C shaped push back believers beware

fuzzyears

Last fall I asked for information on the C shaped push back exercise to practise for my March delivery date. (I had a baby boy on March 13, 7 lb, 9 oz. drug free). When I was ready to push and at the time excited to apply the technique that Sheila shared with us, I was in for a rude awakening. My doctor and the nurse told me not to breathe out on the contraction!!!! Needless to say I was a bit confused and it took me a few tries to push the way they told me to which was to hold my breath in! Being that it was my first child I didn't know any better and listened to the doctor- his instructions took me by surprise and at the time I wasn't in the mood to argue with him. If I were to do this all again, I would have discussed this with him during my regular check ups. I didn't see this one coming, I had assumed that the doctor knew about this new pushing technique. I am sharing this with you in hopes of preventing other moms of having to go through what I did. It's odd that the one thing I was most smug about (I practised this pushing technique religously) ended up not being used.

Thank you for sharing this! Was this in the post by Sheila about using your core muscles while pushing? I printed that one off at the time, but haven't thoroughly read it yet.

I completely relate with your shock at being told to hold your breath while pushing. Somewhere I've read this is called "purple pushing" (maybe in Sheila's post?). It makes no sense. When I had my first daughter, I too was caught unawares when they suddenly told me to hold my breath and push while they did a veeery slow count to ten. The whole process experience seemed completely unnatural and wrong. I printed off Sheila's post in hopes that I could do it differently this time, and I intend to specifically address this issue with my birthing team well in advance of the big day, this time around.

If you're referring to a different post than I am, would you mind telling me what I should search for?

Thanks again for bringing up this issue. Congratulations on your baby boy!! I hope you're enjoying new motherhood!

Sandra

The doctors and nurses tried to do the same thing to me, but I just ignored them after awhile. It wasn't easy when you are being cheered to hold your breath, but it felt better Sheila's way. But yes, be prepared.

I thought that holding your breath was the way you were supposed to push??? Okay, I'm confused now....cause when I think about the action...to me, unless I have it all wrong...BREATHING during a push would seem unnatural..heck...IMPOSSIBLE! lol What am I missing here??? HELP! lol

~Wendy~

I smoked my last cigarette on March 17, 2004 at 10:00 pm!

http://lilypie.com/days/050519/1/0/1/-5/.png[/img]
EDD: 05/19/05

It is just like excercise. Your muscles need oxygen when you are exerting yourself. Holding your breath while you push, as opposed to breathing, cause your blood vessels to burst anywhere there is strain, usually in your face and vaginal area. I had hematomas all over from holding my breath while I was pushing with my first vaginal delivary. I think that the reason they want you to do this is so that they think that you have long hard pushes this way, I don't know. I was very pissed at my DS#1 doctor after I had DS#2 with a completely different technique (and had a midwife as opposed to a doctor) called "do what feel natural to you and listen to your body, so breath or grunt if you want to." How revolutionary. I hope that we are not scaring you, Wendy! On your time off, read as much as you can and educate yourself as much as possible so that you can make your own educated decisions. It is your body, after all.:D

I just did a quick search and found the post that I believe fuzzyears was referring to. I also found a reply from Sheila regarding the C Shaped Push Back. I have copied and posted both below. This is such good information to have!!! Thank you to the original posters!

Sandra

"Powerful Pushing
New Method Promises Safer, More Efficient Delivery

By Susan Hyde

It’s “Labor Day” – the day you’ll finally meet that little life that has grown inside of you for 40 weeks. Are you prepared to push? No doubt about it, the pushing stage of labor is a very physical experience. And while nothing can truly prepare you for the emotional end of your nine-month race, you can do a lot to prepare your body for the work ahead. In fact, you can train your body to work efficiently with your contractions if you coordinate your breathing and abdominal muscles while relaxing the pelvic floor muscles. The result, called coordinated pushing, is a safe and practical alternative to traditional pushing methods that are often less efficient.

