Calories Burned

ruthie33

Cathlete
Hi Cathe & Fans,

Just wondering if you could give me a rough idea of the amount of calories burned during step aerobics. I know it depends on the level and intensity and which DVD and all of that. It doesn't need to be exact, just rough. I did find something that told me about 7.5 calories per minute for a 6" step height and 8.5 cal oer minute for an 8" step height. Based on that scenario, I did Low Impact Step the other night. 40 minutes x 7.5 = 300 calories. Would that be about right?

Perfect!! That is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I'm a little confused at to the MET value thing, I'll have to do some digging. More so on my treadmill / eliptical machines as they record calories burned and it's way off from what WM says. But it's a guideline, none the less.

I'm a little confused at to the MET value thing, I'll have to do some digging. More so on my treadmill / eliptical machines as they record calories burned and it's way off from what WM says. But it's a guideline, none the less.

I read somewhere that the calorie counts on cardio machines can be up to 30% over the actual calorie burn, even if you enter your weight and age into the machine when you start your workout! Do you have a heart rate monitor? I find the calories burned on my HRM to be closer to reality--but even then I have read grumblings about how those aren't perfect either! :confused: In the end I figure they are all ballpark figures and just focus on having a good workout and not the calories burned.

I read somewhere that the calorie counts on cardio machines can be up to 30% over the actual calorie burn, even if you enter your weight and age into the machine when you start your workout! Do you have a heart rate monitor? I find the calories burned on my HRM to be closer to reality--but even then I have read grumblings about how those aren't perfect either! :confused: In the end I figure they are all ballpark figures and just focus on having a good workout and not the calories burned.

I've heard the same thing about the machines.

cathe did a really interesting article about calculating cal. burn in our w/o and daily activities. she said wm doesnt include what you would already burn if you were completely sedentary. which makes sense. to lose wt you need to move more than before or increase the intensity.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.