Calling All Fashionistas!!

sparrow

Cathlete
I have an upcoming fashion emergency, sort of. Have just received an invite to the wedding of a good friend of mine and his wonderful fiancee. It will be an evening wedding, high-end and I am sure in excellent taste.

So, here's my dilemma. Normally I would just find a cute dress, but this is a friend from my days working for Disney in NY; there will be other people at the wedding I know from those days, people who remember me as FAT, possibly including an ex-boyfriend who dumped me TWICE!! So, I want to look *killer.* I really love the way my arms look and want to show them off. Now despite having spent the entire summer in faded jeans, vintage tees and a cowboy hat I do once in a while have some sense of how to dress. However this is not one of those times. Is it totally hideous to wear sleeveless in February?! How about with a shawl or something? Also, what about shoes? I loathe high heels and pantyhose. Any alternatives? I was thinking maybe fishnets and slouch boots? KIDDING!!

TIA ladies. If this all makes me sound incredibly shallow it's because I am :p

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

Okay, get really cute dress pants and a matching, tight fitted blazer. Under the blazer get a cami (spaghetti string tank top). If you get hot, you can take the blazer off. Oh, heels would be appropriate for the occasion as well. I know, but it is only one night for a few hours!!!!

Good Luck!!

Sara
http://www.picturetrail.com/saraburnham1

Sara I *love* the idea of dress pants and a blazer!! My thoughts went immediately to dresses, didn't even consider pants. That's great, I think I will pursue that option...

And I think I can do heels if I don't have to do pantyhose....

Thanks!

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

Sparrow,
I absolutely love, love, love Ann Taylor Loft. They have really well-made clothes that are classy. You could go with one of their black wrap dresses with tall black/high heeled boots, then dress it up with trendy earrings/necklace. They have some great jackets, camis, skirts, pants too. Check out their website for some suggestions.
I am clueless when it comes to fashion, and I always get tons of compliments on the clothes I have gotten there. If you have an Ann Taylor Loft store near you, you will find that they have wonderful service (and sometimes have great sales/coupons). Good luck!
-Jen

I do the spray tan thing and avoid the hose.

High heels do elongate the legs so if anything invest in a good pair and then carry along in tote a pair of comfy shoes for later on. (I bought a pair of pricy heeled shoes at Neimans a few years back and since then I only wear them to weddings. Everytime I wear them I get compliments but I also carry flats in the car and after a while I change. After a few drinks and chatting, changing into flats - no one notices!)

Trousers are okay but if you got some leg than show it - esp if the ex is going to be there.

You can go nuts trying to decide. Go to various stores and try on various outfits. Sometimes what you think or 'know' you cannot wear - looks great!

As for the heels - buy a good pair - no cheapies! However the flats for later dont matter.

Smile smile smile, laugh laugh laugh and be your charming fun self that everyone just adores!

Hey Sparrow,

How exciting! A formal,evening wedding offers plenty of opportunity for showing off beautiful,well developed arms.IF you do dare to go "Bare up there" just remember to keep the dress or skirt length at or below knee level.A gorgeous wrap of some sort would be great for warmth as well.Now if you wanna be a lil'sassy,the sexy tuxedo outfit sounds pretty hot and a bit more edgy and modern as well.Just remember fit is everything and quality fabric.Do not be afraid to play with accessories(pick one focus piece such as shoes,or handbag or necklace,or broche.Keep the hair a little less purposeful and a little undone looking.Make focus on either eyes or lips.Which ever you think has more to offer in accompanying your look.I see smouldering eyes with tux and a beautiful classic rich lip with dress.Now I bet your arms are not the only thing worth showing off .What about showing off a strong defined back.Unexpected and really sexy!!}( Also,when it comes down to it,who cares what they think.Do it all for fun ,because you deserve it.That is just MHO

Cynthia:D

I agree with everyone that stapless is appropriate in February. I think the tuxedo outfit is hot...but the dress is smokin'!!!!!!!!!! Keep us informed as to what you decide. Good luck:D I'm really excited for you. Especially since you're going to knock everyone's socks off.}( Oh, yeah...I want to know how the whole evening goes.

Hey Sparrow! Halter dresses are great for showing off all your hard work and don't look as summer-y as strapless. have fun strutin' your stuff!

jes}(

Nancy,

What an awesome pick you came up with! I was so impressed with that outfit - that would knock anyone's socks off! WOWZEE!!!

Cheryl

And if you do go for this option, please wear some colour with it; black on black on unremitting black can be relentless and this is a wedding after all! Get a jewel coloured sleeveless silk/velvet/sequinned camisole or top to wear under the jacket, which will come off as the events liven up.

And, please try to do heels, they will make this outfit pop whereas flats will not make it anything special. It is possible to get high heels (no more than 3 inches) that are comfortable. And yes, go the self tanner route so you can say adios to pantyhose!

Clare

I don't enjoy wearing high heels either, but for a dressy occasion, I make the sacrifice. Sure, they all hurt eventually, but I've found some that don't start to hurt until it's time to go home. These occasions are usually no more than 5 hours, and it's really worth it for the way they make you look. ;) }(
-Nancy

OK OK, I'll wear heels. :p

That dress is gorgeous but I have to say I don't think it will look like that on me!! I'm in shape but am muscular and short and busty, not willowy at all. I think the dress probably wouldn't flow well on me. Seriously, think Shetland pony, not gazelle :p

Thanks for the suggestions. Shelley, I think I could pull that pants outfit off.

Sparrow

Thanks, Sara. My eyes practically popped out of my head when I saw that dress. It must be so great to have nice arms! Coming from someone who has wimpy shoulders and arms, Sparrow, show those guns girl! Especially to that old boyfriend. Ah, revenge is sweet....}( }( }(
-Nancy

Wow.. that is one amazing dress! Nancy -- hmm can I ask you for fashion tips ;)

Sparrow you have to get that dress... WOW

Robyn,
Sparrow is right, though. You really need to dress for your body type. I'm not too good at choosing stuff for myself, but love to do it for others, so, sure, let's shop!! :D
-Nancy

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.