Essential Oxygen
The first element of an efficient, coordinated push is breathing. Not the “hee-hee, haw-haw” breathing that laboring moms often use to get through the first stages of labor, but deep abdominal breathing at the beginning of a contraction followed by a controlled full-belly exhalation.

Traditionally, when a woman is ready to push out her baby, she has been told to hold her breath and “bear down” in a fashion similar to passing a bowel movement. Certainly, this strategy will get the baby out; however, research shows that women who push this way have a higher rate of negative physiological results, including increased tearing of the perineum and decreased oxygen to both the mother and baby. Furthermore, breath holding during sustained muscle contractions reduces blood flow to the mother’s heart and brain and causes increased blood pressure.

Perinatal fitness expert Sheila Watkins adds that breath holding during pushing causes a woman to “push her abdominals outward and reflexively tighten her pelvic floor.” The result is a less efficient push since the abdominals are not working with the contractions, and the perineal area is not relaxed and ready for the exiting baby. “In fitness classes, we have all been told to ‘exhale on exertion,’” Watkins says. “So why should women hold their breath during the biggest exertion of their life?”

Another negative consequence of breath holding is that increased blood pressure may cause small capillaries in the face to burst. For this reason, pushing without the benefit of oxygen is often called “purple pushing.” Wendy Woodlief, mother of two, knows all too well about purple pushing. She emerged from her first labor and delivery with a beautiful little boy, but she looked more like she’d spent time in a boxing ring than a labor and delivery room. “My face broke out with small red dots, and the whites of my eyes were red – all from capillaries bursting!” Woodlief says.

Power House Abs
Dancers know it. Athletes know it, too. Fit abdominal muscles do much more than make you look good. In fact, fitness experts agree that trained abdominals, often called the body’s “power house,” are the core of a strong, efficient body. During pregnancy, however, abdominals take on even greater importance. In addition to having better posture and fewer backaches, pregnant women with trained abdominal muscles will be more efficient during that final push!

The belly press is an ideal strengthening exercise for prenatal abdominals that is also a component of the coordinated push. This exercise can be executed in a standing or sitting position; however, many women find that they are most comfortable completing this exercise while leaning into a supported stability ball or pillows.

Inhale deeply, allowing your lower abdominals to rise. If you are having difficulty isolating your abdominal area, you may want to place your hands on your abdomen so that you can actually see your belly rise. Now press your navel to your spine, causing a slow, forced exhalation. Continue the press until you have no more air to exhale, and hold the contraction for several seconds. Take another abdominal breath and repeat the exercise. Concentrate on the intensity of each belly press rather than on the number of repetitions. Simply perform enough repetitions to cause a slight fatigue in your abdominal area.

Pelvic Floor Primer
The third element of coordinated pushing requires that you learn to relax the muscles of your pelvic floor (the “Kegels”). Since Kegels typically provide support for the bladder and prevent urine leakage, these muscles are usually somewhat contracted throughout the day. Typically, we think of releasing the Kegels only when we are eliminating. While pushing, however, Kegel relaxation will allow the baby to pass through the birth canal with the least amount of resistance. In addition to shortening the pushing stage of delivery, women who have learned to relax their pelvic floor experience a lower incidence of perineal tears and episiotomies and may experience less pain during delivery.

To perform a basic Kegel, draw in the muscles of your vagina as though you are holding in urine. Hold the contraction for several seconds, and then concentrate on completely relaxing your pelvic floor. You will want to use the restroom before practicing this exercise!

Putting It All Together
Now that you know the elements of this more efficient pushing technique, you’ll want to spend time practicing so that it will be second nature when the time to push actually arrives.

