Calling All Fashionistas!!

A good black dress is perfect for almost any occasion. If you get the right style you can dress it down & wear it to work or accessorize it & wear it to a formal occasion.

I would recommend a sleeveless sheath dress, maybe in silk. They're so versatile--you could use it for job interviews w/a jacket, or a formal wedding w/some diamonds or other fancy jewelry.

I think hose are optional depending on where you live--I'd freeze my bony rear end off if I went w/o hose in Feb, but it's pretty cold in NJ that time of year.

And I would definitely go for high heels, but that's just me--I'm short & high heels are a staple for me.

Shelley, that dress is YOU. With your fabulous arms, you would look dynamite in it!! I think you need to get it.
-Nancy

I think you should go to an upscale department store and take advantage of the in-house stylist/personal shopper. This is a free service I believe, and everyone I know of who has taken advantage of it has been thrilled. If you're anything like me, you're great at dressing everybody but yourself.

I'm a HUGE fan of winter white pants. Ann Taylor had some stunning ones last year - they are one of my favorite purchases. Winter white trousers, with a sparkly formal tank top kind of thing (either bronzy colored, or black), would look fabulous! And you can *absolutely* wear sleeveless in the winter!!!!! Don't be afraid to show off those arms of yours! I'd go looking for tops in the formal department of a large department store - you can find some beautiful things there. Either sleeveless, or sheer sleeves, if you really feel you need a sleeve.

And of course, all black is a safe way to go as well. Hose are also definitely not required - I think they are even "out" these days, especially for evening wear. If you still hate high heels, even without hose, try a kitten heel - they still look really very nice, but are only 1" high.

m.

I love the dress picked out but of course you do have to feel comfortable in it and it needs to fit your body type.

I'm all for the tuxedo suit with a top/camisole with a low cut back underneath it. This way later...you can take the jacket off...and just give one more "WOW" factor.

Heels....a MUST
Pantyhose....NEVER

Chunky jewelry to match the ensemble...smoky eyes...pale pink lips....loose hair.

Diva,
I agree with the make-up suggestions, but remember: only wear chunky jewlelry if you're big-boned. Hey, I don't watch WNTW for nothin' you know. ;)
-Nancy

I love the dress Nancy posted. It is something that would make you look really hot AND last a lifetime! I would get something like that with a really wonderful wrap. I went to a wedding last March and every woman there was sleeveless, but we all had wraps. So I don't think there's anything wrong with that approach.

I was going to make a shoe suggestion - I always buy BCBG brand heels. They are not cheap (I think I paid $90 for my last pair) BUT they are the most comfortable, stylish shoes I wear. You can get them in most department stores, or check out www.shoes.com. (Personally, I don't like to buy dress shoes online because I think they all fit so differently, but maybe you can find them in a store and get them online for a better price.)

Good luck! I hope you knock the ex- out flat! (Well, not literally.) }( }(

Marie
Oh, and if that isn't motivation for sticking to a rotation, I don't know what is! :7

Marie,
I think that dress would look good on a variety of different body types, however I think the neckline is particularly good for busty folk, as Sparrow says she is. I also think it's good for short-waisted people like me because it makes the waist look longer. Additionally, it's perfect for anyone with a tummy issue because of the rauching (or however you spell it.) I am one of the few who could not wear it, because I refuse to show my (ugly) back. But I really do think it would look great on most women.
-Nancy

Great dress, Nancy! I like the ATL pants suit too. I think sleeveless would be fine - you could always wear a wrap. I bought a pale pink cashmere wrap from Nordstroms that looks great with anything black, and it's warm when you need it.

Not to hijack this thread, but the Y where I work has an annual black-tie gala in June that I help run. This year's theme is "Hidden Treasure" (pirate) and the dress is creative black tie. DH is probably going to tear up an old tux he's had since he was 20 and go as a castaway. I'm thinking about wearing something formal that would give a nod to the theme. I was actually thinking of wearing a sleek gown and but drawing a pirate mustache/upside down triangle beard on my face! If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.