1/2 cup of the cinnamon sugar mixture.
7Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

It's really good!
take care :)
Gloria

Now, I'm going to have to make this cake for the holidays. I'm too busy for sex:p:p
I LOVE Mrs. Richardson's caramel sauce! I use that brand of fudge. I'll try both on the cake.

You mean to tell me there is something better than cake??? :eek:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.