bulging abs

L

Lynne

Dear Cathe,

Me again!! I just love your videos, but since I have started doing the abs training, but abs are bulging out instead of becoming flat. They are noticibly outward!!! (make sense?) Why has this happened? I am careful to watch my back and keep my tummy in, but it doesn't seem to work. Also I ahve been terribly sore two-three days after strength training, it is safe to retrain even if my muscle are sore, you say two day in between workouts, but by day 2 I still ache?

Thanks again, can't wait for the new videos to come!!!

Hi Lynne!

Before I go into a check list of things that you need to be aware of, let me start by first saying that even the most well-exercised abdominals will not be truly flat since the abdominal wall must curve to accomodate your internal organs. Now knowing that, it is important to be aware of the following in order to help get the leanest abs possible:

1) Proper diet. No matter how in shape your abs are, they will appear to have a bulge if they are hidden under excessive body fat.

2) Proper posture. If you have poor posture, your abdominal wall will take on a protruding appearance.

3) Exhaling on the exertion of your crunch. If you hold your breath when you do crunches, you could be developing a firm pot belly appearance.

As far as your strength training workout question, if you are still exceptionally sore after two days, then chances are you are fairly new to either weight trainig in general or to this specific new rotation. In either case, the soreness will eventually become less and less as you get more acclimated to the workout. But when you are this sore, it may help to do a light cardio workout(followed by a good stretch and a warm bath)on the second day. This will break up a lot of the lactic acid(which is causing the soreness)and make the third workout day much more comfortable for you. Hope this helps!

Hi Lynne

I just wanted to add to what Cathe said. I have had problems with this also thinking I just couldn't get that last bit of fat or that I was doing the exercises wrong. It turned out I had a lot of gas/bloating/fluid in my abdomen. I've had some health problems and I found this out by having a CT of my abdomen and finding out there was absolutely no fat there. So, in addition to what Cathe suggested, make sure there are no health problems that would cause this.
Laura

Thanks guys

It's so nice to hear from you all out there. Thanks Cathe for such a great service. I feel as though I belong to a great club here in saudi Just by beign able to communicate with you people. Thnaks
Lynne

Saudi Arabia?

Hi Lynne!

Did I read that correctly? You are in Saudi Arabia?

If so, are you a local, or are you there on assignment, job, school, etc. from another country (not that it's really any of my business, feel free to ignore me!)?

I ask because I am also overseas (in Okinawa, Japan). My husband is in the military. I have found Cathe's forum and the VF forum to be absoultely essential in keeping a good exercise support network going! It's hard over here in a military community--not many military wives here work out, and those that do usually scoff at exercise videos!

Anyway, my husband just deployed to Saudi Arabia and will be there for 3 months. That's mainly what sparked my interest when I saw you write soemething about Saudi in your post!

Good luck with your workouts!
Renae

Yes, Saudi was right!

Hi there, yes I do live in Saudi. I am here with my husband and children. He is Cheif Engineer for the RSAF. We have been here for 3 years. Due to the culture, there are no health clubs as Saudi is very strict.

We are not forces, civvies in fact, so find the forces way of life very frustrating!!! Although alot of the wprkforce are ex RAF, they still think that they are in the RAF and the wives lead alot to be desired.

I live in Dhahran, so tell me where your husband is deployed to?

I have been very lucky with getting my videos throught as everything has to be opened and viewed by customs, what they don't like they confiscate and fine you lots of money. As I said, I have bben lucky!!!!!

Hope your husband enjoys his stay in Saudi!

bulging abs also

I was glad to read I'm not the only one who has bulging abs even after obsessive workouts. I thought I was doing all the things Cathe suggested. I guess I'm not because I have that firm pot belly Cathe spoke about.

bulging abs also

I was glad to read I'm not the only one with bulging abs even after obsessively working out. I thought I was doing everything Cathe suggested, but I guess I'm not because I have that firm pot belly Cathe spoke of.

Abs/Bloating

I have read that for some people doing repetitive crunches can cause the stomach to bulge.

I also had a little pouch from gas & bloating. So now everytime I eat I have to take a gas pill (Phazyme). It gets rid of the excess bloating and I feel much better also.

Wow!

Small world, huh?

I am not sure where my husband is deployed, to be honest. I know it's one of the smaller bases there. It's pretty much strictly a temporary duty assignment--there are very few permanent party members stationed there. However, there is a gym on the base he is at, so he will be able to work out--he was relieved to hear that! But he was very distressed to learn he won't have access to even a single beer the whole time he is there!
happy.gif

He also mentioned the thing about customs opening all the packages--he wanted me to tape some shows and send them to him, but then it turns out I can't do that, because if the tape is not marked they will probably confiscate it. He also said be sure I do not get cute and send some "naughty" pictures in any package I may send him--who knows where it could end up!
wink.gif

Do you enjoy living in Saudi? How long do you plan on being there?

Anyway, it was nice to hear from you! Good luck with any future packages you receive!!

Renae

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.