Cakey Foundation

eminenz2

Cathlete
I have a few different foundations I've tried. I like the colors but no matter what product I use it looks cakey on my face. I've upped my water intake, tried extra moisturizer, tried 'primers' (Oil of Olay/Cover Girl and L'Oreal', but nothing seems to keep my foundation looking like it's on top of my skin rather than in my skin, if that makes sense.

Oooh, and isn't it lovely they way it nestles right into the little fine lines around the eyes? So attractive! :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for tips!

P.S. I'm 45 yo., which I know has an effect on my makeup routine.

I use the smasbox primer (truly the best) and the Smashbox BB cream in "Light". You can use more or less for the level of coverage, but generally I just use a thin layer of the BB cream, then a powder on top because I don't like to look shiney, and it is not cakey or creasey at all.

BB cream is generally lighter than a standard foundation, it actually has primer in it, but I still use a primer anyway.

I am 48 and I have just started using Aveda tinted moisturizer. I then use my Clinique pressed powder over that. I have been very happy with the results. I find that I don't even need to use moisturizer and I have stopped using a primer. I just felt too "cakey" too with the other things I was using. I was using moisturizer, then primer, then foundation. It was over-kill for me.

I am much happier with this, not to mention easier.

Best wishes.

If you're using a liquid foundation, try applying with a makeup brush (looks like a paintbrush). You could also use a bit of foundation blended in your hand with a bit of moisturizer to ensure you're not overapplying. I also find mineral foundations (Everyday Minerals) blend beautifully, although I've begun just using VitaZing Tinted Moisturizer from Origins. As with everything, if you overapply, it will look it. Less is more!

That's exactly what I do - I have a MAC brush and mix the foundation with the moisturizer but can never really get it thin enough. I do have a couple of tinted moisturizers that I use occasionally (One is the Aveeno(?) but the color is too yellow and is thick thick thick.) The other is Neutrogena.

You can get Smashbox at Sephora or online at Home | Smashbox Cosmetics, and I have seen it at some department stores, but not certain which ones, maybe Nordstroms.

BB stands for Beauty Balm, and a lot of companies make it now, I think it started in Japan, and became extremely popular. It really is just foundation, but has some other benefits (so they say), but it's been working really well for me.

Here's a direct link to the one I use, I am pretty fair, but I find Light is the best option for me, usually the "fair" shades are too white/pale for me.
SMASHBOX CAMERA READY BB CREAM SPF 35 > Foundation > Face | Smashbox Cosmetics

I have a few different foundations I've tried. I like the colors but no matter what product I use it looks cakey on my face. I've upped my water intake, tried extra moisturizer, tried 'primers' (Oil of Olay/Cover Girl and L'Oreal', but nothing seems to keep my foundation looking like it's on top of my skin rather than in my skin, if that makes sense.

Oooh, and isn't it lovely they way it nestles right into the little fine lines around the eyes? So attractive! :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for tips!

P.S. I'm 45 yo., which I know has an effect on my makeup routine.
Are you using a Clarisonic? I noticed a difference in my skin within a few days. I also use the Peter Thomas Roth Unwrinkle line. It has really smoothed my skin out and my makeup looks more natural.

I've seen the Clarisonic on the shelf. I remember having something similar when I was a teen. Back then I used it a few times and then it just kind of sat in the bathroom counter until my mom moved it to the linen closet (because I never used it).

What I did this morning

I mixed a little bit of foundation with a couple squirts of the primer and a bit of moisturizer. The foundation went on much more sheer with the brush and voila! No cakieness!

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm going to look into a couple of those products (and the Clarisonic)!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.