Can I brag? :)

Thanks Debbie! I live in Ludington Michigan. It's in Northern/Western Michigan right on Lake Michigan. We have a lot of tourists during the summer (but it's not overwhelming or annoying). I've been neglecting my at-home workouts because I'm spending my free time taking advantage of the nice weather and the beautiful beaches and parks. I've been to lots of beaches, and our beaches are nicer than I've ever seen anywhere (except the Caribbean)--smooth "sugar" sand and clear fresh-water.

I guess I'm doing my part to promote Michigan!

Amy
Very pretty. Look out over the lake and way to the south. Can you see me waving at you?

Hey Michele and all y'all ladies--come on over and party at the beach!

*waives at Dawn in a South-Westerly fashion*...Dawn I'm so bad at geography--are you in Chicago?

Amy

Nice! I grew up in Farmington, MI (until I was 10). My sister turned 50 this year and where did she choose to go to celebrate? Hawaii? No..... Europe? No.... the Carribean? No..... MICHIGAN! (you knew that was coming). They went to Mackinac Island, Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes, and those types of places. Had a great time, apparently.

Enjoy that beach.....

-Beth

Thanks Beth! I've heard that Mackinac Island is amazing. I saw pics of the grand hotel. If DH ever stops working like a maniac, maybe we'll plan a trip there this summer.

Oh, and I've heard of Farmington but have no idea where it is. :)

Amy

How amazing! We live in RI and it's nowhere near warm enough for the beach yet, much less, entering the water without at least a 5 mm full length wetsuit on!

Beautiful! Enjoy it!

Tricia

Well, I chickened out last night Tricia. No dip for me. I'm having a hard time believing it will be warm enough after that crazy winter and cold spring.

Maybe this weekend though...

Amy

Amy, Farmington is in metro Detroit. It's a suburb on the western side.

Mackinac Island is beautiful, we used to go there every summer when I was a kid. It's very crowded, though, and touristy. I would go after Labor Day, if possible. It's much less crowded, but the weather is usually still nice for at least 2 or 3 weeks.

On your side of the state, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore and around Traverse City is amazing. Very beautiful, lush landscape and lots of water and sand. Inland lakes, bays, rivers, forests, lighthouses, all kinds of stuff. I can't say enough good things about it. And not too far from you!

http://www.nps.gov/slbe/

anne

Amy, Farmington is in metro Detroit. It's a suburb on the western side.

Mackinac Island is beautiful, we used to go there every summer when I was a kid. It's very crowded, though, and touristy. I would go after Labor Day, if possible. It's much less crowded, but the weather is usually still nice for at least 2 or 3 weeks.

On your side of the state, Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore and around Traverse City is amazing. Very beautiful, lush landscape and lots of water and sand. Inland lakes, bays, rivers, forests, lighthouses, all kinds of stuff. I can't say enough good things about it. And not too far from you!

http://www.nps.gov/slbe/

anne

We've been to Traverse City several times and it is truly gorgeous. Love the Food Co-op there. Haven't seen the Sleeping Bear Dunes yet, but we have hiked in some of the State Parks around us (Ludington and Manistee) and the dunes are so impressive! I'm amazed at all the natural beauty all around us, and I had NO idea before moving here 2 yrs ago that it existed. I think that's the case for many non-Michiganders.

We also need to plan some visits to the Detroit area and to Ann Arbor. We've been to Muskegon and Grand Rapids a lot. Like I said, we love the nature around us, but shopping and city life is fun too!

Amy

Hey Michele and all y'all ladies--come on over and party at the beach!

*waives at Dawn in a South-Westerly fashion*...Dawn I'm so bad at geography--are you in Chicago?

Amy
You're not as bad as you think! You're just looking a little too far south. I'm just south of Milwaukee, but I'll be heading further North in a few days (vaca).

We tried to find a place in Ludington for our summer vacation this year-everything was already booked:( We're going to Muskegon instead-beachfront house:) I have a very vivid memory of Ludington from when I was a little girl-we went there on a day trip with my mom and when she was rolling up my pants for a walk on the beach, my brother accidentally closed the car door on my fingers-I was holding on to the door jamb! Good times!

How lucky are we to live in such a beautiful state?!

I grew up in the Grand Rapids and Detroit suburbs. I moved away in 2004, and I miss it so much. Anytime I go back to visit, I'm so sad that I don't live there anymore. I've been almost everywhere in the state. As soon as I got my drivers license, my friends and I would go on road trips all over MI.

It's interesting that a lot of people who have never been there think that the entire state looks like Detroit.

Since DH is active-duty, it's unlikely that I'll ever live there again. I'd love to have a retirement home in Traverse City, but that's about 30 years from now.

Amy, if you decide to plan a trip to Detroit or Ann Arbor, just shoot me a PM and I'll give you lots of good places to go/things to see. Kgalas can help, too, she lives over that way. I was in Ann Arbor twice this week. It's the Ann Arbor Summer Festival:

http://www.annarborsummerfestival.org/

I was born and raised here. I've lived other places, but I always end up back in MI.

anne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.