Calcium and fat burning - interesting article

midnight

Cathlete
Actually, this is from an article about achieving permanent weight loss. Everything else we've all heard before over and over again but this was something new (at least for me):

"A U. of Tennessee study found that dieters who got adequate calcium - 1,200 - 1,600 mg from dairy foods - lost 11% of total body weight ovr six months. The study's researchers concluded that dieters who ate high-calcium foods can lose up to 70% more weight than dieters who don't get adequate calcium.

When you don't get enough calcium in your diet, a hormone called calcitrol is released. Calcitrol makes fat cells fatter so you gain more weight.

Calcium supplements don't work as well as dairy foods when it comes to weight loss. Dairy products contain a number of compounds that exert a much stronger effect on fat cells than supplements do. Yogurt is an excellent calcium-rich food - one cup of plain or vanilla yogurt has 490 mg of calcium. Other good sources of calcium include milk (390 mg per cup) and cottage cheese (150 mg per cup)."

I guess this is why some of the yogurt companies have put "aids in fat burning" on their labels.

Got milk? :9 (Actually, I hate it)
--Lois

Oops, need to credit my source - Bottom Line Personal, vol. 26, #11

hi ya'll-
just wanted to chime in here...I can't let this one pass. I've recently read the most amazing book that carried with it some interesting ideas and actually backed them up with some good evidence. I'll try to sum up some ideas he presented regarding cow milk and animal protein.

Americans consume more cow milk and cow "products" than most other populations in the WORLD!! But, they have the highest rates of hip fractures. The only other countries with higher rates are Europe, Australia and New Zealand. And they consume more than us!!
The author then goes on to say that hip fractures are an indicator of osteroporosis. So naturally health policy people unknowingly recommend higher amounts of calcium intake to people with this problem. He then explains that there is a high correlation between consuming animal protein and bone fractures.
It seems that researchers at Yale university's School of Medicine found in a peer-reviewed study that 70% of the fracture rate (from 34 seperate surveys in 16 countries) were a result of animal protein consumption.

"these researchere explained that animal protein, unlike plant protein, increases the acid load in the body. An increased acid load means that out blood and tissues become more acidic. The body does not like this acidic enviroment and begins to fight it. In order to neutralize the calcium, which acts as a very effective base. This calcium, however must come from somewhere. It ends up being pulled from the bones, and the calcium loss weakens them, putting them at greater risk for fracture."

I know this is very long, but I was amazed at the findings!! I wondered why, if this were true, would out government and heath officials tell us that this stuff is good for us???? Well, I think all we need to do is consider the beef and dairy industry. They are extremly rich with a great many "friends" in government.
Anyway, the book is called The China Study. Juat wondering if anyone else had read this.
thanks ya'll
:) carolyn

I guess I can't let this pass, either........

>It seems that researchers at Yale university's School of
>Medicine found in a peer-reviewed study that 70% of the
>fracture rate (from 34 seperate surveys in 16 countries) were
>a result of animal protein consumption.

This doesn't make sense to me. Does that mean that the other 30% were vegetarians???????
>
>"these researchere explained that animal protein, unlike plant
>protein, increases the acid load in the body. An increased
>acid load means that out blood and tissues become more acidic.
>The body does not like this acidic enviroment and begins to
>fight it. In order to neutralize the calcium, which acts as a
>very effective base. This calcium, however must come from
>somewhere. It ends up being pulled from the bones, and the
>calcium loss weakens them, putting them at greater risk for
>fracture."

"It is known that high protein intake increases the calcium requirement. However, the association between protein and osteoporotic bone fractures in individuals has not been fully explored.

Reduced protein intake has been linked to low femoral neck bone density in elderly hospitalized patients. In these individuals, clinical outcomes following hip fracture were significantly enhanced when protein intake was normalized through nutritional supplementation."

(Source: National Institutes of Health, Osteoporosis and Related Bone Disease-National Resource Center)
>http://www.osteo.org/default.asp

>Well, I think all we need to do is consider the beef and dairy
>industry. They are extremly rich with a great many "friends"
>in government.

I take great offense to this statement. I grew up on a farm/ranch and my husband's family is still in the beef cattle business. These people are not "extremely rich with a great many friends in government". They work VERY hard to make a living. This includes many dairies in this area and across the country. To make a blanket statement like that displays your ignorance about the industry.

Maybe that is why I am not gaining anymore friggin' weight! I eat cottage cheese, yogurt, cheese, etc. throughout the day.

