BURNT OUT

runrn7

CATHE~

I AM COMING OFF AN INTENSE ENDURANCE TRAINING SUMMER/FALL, AND TAKING A BREAK FROM A RECOVERY MONTH OR TWO.

I WANT TO START UP AGAIN RENEWED...MY QUESTIONS ARE...

HOW MANY DAYS/WEEK OF LIFTING AND HOW MANY DAYS OF CARDIO ARE NEEDED TO LEAN OUT WITHOUT GETTING BURNT OUT? I WAS DOING CARDIO 6 DAYS/WEEK, SOMETIMES ONE DOUBLE DAY (I WAS TRAINING FOR A TRIATHLON AND A MARATHON, BUT THAT IS OVER NOW), AND I WAS TRYING TO LIFT TWO-THREE TIMES/WEEK.

I WAS BURNT OUT, AND FEELING LIKE WORKING OUT WAS A JOB NOT FOR FUN OR ENJOYMENT.

I ENJOY CARDIO, AND I LOVE THE WAY I LOOK WHEN I LIFT. BUT, THE LOWER HALF OF MY BODY IS THE BIGGEST PROBLEM AREA...IT IS THE HARDEST TO LEAN OUT/TIGHTEN UP/SEE RESULTS. SO...ONE DAY/WEEK LEGS ONLY AND TWO DAYS/WEEK UPPER BODY, OR IS IT BETTER TO DO THREE DAYS/WEEK TOTAL BODY?

AND HOW MANY DAYS FOR CARDIO? SHOULD THEY VERY IN INTENSTIY/DURATION?

I RUN, BIKE, ELLIPTICAL, AND SWIM. NEED TO GET MY CATHE TAPES OUT AND START DOING ONE OF THEM ONCE/WEEK AS WELL...THANKS SO MUCH!

PAMELA

Not Cathe, but I'd recommend reading the ebook, Burn the Fat, by Tom Venuto. He offers a lot of advice on training and nutrition. It's easily downloadable since it's all text. www.burnthefat.com.

Congratulations, BTW, on the triathlon - WOW! No wonder you're burned out. If you don't mind my asking, how did you do?

As far as the lower half, welcome to my world. I'm following the Nov 06 rotation that Cathe put together under the Rotation forum. I read that others acheived some good results for the lower 1/2.

HTH,
Terri

Pamela - Not Cahte, but you might want to post this on open forum (try not to use all caps, though as in cyberland, that signfies that you are yelling, and I know you don't mean that! :+) as you'll get more response over there.

In the mean time, my suggestion would be to simply work on finding the fun of exercising again (I know how training for an endurance event can seem like a job in and of itself). Mix it up - do some cardio, interval workouts, total body and some 3 day splits - just don't work the same muscle group two days in a row, but I know you know that. Once you find the fun factor, then start worrying about how often, etc. And if you change things up and pay attention to your body, you might find what works best for keeping your lower body lean - it differs from person to person.

HI! and thanks for your advice!

I did not mean to "yell" with my capital letters.

I did great in the triathlon, but plan on doing better this year. I am signed up for three of them.

I also just ran a marathon recently in under 4 hours...my goal!

I did post to the other site, an hope I get some more advice.

finding the fun in working out is a goal! And the mixing things up will def. help!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.