Inhale deeply, allowing the air to fill your abdomen. During actual pushing, you should begin the inhalation at the beginning of a contraction.
Now exhale, contracting your navel to your spine. Imagine that your exhalation and belly press are gently pushing your baby into the birth canal. It may help to drop your chin and allow your spine to fall into a C-curve. During the real pushing process, you may find it helpful to grunt or otherwise vocalize during the exhalation. Hold the contraction for several seconds at the end of each press. During actual pushing, you may need to repeat the abdominal breathing and belly press several times during each of your body’s natural contractions.
As you are contracting your abdominal muscles, completely relax your pelvic floor. This is the most difficult part of the coordinated push since we typically tighten our Kegel muscles during exertion. It may help to relax your legs and buttocks as well.
The coordinated push takes practice, but it is frequently advocated by midwives and perinatal fitness instructors, because it less strenuous for the mother and baby. Furthermore, it can be performed in any number of birthing positions.

Woodlief enthusiastically attests to the benefits of coordinated pushing. Having abandoned her “purple pushing” in favor of the coordinated method in her second delivery, she reports that “there was no comparison” to her first delivery. Having prepared her body in advance, she was able to breathe and push without medication. In contrast to the 45 minutes of stitching she experienced after her first birth, she was able to avoid perineal damage as well. Better yet, her baby’s first photos don’t include a mother with a mottled complexion and red eyes!

About the Author: Susan Hyde is a stay-at-home mother of two, a freelance writer and editor and a certified perinatal fitness instructor."
-------------------------------------------------------------------

“C–Shape Pushback” (pressing into the Resistaball which is anchored by the wall)
Note: Start by leaning back into the Resistaball. Curl the upper body into a “C– Shape” by pushing into the ball with lower back (i.e. contracting abdominals). Imagine “giving your baby a hug with your abs.” Return to starting position

Prime Movers– Rectus Abdominus, Internal and External Obliques, Transverse Abdominus

If you would like a picture, please email me at [email protected].

Like Jeni said, "Keep on pushing back!" It does make a difference.

Sheila

Sheila S. Watkins, MLSci.
Founder and National Program Director
Healthy Moms(R) Fitness
Resistaball Master Trainer
www.healthymomsfitness.com and www.healthymomsnc.com

I don't have a copy of the article but another poster did put it in- thank you. The one I received from Sheila had a before and after picture with it. The doctor told me that holding your breath produces more powerful pushes and to count to 10 as well (I was not impressed and all that kept going through my head were all the aspects that the article that Sheila shared with me touched on- purple pushing, tearing, etc., fortunately I didn't have that happen to me although I did end up with a lovely episiotomy!!). I am glad to see that others are discussing this with their doctor prior to their deliver day!

Hello all,

Love the dialogue on the "C-Shaped Pushback" method of pushing. One by one we can change what is unfortunately perceived as normal! Not!!!! You go girls!!!!!

Good luck to all of you in preparing for your "big day."

Happy Mother's Day too.

Sheila

I wanted to piggy-back here and say that while I had a c-section with my first, every client I have trained in class or privately calls me and says, "Hooray for the c-shaped push-back. My doctor said he/she has never seen someone push so effectivley before!" I also train an Ob/Gyn from Northwestern Memorial here in Chicago and asked her why, to the best of her knowledge, they make people hold their breath and count to ten (and who determines how fast that count should go?!) She said that they find women do better when someone helps them round their shoulders up (so they're body is making a C-shape in the upper body) and then bear down. When I said oh my gosh how this contradicts all physical effort in fitness, she said "well, what should we be doing?". I taught her c-shape push-back, which she used with her 1st baby, and she now tries to show all her patients how to modify it in a hospital bed. I am to come train her staff and do a workshop on the concept as well. As a funny side note, I made her lie down flat last week (6 weeks pregnant with baby #2), I helped her lift her shoulders, told her to bend her knees, keep her chin to her chest, and hold her breath while trying to do a crunch. She said it made her feel sick and she was exhausted after doing one. So I asked her, "then why would you make someone do it who's trying to push a whole person out of their body?". She simply replied - "point taken".

On one last note, as another respondee said, all my clients who do it have said they when told to do otherwise, they just smile, say ok, and keep on with the c-shape push-back!

Keep up the good work!!

jeni - Healthy MOMs Certified, momma to Olivia (9/14/02), due with #2 7/20/05

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.