Charlotte~~

I also want to point out that you shouldn't beleive everything you read-ever; and especially in "peer-reviewed" journals. Peer-reviewed journals cover a wide spectrum of published materials in the scientific community. Some are great, and reproducible results are possible with journals like Journal of Biological Chemistry and others are not like newspapers, which some consider "peer-reviewed". I work in a lab and we see this kind of thing A LOT and it is very frustrating.

As to the study you mention: Maybe the people in other parts of the world they investigated for this study have e.g. a shorter lifespan because other living conditions are a lot worse for them then worrying about getting enough calcium like say getting enough to eat period, or access to clean water, or immunizations to curable diseases etc, before osteoporosis has a chance to develop.

I thought this was an interesting topic!

>"these researchere explained that animal protein, unlike plant
>protein, increases the acid load in the body. An increased
>acid load means that our blood and tissues become more acidic.

I would encourage you to check this out and let me know what you think.

http://www.westonaprice.org/mythstruths/mtbones.html

Here is a paragraph from the article but there's much more.

"The "acid-ash" of meat is given as the reason high meat diets cause bone loss. But meats also supply phosphorus, which counteracts this acidity. Phosphorus is needed for the phosphate component of bone matter. Meats are also excellent sources of vitamin B12, which plays a recently discovered but little understood role in maintaining the integrity of the bones.16"

>I wondered why, if this were true, would our government and
>heath officials tell us that this stuff is good for us????

Personally, they are some of the last people I'd trust(another whole subject), but I do think that you can get good calcium from the right dairy sources. I must say that I don't get any dairy products unless it's grass-fed quality or organic(just had to throw that in there---I think that's critical).

Oh, and I forgot to mention a lot of these kind of articles have a serious political agenda or are written with money from a source that poses a serious conflict of interest. Keep this in mind.

Charlotte- You want to gain weight? You look great! We should all be so lucky :) I admire your workouts and your strict clean eating habits. I myself don't really want to lose much..maybe 5-7 pounds but I sure don't want to gain.

Terri

Hey again. I'm sorry if I've offended anyone. That was not my intent. I was just giving another point of view. One that, to me, seems very interesting. To clarify: 70% of the Fracture Rate was attributed to the consumption of animal protein. The more animal protein injested, the more calcium in the urine was increased. According to many studies (beginning in the 1970's), "animal protein increases metabolic acid and draws calcium from the bones....doubling protein (mostly animal-based) from 35-75 g/day causes an alarming 50% increase in urinary calcium."

And to clarify again, I don't think that small farmers are bad at all. I was refering to the milk and cattle industry. Doesn't is seem strange that the head of the USDA was a top official of the beef industry? It just seems to me a conflict of interest. But I do apologize if I've offended you. But to be fair, I'm not totally ignorant of the industry. I've read a great deal about them.
Thanks for your reply though.

>I guess I can't let this pass, either........
>
>>It seems that researchers at Yale university's School of
>>Medicine found in a peer-reviewed study that 70% of the
>>fracture rate (from 34 seperate surveys in 16 countries)
>were
>>a result of animal protein consumption.
>
>This doesn't make sense to me. Does that mean that the other
>30% were vegetarians???????
>>
>>"these researchere explained that animal protein, unlike
>plant
>>protein, increases the acid load in the body. An increased
>>acid load means that out blood and tissues become more
>acidic.
>>The body does not like this acidic enviroment and begins to
>>fight it. In order to neutralize the calcium, which acts as
>a
>>very effective base. This calcium, however must come from
>>somewhere. It ends up being pulled from the bones, and the
>>calcium loss weakens them, putting them at greater risk for
>>fracture."
>
>
>"It is known that high protein intake increases the calcium
>requirement. However, the association between protein and
>osteoporotic bone fractures in individuals has not been fully
>explored.
>
>Reduced protein intake has been linked to low femoral neck
>bone density in elderly hospitalized patients. In these
>individuals, clinical outcomes following hip fracture were
>significantly enhanced when protein intake was normalized
>through nutritional supplementation."
>
>(Source: National Institutes of Health, Osteoporosis and
>Related Bone Disease-National Resource Center)
>>http://www.osteo.org/default.asp
>
>
>>Well, I think all we need to do is consider the beef and
>dairy
>>industry. They are extremly rich with a great many "friends"
>>in government.
>
>I take great offense to this statement. I grew up on a
>farm/ranch and my husband's family is still in the beef cattle
>business. These people are not "extremely rich with a great
>many friends in government". They work VERY hard to make a
>living. This includes many dairies in this area and across
>the country. To make a blanket statement like that displays
>your ignorance about the industry.
>

Um - just in case anyone wants to know, this article was written by Stephen Gullo, PhD, psychologist and president of Institute for Health and Weight Sciences' Center for Healthful Living in New York City. He is former chairman of the National Obesity and Weight Control Education Program at Columbia-Presbytarian Medical Center and author of "The Thin Commandments" published by Rodale Press.

