Can anyone recomend a good fiber supplement

I was going to add that I SUFFERED for most of my life, regardless of how much fiber, fruit, veggie or otherwise, that I ate.

I finally found that taking a systemic enzyme + a GREAT quality probiotic on an empty stomach every morning changed my entire life. The type of probiotic that works for you is simply going to require research and experimentation. I don't go for cheap ones, though, as it's one of the most important things I take.

At first, I took one of each in the middle of the night, then first thing in the morning, then again during the day. Eventually, I've been able to cut it down to once a day and I'm good.

Of course, now I eat tremendous amounts of fruit and veggie all day, so that has made things better, too.

I have been hearing a lot about chia seeds and was actually holding them in my hand at the store the other day, but was not quite sure how to use them. So basically just sprinkle into smoothies or onto yogurt? Other ideas?

Here is a great link for ideas on how to use them: 40 Ways to use Chia Seeds

I have used them in my smoothies which I usually drink after my workouts. I often mix kefir, coconut milk or almond milk with pomegranate juice, bananas, frozen blueberries and a scoop of whey protein then put a tablespoon of chia seeds and blend. The seeds absorb a lot of water and become sort of gel like if you let it sit a few minutes. I've also used them in my yogurt and granola that I often eat for lunch and I've used them in the batter for french toast. I've also heard you can make a sort of jam with them (since they gel with water) where you crush strawberries with them and a little water and sugar. HTH! :)

I also wanted to vouch for a good probiotic. Sometimes you have to try a few kinds to see what works for you but they do help!

I was going to add that I SUFFERED for most of my life, regardless of how much fiber, fruit, veggie or otherwise, that I ate.

I finally found that taking a systemic enzyme + a GREAT quality probiotic on an empty stomach every morning changed my entire life. The type of probiotic that works for you is simply going to require research and experimentation. I don't go for cheap ones, though, as it's one of the most important things I take.

At first, I took one of each in the middle of the night, then first thing in the morning, then again during the day. Eventually, I've been able to cut it down to once a day and I'm good.

Of course, now I eat tremendous amounts of fruit and veggie all day, so that has made things better, too.

Fidget, what kind of enzymes do you take? Someone else suggested them to me as well, but the brand she suggested is only sold in the UK.

I just started taking probiotics last week & they are helping. I'm a big label reader & regardless of brand/price, they all seemed to have the same main ingredient (1 billion units of some kind of bacteria). My problem is not just my diet (Atkins, no fruits allowed other than veggies), but also that on occasion I suffer from sever IBS, AKA colitis. So I'm trying to find some decent, non-invasive, natural supplements that'll help & give me some relief. It can be extremely uncomfortable & at time embarassing, if you know what I mean. :eek:

I take an awful lot of vitamin supplements b/c of Atkins, & thought that taking fiber supplements would be the best way to replace the fiber I'm missing w/the diet, but man oh man, the fiber supplements are too often, too big, too much for me to take. The probiotics have been pretty good, & I'm def. interested in more info on the enzymes. Thanks!

There are probiotics out there that have more than 1 billion units of the bacteria. The one I've been using has 10B of a single strain. The higher the number, the better. I read an article that likened taking 1B or less to "putting out a fire with a squirt gun".

Shelbygirl

i use Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein Hi-Fiber. i put it in my post-workout drink. a serving has 12 g fiber, 11g protein & 80 kcals.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.