Butt kick modifier?

trixie108

Cathlete
In 40/20 when Cathe does butt kicks, what would be an alternate or modified exercise to do? I feel like my knees are going to explode when I do these!! TIA :)

In 40/20 when Cathe does butt kicks, what would be an alternate or modified exercise to do? I feel like my knees are going to explode when I do these!! TIA :)

Try starting in the Butt Kick postion on your step with both hands securely on your step, and slowly step over the step one leg at a time...while flexing the lifting leg to your buttocks. Just a thought.

I would suggest starting with a 6" or 8" step. Cathe does these in 4-Day Split's Bootcamp using a 6" step. I would do them that way for awhile and then work up to a 12" step (like she uses in HiiT). And I would also suggest going at a slower tempo. This way, I think you'll be able to keep the motion more controlled so you aren't having to slam your feet into the floor each time your feet touch down.

What they said - plus, just focus on getting over the step initially. Don't worry about actually kicking your butt - just get the feel for getting your feet over the step each time (this one actually scares me - I always feel like something is going to go horribly wrong and I'm going to hurt myself). After you've mastered that, you can start aiming to get your kicks closer to your butt each time. Then, raise the step height. I'm still at the low step, just get over it phase myself, so I'm right with you!!

Some options that might work for you :
1) Try starting in a straddle position with hands on the step, then when doing the 'kickbutt", bring the heels up and land with feet on the step. Step or jump down to initial position

2) do the 'kickbutt' move with hands on the step (step widthwise rather than lengthwise) and body and feet off the step.

3) do a mountain climber with hands on the step, focusing on the bend of the leg to better mimic the hamstring action of the kickbutt move

HTH!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.