--Lois

Actually it was 70% of the fractures,not people. And I don't think the author is talking about lessining the intake of protein. Of course protein is vital to our diet. He is talking about animal protein specifically. Yes, taking a calcium supplement is a great idea, as well as drinking soy milk (which has tons of calcium as do many veggies). A diet must have protein to be complete. It just doesn't need to be from an animal source.

Thanks for the other article. It was interesting. The reason why I thought this book was interesing because it addressess an issue that has never been addressed. And in the largest scale of ANY nutrition study. The study is basically about a non animal diet (vegan) vs. the vegetarian diet (including milk and eggs) and meat based diets. The findings were extraordinary and staggering. At least to me.

I hate milk and haven't drank it for EVER........but I love my yogurt. I eat a few servings daily!! Dannon Light mmmmmmmmmmmm

i want to thank you for posting this article. sometimes it's good to discuss new ideas. i think everyone has to do their own research and decide what approach to take to their eating habits. for every article written there are ten more articles that disagree with it. last year i read "fit for life" there were a lot of facts and opinions in it that i had never heard before, but seemed to make a lot of sense. so again, i think everyone should do their own thing and live and let live.

"I used to want the words "She tried" on my tombstone. Now I want "She did it". Katherine Dunham ;-)

>Maybe the people in other parts
>of the world they investigated for this study have e.g. a
>shorter lifespan because other living conditions are a lot
>worse for them then worrying about getting enough calcium like
>say getting enough to eat period, or access to clean water, or
>immunizations to curable diseases etc, before osteoporosis has
>a chance to develop.
>
>

Suzanne, ITA. This is the first thing that popped into my head when I read that post. People in Europe and the US have much longer lifespans than most of the rest of the world, and thus live long enough to develop age-related problems like osteoporosis. You can't compare statistics on hip fractures between 1st and 3rd world nations unless the study specifically targets certain age brakets that are similar - like for people under 40 or something. There are just too many variables here to make that kind of comparison meaningful.

I live in "cheese" country where the government states you need at least three glasses of milk each day and must eat many more other dairy products. However they only come out with these recommendations cause "noone ever told them that milk could have a negative effect on health and until someone does they will keep on recommending milk" (government health official). I think that's the most stupidist thing I've ever heard and probably a "money talks" statement.

However, doesn't it make you wonder that the human species is the only animal that drinks other animals milk which is meant to be for raising calfs? No other animal does that. From an evolutionairy point, people were not meant to drink other animals milk. Certainly not in the amounts we seem to digest dairy and dairy products.

Anyways, what worries me is that cow's milk contains natural growth hormones for the calf. People don't need these hormones. And it worries me what effect these hormones have in a human body, especially since I haven't seen much research on it. Given the amounts we Dutch eat and drink, maybe that's why we are statistically the tallest in the world (just kidding) or maybe that's why we have these high cancer rates cause that growth hormone has to make something grow in an adult right?

I have very much limited consumption of dairy in my household for these reasons.

Dutchie

Interesting discussion, but once again I find myself confused with all these different reports and guidelines. Milk is good, milk is bad. Animal protein is good, animal protein is bad. Everytime you turn around, some other food is the hero, and last week's wonder food is the goat. Seems to me that moderation in all things is the key. Commen sense is the one nutrient that many seem to be lacking.

All I can tell you is my DH thinks I have an amazing metabolism because I can eat so much ice cream and not gain weight, and I DO NOT have an amazing metabolism and I am not naturally thin and I have struggled with my weight all of my life. Of course, ice cream has a lot of calcium.

Aside from wine, ice cream is my only real guilty pleasure. I rarely eat cake, pie, cookies, candy or the like.

I eat ridiculously large amounts of ice cream and my DH shakes his head and doesn't understand "where I put it". He's the only one who really knows how much I eat.

So I really think there may be something to this whole "ice cream diet" stuff, even though it sounds silly and I would never recommend to anyone to eat as much as I do because of the sugar content.

Just my two cents worth.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.