Calgon...take me away!

Lee Jones

Cathlete
I really need help understanding this. I know everyone says it's so easy, but my little brain is just not picking up on this. I'm still in Meso 1, just finished disc #6. But I notice that now we went from 60% 1rm to 65% 1rm. I don't understand the increase. Am I supposed to go heavier in weights? I'm already using pretty heavy weights and with my little body, the next increment for most weights are 3 to 5 pounds...and that's alot!

Also, when she does drop sets and decreases by 20%....how much is she decreasing by? In all my past Cathe videos, I always used her weights as a guide for me. If she was using 40 lbs for squats, I knew to go to about 30 lbs. So I feel like I lost my guide since now she never says what weight she's using.

I hope I'm not sounding nuts here...lol. Anyway...I'm trying to get through this confusion. I'm still foraging on though and not letting any of it mess with me.

Did you do your 1rm? Yes you are supposed to go up in weight but the weight that is right for you. If you did your 1rm and you printed out your workout card it will tell you how much to lift.

Hope this helps.

This post is exactly what is keeping me from doing STS. It's just so overwhelming to me. Will the w/o cards tell me what 65% of my 1RM is as well as what a decrease by 20% is (for the drop sets)? There's just so much work involved with this series and soooo much prep time. :(

Yes, if you do your 1RM testing, the cards tell you exactly what weight to use. The hardest part, probably, is having correct weight increments (33 pound dumb bells, for instance) -- but even that, you can figure it out with hand weights or go slightly lower.

STS and 1rm

STS was designed to be beneficial to you based on the amount of weight you can lift. So, by taking the time to figure the 1rm's the workout cards will calculate the weight percentages for you. I printed mine out and put them in a binder. I keep a pencil in the binder to write in the weights I actually used because I believe there were many people who said their percentages were off. Which is ok, because it gives you a baseline to start from. That's why I did the 6-month rotation, so I could figure it all out the first week and nail in on the second week.

Otherwise, if you still intend not to do the 1rm's, you would have to choose a weight based on your personal experience.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.