Calorie Burn With Shock Cardio

fitme40

Cathlete
Hi All,
Just curious for those of you with GWFs and HRMs, what kind of numbers have you been getting for the new shock cardios? I just did MMA Boxing and only burned 127 cals according to my new Polar HRM. I really think the arm movement thing during kickbox workouts really skews the numbers that I was getting on my GWF. I consider myself very fit, but 127 cals...that seems really low. The HRM really has opened my eyes to the amount of calories I'm really burning-not nearly as many as I thought with my GWF.

Thanks,
Laura

I did the 34 minute premix from Cardio Core Circuit. My GWF said I burned 135 calories compared to 196 cals on my Polar HRM. My HRM overestimates calorie burn around 20-30% in general.

I haven't tried these workouts yet, but I find my GWF always registers a lower calorie burn than my polar HRM. Even with kickboxing workouts. My HRM is usually about 200 calories higher.

Calories Burned

My GWF registers 137 for the 30/30 HIT, 271 for Cardio Core Circuit, 120 for Pyramid HIT and 264 for Muscle Max (not a Shock Cardio workout). I just started recording calories burned per Cathe workout, I've monitored it with my GWF for about a year, but just started recording it on my iphone w/the free application Lose It. Also recording calories with the Lose It app - a bit discouraging to see how many calories are in something and how hard I have to work to burn it off.

I did HiiT 40/20 yesterday for the first time and only burned 198 cal!:confused: I had to modify the jumps on the step (I did them on the floor). I have back problems. I think if you give it all you can, you will see a higher cal burn. I did like the workout, it was fun and short;)

GWF stands for Go Wear Fit (now called Body Media), it is a band you wear on your arm and it monitors your calories burned. It also monitors your sleep duration and efficiency - I only take it off to shower.

GWF stands for Go Wear Fit (now called Body Media), it is a band you wear on your arm and it monitors your calories burned. It also monitors your sleep duration and efficiency - I only take it off to shower.

Thanks for the info! I will google it! Where did you buy yours from?

CCC cal burn

I just did this vid for the first time (and let me say OMG!!) and my Polar F6 said 598 cals. (Yes, it's set up properly. I think I just have a high metabolism.) I did have to do some of the core mods b/c I had my spine fused a few months ago and I also took a few 20-sec breaks so total w/o time was around 60 min instead of the published 51 min.

WOW! Except for Julia, all those calorie burns seem REALLY low!
I use an HRM. A polar f4. I used to have a GWF and it said my calorie burns were ridiculously high. I have no faith in GWF or bodybuggs. Mine said I was burning 3300 cals per day.
Anyhow, I noticed that my HRM and Cathe's workout mangaer were VERY close for cardio workouts for me. The strength workouts not so much.
I burn around 300 cals for MMA boxing. I consider myself very fit also... I also have a very low resting heart rate.

remember that you continue to burn kcals after you workout...especially if you have a good ms:fat ratio, so point being don't get too hung up on the kcals in the workout. also remember that the more fit you get, you will be more efficient at that exercise mode so you WILL burn less kcals. all the more reason to keep the Hiit workouts in your weekly regimen.

I use a Polar HRM and found it interesting that during 40/20, my HR was pretty steady among all the drills except for the tuck jumps, 10 bpms higher for that one!!

I was thinking the same thing that those numbers seem really low. When I do cathe videos I usually burn 300 calories in 30 min. For 60 min videos its usually around 500-600 calories. My average heart rate is 150's and my max is around 185-190. Maybe your not getting your heart rate up high enough.

My Gwoof always calculates too high for kickboxing and other Cathe workouts, as well as running. It always calculates too low for strength workouts. It's never right, except for the step counter- it's really good at that!

Check out the Workout Manager for calories burned

If check out the workout manager/calendar/add a workout, if you select DVD and pick which one, including any premix, it will tell you how many calories you will burn for each workout. Its really cool!

It's actually fairly accurate as well. I've gauged it against my HRM. For me, the cardio workouts are usually within a few calories, but the strength workouts (for me) are always way over. Depends I guess... but you can also change the MET value to change the intensity of the workout.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.